[ANSWERED] Trying to send my one minute test

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I can reach the login screen, but it doesn't accept my username or my password. I tried clicking on "forgot password" in case I was misremembering it, and it then asked me for my username, which I am sure is "Hamlet." But it's not working.

I really want to get started on some projects, but it seems after I solve one problem, another appears.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Are you talking about the login screen for 'uploader'? The username and password to use for that are not your own. The instructions are in our Wiki and in every first post for any current project in LV. Please refer to those.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You do not use your FORUM name and password to get into the uploader. Use the general one included in the 1-minute instructions:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Ah, that's my mistake then. Thanks.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It happens more often than you'd think. ;) You're not alone.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Probably a silly question for follow up, but now that I've sent it, how do I receive a reply? You have my username of course. I don't remember if my email is attached to that.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Post a request to Listeners Wanted forum. See how others do it, and do something similar...
tovarisch
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The first note in the uploader says:
Notes:

If you don't post the URLs in the forum, no one will know the files have been sent!
You must post the link given in the forum. ;)
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Okay, I admit I'm probably coming across as the dumbest person to ever attempt to use this site. I guess I'm just anxious to get started. I admit I've never been the most computer savvy person. :)

The page on creating the 1-Minute test says, "Copy the link it provides when the upload is complete, and post it in a new thread"
I'm afraid I must have missed this link. Do I need to send the file again to see it?
Also, reference is made to my "book coordinator." Who is that?

Thank you for being patient with this less-than-bright newby who just wants to start doing some reading! :)

Brad "Hamlet"
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oTSlFSoEeY&feature=youtu.be

You can start it around 2:30 or so. You've gotten that far. :)
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

The 1-minute test page references a book coordinator? Where? :hmm:

If you missed the link, just upload your file again. This will give you another chance to try and learn uploading. The link will be on the same page after uploading completes. Copy it to your clipboard (or memorize it, whatever works) then paste it in your post (or type from memory, if that works better for you).

Don't hesitate to ask questions!
tovarisch
Cori

Post by Cori »

tovarisch wrote:The 1-minute test page references a book coordinator? Where? :hmm:
It says:
If your Book Coordinator has asked you to post in the project thread, post a link to the thread you just created in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum.

So, book coordinators are the people who look after individual projects here. Sometimes newbies completely miss that we ask them to do the test first, and go straight to claiming a chapter. So, the line above is intended for those people, because they're usually directed to do a test before recording a full chapter. (There is nothing worse than doing a whooooole chapter and finding out your volume is too high, too low, mic not plugged in, etc. Been there done that for most of those. :roll:)

If you're just following the regular instructions, then it's not a problem. As tovarisch says, just upload again (the older one is renamed to include the date, it's not possible to overwrite files -- a handy safety feature.) And, you're using the MC 'tests' which is towards the bottom of the dropdown list. MCs are meta coordinators, they help book coordinators with various aspects of the project, and also put the project into the catalogue at the end.

Hope this all makes sense. But just ask if not. There's a LOT of new things to learn to start with here, but they really do become second nature after a while. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Thank you for the help earlier. I believe I've got everything accomplished correctly now. As I said, I'm anxious to get started. I posted my one-minute test hours ago, and have been waiting this long for a reply. I know I probably sound impatient, but how long is this wait normally? I was hoping to read something today. :)
Cori

Post by Cori »

It's between a few hours and a few days, depending on who's able to check and what else is going on. :D We have volunteers in all time zones, which helps a little, but of course since we're volunteers, there isn't always time to do everything we'd like.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Well, that makes sense lol. It's just that I had a full day today, as my work got cancelled due to snow, and I thought it would be a great day to do some of this reading. But I'll try to be patient lol.
It's tempting to just go ahead and make some recordings anyway. I want to do my own readings of Charles Dickens' novels, for example. (yes, I'm aware that it's also suggested that we should do some shorter projects first, and I'll do that, but ultimately I'm aiming for Dickens, even though there's several versions of his books already on the site). Anyway, I could go head and get a few chapters done, but I'd hate to go through all that and discover I had some setting wrong.

Hamlet