Virus problem. Any suggestions?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
jinxerCO

Post by jinxerCO »

I recently downloaded Audacity and the Lame encoder on my computer, which is protected luckily by Norton. However, I did almost end up with a very nasty virus, and although it ended up being fine, it took around 4 hrs. of scanning by Norton to set things straight.

So, regardless to say, I'm a bit hesitant to try re-downloading either program. I would feel safer purchasing both, for a nominal fee. Anyone else know of this problem (if you google it supposedly Audacity has quite a virus and spyware issue) and have a solution? I really would love to become a reader, but cannot put my family computer stuff at risk.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I have occasionally seen "virus" reports when people download Audacity, but it does seem to be a misinterpretation on the part of the antivirus software. I searched a little and found the following:

1 Two different sites where Audacity has been checked for the presence of viruses or malware:
http://audacity.en.lo4d.com/virus-malware-tests

http://audacity.en.downloadastro.com/antivirus-results/

2 ... and a note on the Audacity forum about a Norton malware warning triggered by Audacity:

http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67086
I tried the link you suggested and the same Malware Warning poped up. I then called Norton and they said that the Malware Warning popup box is a known prank but and dangerous one. Of coused they download button on thw Malware Warning button is just to take you to their site where your computer is infected with a code to block even the CMD prompt in the Run menu of windows. If you buy their software, they say that all the problems your having will be repaired. Norton say this ia a very dangerous scam and the only way they can get a users system up and running again after this is to run Norton's Power Eraser program (which is free) and in most cases that will remove the malisious code.

BTY, this Malware Warning popup only happens with Windows 7 OS users. No matter where on go on the Audacity web page and try to download Audacity 2.1 this pops up. Doesn't matter if it's from the Audacity's main home page download link or the audacityteam.org/download/ page.
The LAME encoder is widely used.

CNET and Sourceforge are reputable download sites for Audacity, or you can go to the Audacity homepage itself: http://www.audacityteam.org/

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on March 22nd, 2017, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

I have the latest version downloaded from fossgate - the site linked from the Audacity download page. The SHA checksums are the same as when I last downloaded it, and I've just downloaded the file again and nothing's changed. The file passes Kaspersky and Malwarebytes checks. I have no hesitation about running it.

-Ian

ETA: I haven't checked the LAME encoder - you don't state which file you're having problems with...
jinxerCO

Post by jinxerCO »

Ok, I will check on the Audacity sites again. I have Windows 10. I am not sure which program (Audacity or Lame encoder) prompted me to get the Malware pop-up saying I need to call this number right away to protect my computer from a Trojan virus that is attacking my computer, etc. I downloaded the Audacity program from their web site, and the Lame encoder from the site recommended in the Librivox getting started instructions. Luckily no harm was done, and Norton protected my computer fine, but it was a hassle to have it scrub my system so that the pop up would finally go away.

I am not very tech savvy, so I am just trying to find the safest places to download the necessary software.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

bitdefender on my computer does not complain about either download :)

it can be that you were just getting a warning that the file type you are downloading is one that is one that is frequently infected, or that your scanner could not verify the signature of the source. in that case, it warns you to be careful, but you dont have a virus.

should you get a warning again, pay close attention to what it acutally says :)
Carolin
Cori

Post by Cori »

I have no suggestions, jinxer, but I sympathise. Viruses (and the hassle of working out how to remove them) are horrible. :evil:

I'm glad you got things sorted in the end, and hope it hasn't put you off recording for us! Once everything's set up, it's straightforward, but it's that business of doing everything for the first time that's hard. Hang in there. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!