Curious....

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Lizzyerd85

Post by Lizzyerd85 »

So I've been wondering lately:

I own personally some old/ antique books (many easily within public domain... domain ) and I was wondering would I ever be able to use these books (some are collections of poetry, and I even have a set of primers! <3 ) as a solo project ? Or do you have to find the information online somewhere?

- Lizz
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Great question!

If the old book is published in or before 1922, you should be able to :) You'll have to scan the page with the publishing/copyright information and upload it (the page where it says when it was published). Here is a link explaining a little bit more from the wiki.
Kathrine
Lizzyerd85

Post by Lizzyerd85 »

kathrinee wrote:Great question!

If the old book is published in or before 1922, you should be able to :) You'll have to scan the page with the publishing/copyright information and upload it (the page where it says when it was published). Here is a link explaining a little bit more from the wiki.

Oh that's fantastic! And very exciting :clap:

What about things (books) that are collections? For example I have one that's American Poetry and Prose? (( I'm still rather new so I'm not even sure if librivox does anything like those. ))
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved this out of the "Languages Other than English" forum it was in. :)
What about things (books) that are collections? For example I have one that's American Poetry and Prose? (( I'm still rather new so I'm not even sure if librivox does anything like those. ))
Same thing - the book itself would need to be printed/published in 1922 or earlier. Something like a literature textbook wouldn't be usable. The works in them might not be edited, but it's better safe than sorry - and most of the works in a lit textbook would probably be easily found online somewhere, as they're usually popular works. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
kayray

Post by kayray »

To clarify what Tricia said -- a literature textbook published in 1922 or earlier is fine! We have lots of textbooks, poetry collections, recipe books, etc. If it was published before 1923, it's fair game. We have some pretty crazy, esoteric stuff in our catalog. Your primers sound like a wonderful choice!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Lizzyerd85

Post by Lizzyerd85 »

TriciaG wrote:Moved this out of the "Languages Other than English" forum it was in. :)

Now how in the world did I manage that?? :shock: Sorry... I try so hard to not do silly things like that. I blame working nights. :-D
kayray wrote:To clarify what Tricia said -- a literature textbook published in 1922 or earlier is fine! We have lots of textbooks, poetry collections, recipe books, etc. If it was published before 1923, it's fair game. We have some pretty crazy, esoteric stuff in our catalog. Your primers sound like a wonderful choice!
Oh that is awesome! I'm excited now, though I wouldn't really know the first thing of getting t the Primers ( the one I have is a whole collection from what was 1st grade to 6th .... but once I become a bit more advanced in the goings ons here.... )
I do have an Edgar A. Guest collection that I think I'd love to try my hand at ( Just Folk 1917 - so definitely within timeframe!)

Oh I am really excited now. :9:

Thanks for the replies, all.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ah! What you describe sounds a little like these projects:

(completed) https://librivox.org/the-ontario-readers-third-book-by-the-ontario-ministry-of-education/
(in progress) viewtopic.php?f=26&t=63414

Perhaps that will give you some idea how to go about it. You've got plenty of time to get acquainted first, and you can always ask for help. :)

Have fun!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart