Help from Public Domain gurus...is this text PD?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
mcrandall

Post by mcrandall » January 28th, 2007, 11:54 pm

Letters of a Portuguese Nun

From Google Books, it appears that the scanned image is from a book published in 1893. I don't find this book on Gutenberg, but I am not sure I am searching entirely correctly.

I would love to read this, with someone who speaks French, but I don't want to get too excited about it till I am sure it's PD.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Michelle
My first novella is NOW available!
https://www.amazon.com/Souls-Fire-Memoirs-Flame-Journey-ebook/dp/B088P5LSVB

kristin

Post by kristin » January 29th, 2007, 12:13 am

If that's full text on google books with an ok copyright date it's probably ok. Unfortunately, I'm getting a 404 from that link so I can't actually look at it.

CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester » January 29th, 2007, 3:55 am

Hi mcrandall,

Looks to me as if it is PD.

However, you should be aware that, as with many books on Google Books, the full text does not seem to be available to all users. I (in the UK) am just getting a few scanned-in strips of text. I think this is because they've focussed on veryfying US PD and not necessarily checked for other countries.

I'm guessing this might make it harder for you to find a French reader.

Many thanks,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » January 29th, 2007, 6:09 am

Yes, PD... but take the time to double check that the scans are good enough to read from... we've found that a lot of the Google books have pages missing or some pages that are poorly scanned so that some of the text is missing. Looks like an interesting read... several different languages represented there too =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

mcrandall

Post by mcrandall » January 29th, 2007, 9:30 am

Thank you all for your help!

I checked and all the pages but one are scanned perfectly.

The one page that is not as good as the rest (p. 160) looks to just run into the margin on the right. Not being a speaker of French, I cannot tell if this affects the readability of that page or if a veteran speaker of the language could make it out.

Is there a French speaker out there who could help me answer this question?

Thanks,
Michelle

rootpi

Post by rootpi » January 29th, 2007, 12:16 pm

Cool - that's some old-fashioned French :)

It looked mostly readable to me (assuming that the lines end just after the edge of the page, which I think they do), except for a couple of lines near the end of the page. Worst case one would have to make a few educated guesses, but it looks close enough to me that this shouldn't stop you going forward...

Alas, my French is definitely not at the level to allow me to volunteer - sorry!

ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa » January 29th, 2007, 4:04 pm

mcrandall wrote:... The one page that is not as good as the rest (p. 160) looks to just run into the margin on the right. Not being a speaker of French, I cannot tell if this affects the readability of that page or if a veteran speaker of the language could make it out.

Is there a French speaker out there who could help me answer this question? ...
I'd help if you tell me where to view that page. I don't see where to view it from the link given above.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau

Lecteurs de poésie : RDV ici.
PIANIST(s) WANTED here.

mcrandall

Post by mcrandall » January 29th, 2007, 4:16 pm

ezwa wrote:
mcrandall wrote:... The one page that is not as good as the rest (p. 160) looks to just run into the margin on the right. Not being a speaker of French, I cannot tell if this affects the readability of that page or if a veteran speaker of the language could make it out.

Is there a French speaker out there who could help me answer this question? ...
I'd help if you tell me where to view that page. I don't see where to view it from the link given above.
Thank you for the offer - I am not sure, being in Belgium, if you can view the Google book. Carl (see above) pointed out to me that, being in the UK, he cannot view all of the book, as we in the U.S. apparently can. I'll try to post a link to an image...

IMAGE OF PAGE 160

Please let me know if that worked for you.

-Michelle

12makoto

Post by 12makoto » January 29th, 2007, 4:30 pm

Ezwa,

If you can't see the Google Books site, here's an image I made up from a quick screen capture. I'd like to see your take too. Like rootpi, I can make out the end of the words there, but I've not spent enough time with it and I'm not quite as profficient as I used to be (I'm hoping a lot of your reading on here will help me start rectifying that, thanks!) to tell if there are any words missing at the end of each line.

Page 160

Sean
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/ListOfReadersCatalogNames]Sean's Catalog Info[/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/SeanMcKinley]Sean's Projects[/url]

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » January 29th, 2007, 7:15 pm

See if there's a way you can report that misscan to google books too... it helps them increase their quality... also, if it is completely unreadable, it is possible to request a photocopy of the page via Inter-Library-Loan from your local public library =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

mcrandall

Post by mcrandall » January 29th, 2007, 9:50 pm

thistlechick wrote:See if there's a way you can report that misscan to google books too... it helps them increase their quality... also, if it is completely unreadable, it is possible to request a photocopy of the page via Inter-Library-Loan from your local public library =)
Thanks, Betsie, I did so at your suggestion. I don't know how long/if they'll rectify it, but at least they have a "bug" report! Since I live in the Bay Area, I could always head over to Stanford and photocopy that page myself. Of course, I can't read French anyway...but I could provide it to my reading partner!

-Michelle

CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester » January 30th, 2007, 4:31 am

Hi Michelle,

It's basically readable with one or two letters missing at the end of each line. If your reader has difficulty, I should be able to help.

Many thanks,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.

kristin

Post by kristin » January 30th, 2007, 4:49 am

Here is a site with a pdf. All in French, alas, so I have no idea what it says. It's date is 1996 (I think, not awake enough for roman numerals) but it could help you fill in your missing bits of words. I think the bit you are looking for is in scan 26.

http://www.alain.les-hurtig.org/lettres.html

ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa » January 31st, 2007, 12:04 am

Hi Michelle,
As Carl says, it's readable.
Though it's not the current orthograph (u for v, s that look like f,...).
If you need a hand ...
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau

Lecteurs de poésie : RDV ici.
PIANIST(s) WANTED here.