Fresh CO 1U mic problem. Sorry.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
adonis

Post by adonis »

Just occurred to me I should start this as a new topic as it's not at all the same problem as the first "Hyper-Low Recording" problem; that was solved. This is different. So:

Thanks for everybody's help on this in the past, especially RuthieG; everything got fine for a few weeks, no problem. Then, suddenly, for no apparent reason, the recording quality altered. The line I saw on screen when I pressed Record appeared fuzzy the appearance of my voice on screen as I recorded appeared fuzzy too and the quality of the playback when I'd Noise Reduced and Notch Filtered and ReplayGained it was appalling. I noticed after a while that the mic selected by Audacity had flipped over to the on-computer mic; Microphone RealTek. I don't know why. But there appeared to be my answer. I had Audacity select my Samson mic instead. And now the recording volume dropped entirely. The recording line on screen was clean; but the mic was barely recording. With the mic directly in front of my mouth now (one inch away) some change appears on screen; but when I clean it and play it back it is tinny beyond belief. So the mic is working; but apparently badly. The recording volume level in Audacity is set at maxium; as is the Volume level in Properties/Recording/Sound where, also, the Samson mic is denoted as default recording device. I tried all four ports; and in one of them the fuzzy line appears on the recording screen and the mic records but with incredibly bad playback quality (after Noise Reduction and Noise Filter). So, as once or twice before, I simply can't record. Only these days I;ve got some commitments on in Librivox and I need to produce. So; how do I proceed? Drawing back no longer seems a viable option.

Tony A

More practical information: I tried selecting the on-computer mic as default to see how that work as a recording device - it recorded nothing. Then I tried the sound recording equipment that was built into the machine; last time this was suggested as a way of comparing the sound quality of recording through Audacity and recording through the computer. The sound quality was the same. I have just tried recording with a handheld mike, six inches from my face and a sock over it to reduce plosives and find it produces something tolerable; but I have to Amplify it some 15 times and then there is a background whirring noise that neither Notch Filter nor Noise Reduction can remove. Obviously, the question is whether or not I have to return the mic under guarantee; with a lot of trouble and wasted time. But it is plainly working; it is only the level that it is working at that is problematic; also a complete mystery to me. In terms of my actions having had any influence over the changes in the mic's receptivity. Still glad of any suggestions I can work with.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

May have been asked before - but do you use Skype? Skype resets my microphone settings

Anne
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

If you're quite sure that all connections are firm, and that all the settings are correct in Audacity and the control panel, you might just try looking at Sound | Recording | Microphone | Properties | Advanced and seeing if the boxes 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device' and 'Give exclusive mode applications priority' are checked. I have no idea how these work, but it could be worth unchecking or checking the boxes and see if it makes any difference. Other than that, I have no idea what is wrong, I'm afraid.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
adonis

Post by adonis »

Well, I've managed to record a chapter perfectly well; by propping the mic up against the left leg, the Kindle against my right and lying reading in bed. While this is kind of comfortable, it's also anxiety-provoking; like, is it going to start all over again? And I have to be careful not to breathe on the mic or I get wind effects. But by facing away from the mic and amplifying after, seven points or so, I get a reasonable effect; it's just very different from what it was. There doesn't seem a case for returning under guarantee, however; it's working all right, just at a different capacity. Because of - what? Who knows? I made the small changes you suggested Ruth. Well, press on and wait and see. Thank you for your help.

T
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Well, it all sounds very odd to me. But if it works for you...

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Carod

Post by Carod »

HELP!!!!

I think I have the original problem that started this topic, and the very brief background is:

I recorded with c01u mic with great success on my ageing Windows 7 laptop until recently. Upgraded laptop cos of suspected resource shortage issues affecting my recordings, and now on the new machine I get the "hyper-low sound". I get nothing recorded at all until the recording level is set to about 98, and then it's very very quiet. If I set to 100, I get volume, but it's fuzzy and poor and not at all like the lovely sound recorded by my win 7 laptop.

Some googling has suggested that this is a problem with the Windows OS from 8 on, affecting "many" USB mics, and I've seen an excerpt from a response from Samsung saying it is a problem which "Windows has refused to address".

So I'm wondering if anyone here has found a fix for this problem? Or are you all recording happily with a) other mics or b) other versions of Windows or c) Macs?

I'm feeling very depressed by this (as well as very out of pocket) at this moment, so I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Carod
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I record on Windows 10 with a Samson Meteor Mic. No problems here. I don't have any suggestions to offer, but if it is a Windows problem, it doesn't affect all mics equally, maybe?