I Mac built in microphone: can good results be had?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
AOrlans

Post by AOrlans » August 9th, 2016, 9:32 pm

I would be interested in hearing from anyone with technical expertise (all you Mac freaks out there) or direct experience (normal Mac users) on the qualities and capacities of the built in microphone on an I MAC. Can decent results be obtained with it or should I bite the bullet and invest in an external microphone?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Andrew

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » August 9th, 2016, 9:35 pm

We can't answer that , some inbuilts are good some terrible . Before you spend money record the one minute test and let one of us listen :D

Anne

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » August 21st, 2016, 5:04 pm

I suppose it depends on how picky you are. I usually record with an external mic, but once or twice I've accidentally not had it plugged in and ended up recording on the built in. It was possible to clean up thebackground noise and make an acceptable recording, but I don't do it on purpose!

If you want to start out on the cheap, I recorded for my first year here on a combined headset/mic such as telephonists use! Cost about $30 from Plantronics. It doesn't have to be expensive but I do recommend getting away from the computer fan if you can!

WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee » August 24th, 2016, 9:17 am

I used my iMac built in microphone for a year or two until I bought my Blue Yeti and it worked pretty well. My recordings had a bit of an "echoey" sound & some background noise -- but nothing that I couldn't clean up in post processing. It also depends on your computer fan - if it is loud & on often, that will yield a recording of lower quality.