what format to use for downloading text for recording?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
GlennieJ

Post by GlennieJ »

Hello! Newbie here.

Just wondering - is there a favorite format that readers use when downloading text from the Gutenberg site?

I have no idea which to choose!

I'll be putting it on an iPad pro for reading while I'm recording.

Thanks in advance
Great minds discuss ideas
Average minds discuss events
Small minds discuss people
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't use an iThing - I use my laptop - but I usually use the html version when available. It's formatted nicer than the plain text version, the text wraps better, and there are sometimes links to the chapters.

But something else might work better on a iPad. I don't know. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Most of the time I don't download; I read from the online text. Sometimes I download the ePub to my tablet (Android). This is why our catalog links to the main book page instead of to a specific format -- everybody likes to read from something different! If you'd like to hear from other iPad users ('cause I know I am being no help here), you might add "iPad" to your subject line.
Laurie Anne
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi GlennieJ,

Welcome to Libirivox! I read from an iPad mini (inside a mini sound booth). I like to download my texts from Internet Archive in PDF format which reproduces the look of the physical book. You can download either to iBooks or to a separate App (I use GoodReader).

You have to confirm that the selection is in the public domain and the surest way to do that is to check that it is also available in Project Gutenberg. But having confirmed its PD status (and also death plus 70 for authors and translators, if necessary for you and those who PL you), I like the clear typography and layout of the original texts, available via the PDFs from Internet Archive which are good for reading out loud.

I hope this helps,

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
GlennieJ

Post by GlennieJ »

Thanks Tricia, Laurie and Pam! You were all a big help! :clap:
Great minds discuss ideas
Average minds discuss events
Small minds discuss people
~ Eleanor Roosevelt