Troublesome "Who's Who" abbreviations [help found]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » February 6th, 2007, 12:44 pm

From my next chapter of Whose Body:
FREKE, Sir Julian. Kt. er. 1916; G. C. V. O. er. 1919; K.C.V.O. 1917; K.C.B. 1918; M.D., F.R.C.P., F.R.C.S., Dr. en Méd. Paris; D. Sci. Cantab.;
I can guess that "kt" is "knight," but "er." and "D. Sci. Cantab." have me stumped. Also not sure what all the "F.R.C.P" business is but I can just read those initials out and it'll mostly make sense I think.
Last edited by kayray on February 7th, 2007, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

Justin Brett

Post by Justin Brett » February 6th, 2007, 1:04 pm

I suspect the 'er' is a misprint for 'cr' - so that would be 'created', each time it occurs.

As to the rest, GCVO is 'Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order'; KCB is 'Knight Commander of the [Most Honourable Order of] the Bath; MD - Doctor of Medicine; FRCP - Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians; FRCS - Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons; Dr. en Méd. Paris - ''Doctor of Medicine, Paris; D. Sci. Cantab - 'Doctor of Science, Cambridge'.

Hope this helps!

Justin

kri

Post by kri » February 6th, 2007, 1:20 pm

kayray wrote:From my next chapter of Whose Body:
FREKE, Sir Julian. Kt. er. 1916; G. C. V. O. er. 1919; K.C.V.O. 1917; K.C.B. 1918; M.D., F.R.C.P., F.R.C.S., Dr. en Méd. Paris; D. Sci. Cantab.;
I can guess that "kt" is "knight," but "er." and "D. Sci. Cantab." have me stumped. Also not sure what all the "F.R.C.P" business is but I can just read those initials out and it'll mostly make sense I think.
Perhaps you should read the acronyms as they are, as it will present to the listener the same in hearing as the sight you had when first reading it. Is this a serious work or a comedy? Although, if it's a serious work I suppose it's best to translate it out.

ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe » February 7th, 2007, 12:27 pm

It is 'cr' in my copy of the book & is therefore 'created'
GCVO - Knight Grand Cross of the Victorian Order
KCVO - Knight Commander of the Victorian Order
KCB - Knight Commander of the Bath (or 'Order of the Bath)
MD - Doctor of Medicine
FRCP - Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
FRCS - Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons
Dr. Sci.Cantab - Doctor of Science (Cambridge)
Can't help with the french one. Sorry
They would probably be spoken of using initials only but sound much more impresive if used in full.
Regards
Andy Minter

ceastman

Post by ceastman » February 7th, 2007, 1:19 pm

The French one is, I'm guessing, "Docteur en Medecin" (where Medecin is pronounced with minimalization of the second syllable, and a nasalized "ahn" for the second syllable.

-Catharine

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » February 7th, 2007, 1:19 pm

Thank you, everyone! Very much appreciated.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)