[SOLVED] Would a French project work for me?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Lately I read the Dutch translation of "Comment on meurt" by Émile Zola. Unfortunately this little gem was translated only very recently, so the translation will be copyrighted until long after my own death ;) There is no earlier translation, that's why I looked into the PD French version. To my surprise this small book is not yet in the Librivox database. Now I wonder ... sh/could I do it, using my few years of school French? Reading (out loud) French is like mirror writing to me: I can do it, but can hardly understand when listening back, and cannot discern mistakes very easily. In any case I would need a French native speaker to prooflisten, and to give feedback on any pronunciation mistake (Dutch accent not included ...) and wrong intonation (although I will keep the translation close at hand, I'm sure this could happen too). You would be my 'mirror' ;)

I recorded a small test fragment , and my question to you, dear French librivoxers: Is this worth while? -> https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/comment-on-meurt_test.mp3
Please be gentle but honest :) If it's not worth the fuss, I'ld better pass it to one of you. No matter how much I would learn myself of this project - I want the end result to be useful for listening to as well. By the way: never mind the sound quality. I was a bit too close to the mic, and did not do any cleaning of the file.
Last edited by kattekliek on May 22nd, 2015, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you live in Europe, Canada, Australia, ... any country where death date of author determines if a book is in the Public Domain? Come to legamus.eu to record books published in 1923 or later, written by authors dead since >70 years!
Ovrek

Post by Ovrek »

Hi!

This is really nice! Your accent add some charm to the beautiful language of my country :D

You mispronounced only a few words like "gouvernement" (don't forget the 'e' between the 'n' and the 'm') or "distingué" (you should pronounce the "in" just as you did in "cinquante" or in "instant").

My advice: go on with this project. I'm new to LibriVox but I'm ready to help you.
Damien
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Thanks, Ovrek! :) I think there's going to be quite some of those mistakes, but that should get better on the way through this project. Happy to hear that you like my accent ;)
I'll put up a project topic when the baby is asleep ...
Do you live in Europe, Canada, Australia, ... any country where death date of author determines if a book is in the Public Domain? Come to legamus.eu to record books published in 1923 or later, written by authors dead since >70 years!
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Ovrek, if you are willing to be the proof listener for this project, please have a look at the new topic I just made :)
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Ovrek/Damien in the meantime volunteered to PL this project. 'Problem' solved!