Unable to download anything from the catalog

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Is anyone else getting "404 error test page not found" messages when they try to download a book? I've tried about a dozen others since the one I wanted gave me that message and gotten the same for all of them. Fortunately, the files for the projects I'm signed onto as dpl do come up and play, but no completed projects will play online or download.
Pattymarie
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

What browser and OS are you using?
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I just downloaded a complete project about 2 hours ago, if that helps.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

I'm using Opera and Windows Seven. I've downloaded books before with them. This is the first time this has happened.
Pattymarie
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

:hmm: I just clicked on the "Download" button for this https://librivox.org/tea-cup-reading-and-fortune-telling-by-tea-leaves-by-a-highland-seer/ and got the file...

At work we have the entire 'archive.org' blocked by IT. Can it be the same for you for some reason now? Can you post the link that gives you error 404? You know, from the address field...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Usually it's one of Archives many servers playing up - but they do usually fix it within 24 hours . However the probabily of all the books you want to doenload being on the same server does seem slight :D (though the concept of a special server for books appealing to the same taste is rather nice :hmm: )
Maybe a couple of titles so an admin can do a littlemore checking might help ?

Anne
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

This is the book I want to download: https://librivox.org/the-faerie-queene-book-3-by-edmund-spenser/

And this is what I get when I click "download" the entire book: http://aidiyet.esb.org.tr/landpage?ms=http://archive.org/download/faeriequeene3_0906_librivox/faeriequeene3_0906_librivox_64kb_mp3.

I've just run down the first page of the catalog organized by title and every book gives the same result and that's quite a selection of types of books and different languages.

I hope it isn't that the country I live in has blocked librivox downloads. The country has a poor human rights record and could be annoyed at the presence of things like the universal declaration of human rights, but usually they block access to a site altogether if they find its content objectionable.

It hasn't been a full twenty-four hours since my first try, so I'll keep trying.
Pattymarie
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Thank you for the details. When I went to that book's page (first link) and clicked on the "Download" green rectangle, it let me download and this was the link:

http://ia601404.us.archive.org/1/items/faeriequeene3_0906_librivox/faeriequeene3_0906_librivox_64kb_mp3.zip

. Seems that your ISP translates the links and probably redirects the 'archive.org' to 'aidiyet.esb.org.tr'. Short of connecting through a proxy server there is little you can do, I'm afraid. When I visited Moscow I had a similar problem. The access to 'archive.org' was blocked. :(
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Thank you, Tovarisch. I'm still getting the 404 error but hope it will clear up in time.
Pattymarie
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Thanks, Tricia. I'm not in China. I've been in another country for all of the ten years I've been a Livrivox vIolunteer, and this is the first time this has happened. The government may have decided that somethings in the archive are subversive. If it doesn't clear up quickly I'll probably just have to come around to using one of the techniques for hiding your whereabouts. Other people here do that routinely when the gov. blocks Twitter or YouTube.

Thanks again.
Pattymarie
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sorry - I didn't assume you were in China. I thought perhaps the suggestions on that page might work for you, too. :)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

There is the answer, unfortunately. It looks like state DNS hijacking. This Reddit page discusses the issue.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

No reason to apologise, TriciaG. Those suggestions probably will be helpful when I finally receive my new credit card - there've been incredible problems with delivery this time - and can avail myself of those services. :)

Thank you, Ruthie, for the clarification. I'm afraid government reigns on information are being tightened.
Pattymarie
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I have asked my students of English at Jerash in Jordan to listen to and download Librivox recordings of their set literary texts. They told me they could not. Each time they tried they got redirected to <www.archive.org>, and then this message would appear:
Hmm, we can't reach this page.
Try this

Make sure you’ve got the right web address: http://www.archive.org
Refresh the page
Search for what you want

I have tried all browsers but got the same result.

Please help.

Thank you in advance.

same thing different government do you think ?

Anne