Is it possible to get rid of this ring in the background?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA » February 2nd, 2007, 3:55 pm

I can't figure out why sometimes when I record in Audacity I have a ring in the background and other times I don't. Is this possible to edit out? Here is a sample of what is sounds like. There isn't the ring from 01 to 09 seconds, then it's there for the rest of the sample. Any suggestions?

I have both Audacity and Goldwave as possibilities for editing, but don't know how to even go about figuring out what frequency or whatever to try and get rid of or if it's even possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sample of Ringing

Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » February 2nd, 2007, 7:26 pm

AmethystA wrote:I can't figure out why sometimes when I record in Audacity I have a ring in the background and other times I don't. Is this possible to edit out? Here is a sample of what is sounds like. There isn't the ring from 01 to 09 seconds, then it's there for the rest of the sample. Any suggestions?

I have both Audacity and Goldwave as possibilities for editing, but don't know how to even go about figuring out what frequency or whatever to try and get rid of or if it's even possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sample of Ringing
Hi! I listened to it. The "ring" as you call it is to me a "buzz." It's barely audible. I tried to work on it a little with a 30 channel equalizer and the "foreground sound (your voice) is rich and of so much of a greater volume, that it's difficult to filter it out. It seems to be in the midrange. The change is, again, hardly noticeable. I myself as not bother by it at all and I may not have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it.

Two conclusions: One, it doesn't seem to need to be fixed (for me anyway.) Two, you might want to uncover the source of the buzz. It's might suspicion that its in the input circuitry. Are you recording with special equipment? Are you recording through your computers line-in?

Sorry I can't help further. —Alan
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]

kri

Post by kri » February 2nd, 2007, 7:38 pm

I don't hear any background noise at all.

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » February 2nd, 2007, 8:12 pm

I am also in the "I don't hear it" camp. Sounds fine to me (you have a nice reading voice too! =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

kristin

Post by kristin » February 2nd, 2007, 9:49 pm

I can hear it.

Then again I can hear just about everything (and that was with the tv blaring in the background.)

I hear it as more of a whine and I'm going to throw out computer fan as a likely culprit. But I wouldn't worry about, it isn't very noticeable.

EDIT: Ah, I'm looking at a spectral view of it right now and there are three bands of noise starting around 8 seconds. That's probably it. One about 3800-4500 one from 5800-6500 and one from 7800-8500, give or take a bit.

Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » February 2nd, 2007, 10:12 pm

Right on Kristin!

What did you use to identify the "bands."
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]

earthcalling

Post by earthcalling » February 3rd, 2007, 12:26 am

I get that if I forget to turn the fridge off when I start recording (the kitchen opens onto the room I record in), and it kicks in part-way through. It's not an obtrusive noise, but you notice it when it starts part-way through.

AmethystA

Post by AmethystA » February 3rd, 2007, 2:09 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!

Alan: I am using a USB Altec Lansing headphone/mic combo.

Kristin: How did you see the bands? What software did you use?

Earthcalling: I don't have a fridge anywhere near me. I'm upstairs from it. It must be something from the computer itself then, eh? Really strange.

Being the perfectionist I am, I'll probably just re-record the last 45 minutes of this chapter that has the ring to get rid of it.

I also may try and put up a blanket over the keyhole in my desk where my CPU is, and see if that fixes or lessens the problem. It may help me further isolate where it's coming from. I'll let you know if I ever truly isolate the problem. It's just so frustrating that most of the time, I get a clear, clean recording, but never know when this sound is going to appear.

Thanks again everyone!

kristin

Post by kristin » February 3rd, 2007, 4:21 pm

I used Cool Edit which unfortunately isn't available anymore. It was bought and turned into Audition which is really expensive.

Here's a screen shot of the spectral view:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2dgn2zm4i4n

ahab

Post by ahab » February 4th, 2007, 6:10 pm

kristin wrote:I used Cool Edit which unfortunately isn't available anymore. It was bought and turned into Audition which is really expensive.

Here's a screen shot of the spectral view:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2dgn2zm4i4n

You can get power spectra using Audacity, too (the "Analyze --> Spectrum" menu).

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » February 5th, 2007, 7:07 pm

There is a very low level of background buzz...not enough to worry about. Your bigger problem is that you record at way too high a level - your voice clips throughout the recording. The waveform is off the charts.

If you reduce your recording level to eliminate the clipping, the background noise should reduce as well.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page