Audacity Plugin Help Needed

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
storylines

Post by storylines » December 1st, 2016, 12:16 pm

Hi clever people,

I am struggling with downloading the Replaygain plugin. The Wiki instructions are as follows:

To install this plug-in,

Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.

This is the first thing that doesn't work: my PC (running Windows 10) doesn't find an App to download the plugin

Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.

This is another thing that doesn't work: though I search, I cannot locate the program files or a plugin folder. It seems to be hidden deep in the system, and Windows search function also doesn't find Audacity itself, though plainly it is there. Right there with a shortcut on the desktop!

Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.

Obviously, nope, at this point...

When you start Audacity, look for ReplayGain under the Effect or Analyze menu. If you don’t see it, go to Analyze | Manage, find ReplayGain and “enable” it. It will then appear in either the Effect or Analyze drop down menu (depending on the version you have installed).

Analyze / manage? Nope, no such option given in the version of Audacity available to me.

I've downloaded Audacity again to make sure it is the latest version which is supposed to have this plugin already installed. But nooo...

Is it me? Or Windows 10?

Some of you are very techy, I know. Any help available from anyone?
Thank you in advance!!

Sabrina :help:

tony123

Post by tony123 » December 1st, 2016, 12:30 pm

Hi Sabrina,

This isn't very techie, but when you open your Effect menu, have you noticed the up and down arrows that appear at the left top and bottom of the popup menu? It's easy to overlook, and it turns out that the menu is too full for it to completely show without scrolling down with the arrow. You'll very possibly find ReplayGain listed lower down the Effect menu. I hope that will solve your problem without you having to go to further trouble. :)

GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse » December 1st, 2016, 12:39 pm

Hi Sabrina,
Let's start with downloading the plugin:
Look for the ReplayGain.ny link on the wiki page. If you're using the default Edge browser then you should be able to right-click on the link and use Save Target As option. Save it somewhere convenient so that you can find it later.

Now find the location of your Audacity. Use the File Explorer and locate your C: drive in the folder panel on the left. Click on it and then go to the search box (usually top right of the window). Type "Audacity" and it should find a number of files and folders - the one you want is probably called Audacity in a folder named something like C:\Program Files (x86). That's the folder where your Audacity is installed. That's where you need to copy the plugin. ETA: Failing that, search for "Plug-Ins" and it should find the Audacity plug-ins folder - you want the one under the main Audacity folder, not any other one with a similar name.

ETA2: If you have a shortcut to Audacity on your desktop, you can also use Right-Click > Open file location, to locate you Audacity folder.

Does this get you any closer?

Regards,
-Ian

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea » December 1st, 2016, 2:22 pm

I'm running Windows 10 and downloaded ReplayGain the other day, with some of the same problems, so maybe I can help you. :) I figured out that the instructions are for previous versions of Windows and Audacity, so it can be confusing.
storylines wrote:Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
This is the first thing that doesn't work: my PC (running Windows 10) doesn't find an App to download the plugin
Make sure you have selected "Save file" rather than "Open with"?
Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
This is another thing that doesn't work: though I search, I cannot locate the program files or a plugin folder. It seems to be hidden deep in the system, and Windows search function also doesn't find Audacity itself, though plainly it is there. Right there with a shortcut on the desktop!
Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
Obviously, nope, at this point...
On Windows 10 the "C:" folder is called "This PC." Search for that, open it up, and double click on "OS (C:)" You should see a bunch of folders. Double click on "Program Files (x86)." More folders. Audacity should be at the top, or near it. Open up your downloads folder (or wherever the plugin was saved.) Find ReplayGain.ny and drag it into this Audacity folder.
When you start Audacity, look for ReplayGain under the Effect or Analyze menu. If you don’t see it, go to Analyze | Manage, find ReplayGain and “enable” it. It will then appear in either the Effect or Analyze drop down menu (depending on the version you have installed).
Analyze / manage? Nope, no such option given in the version of Audacity available to me.
They don't have an Analyze | Manage button in the newest version of Audacity. Go to Analyze | Add/Remove Plugins. Scroll down until you see "ReplayGain". Click on it, then click "Enable." Then click "OK."

Go to Effects. Scroll down to the second list where you will find "ReplayGain." Click on it.

Does this help? Let me know if something isn't clear, or if you're having a different problem :)

Rachel
Rachel

"For the wretched of the earth there is a flame that never dies, even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise..." (Les Mis)

awedone

Post by awedone » December 26th, 2016, 1:45 pm

No replay gain under analyse. HELP!

tony123

Post by tony123 » December 26th, 2016, 4:06 pm

awedone wrote:No replay gain under analyse. HELP!
awedone wrote that he got ReplayGain to work in his 1-min test thread.

anneflebari

Post by anneflebari » January 28th, 2017, 10:52 pm

Be sure to drag replay gain to the "Plug Ins" folder in the Audacity program folder:)