Can I find the scans that a PG book was made from?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Is there an easy way to find the scans that were used to make a Project Gutenberg ebook? I thought there was a way to do this and that I had done it before but I'm not figuring it out today. I'm trying to understand the layout of a PG book that I want to BC because the headings are different sizes for no reason that appears apparent to me, and so I wanted to look at the original book if possible.

Maybe I'm misremembering this being linked somewhere but if not, can someone clue me in? Thanks very much for your help!

Jill :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

What's the PG text?

It's possible info is listed in the header/footer of the PG text. One I found has this:

Produced by MFR, John Campbell and the Online Distributed
Proofreading Team at http://www.pgdp.net (This file was
produced from images generously made available by The
Internet Archive)

...which would lead me to search at IA.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Many of the PG books have scans at archive - you need to use the Archive search on the title , they don't show in Google searches. Anne
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

This is the title I'm looking at: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/44609.

I can't find much production information at all, and it doesn't seem to be on Archive.

J
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Greg Weeks (gweeks) would know. PM him. He's a proofreader for PG; helped me get a book up on PG from the original.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We had another project that looked like that recently but I still can't remember which . All those big capital letter bits aren't chapter devisions , they are just the paper/pamphlet/broadsheet way of emphasing the "good" bits . Sort of headlines insert in the text , And they were just read as part of the text. Which would work for this I feel - the reader could emphasise them a bit and read it slower if they wanted .

so " I was walking down the stree minding my own business and what should I see but a GIANT BEAR with a long curly tail and GIANT TEETH . He asked me the way to the zoo politely as the POLICE were all thinking about going on STRIKE, so I told him then RAN FOR MY LIFE and SCREAMED at the bus driver and justs caught the last bus which got me HOME SAFELY

Anne
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Thank you! I wondered about that being the case with them not actually being chapters, just emphasized words.

The thing that's really baffling me is why there are two different sizes of "subheaders". For the first bunch they are slightly bigger than those for the rest of the book. It looks like it was done purposely in the coding for the book's web page so I'm not sure what it means. Maybe they were just replicating a weird type set glitch from the book? I think I need to just not worry about it but I did want to make sure I was not missing some book organization that should be reflected in the section divisions.

Thanks for the help.

Jill
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

I'm not Greg Weeks :) but I did some checking:

There do not seem to be any online scansets of that book. I checked The Internet Archive, HathiTrust, and Google Books. The ebook wasn't done by Distributed Proofreaders, but an independent producer for PG. So the odds are that the submitter may have scanned his/her own copy of the book or a library copy (or did a "type-in").

You could check WorldCat (http://www.worldcat.org/), and see if there is a library near you that may have a copy of the book.

Don
jillebean wrote:This is the title I'm looking at: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/44609.

I can't find much production information at all, and it doesn't seem to be on Archive.

J
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Thanks for checking around Don! I do see there are some print versions of the book at the big libraries around here so I could request it. I appreciate very much your help. :)

Jill