A couple of time questions (for prooflistening)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Is there any way to tell how long a file/section lasts before you commit to prooflisten? It would be great to have times noted in those boxes that get filled in as each project progresses -- but I can see how that might be a pain.

Related question, and I am pretty sure I saw the answer to this somewhere around here but now I can't find it -- is there some way to have a running clock with Quicktime when I am listening to those files? (I mean other than my kitchen timer, lol.)
Laurie Anne
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

First - don't use quicktime. :P
Second - to download the file (using windows OS) rt click the link (don't open it) <save as> and put it on your pc. Then you can play it in whatever media player you have and I think they all have a timer. Also if I see a file is 30 MB, it will be about 30 mins give or take a couple.

If rt click <save as> doesn't work, you may need to check the options in quicktime and windows media player.

I'm no techy but that should work. :)

Edit: I use quicktime alternative and it doesn't hijack all my recordings like QT:
http://www.codecguide.com/about_qt.htm
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
kristin

Post by kristin »

Somewhere there are option to tell it not to be so irritating. I had to install quicktime for something or other a while back and it started playing all the files as a little line in browser windows. Well, it doesn't come unless it's called these days so there is a way, I just don't remember how. Maybe someone could give instructions for that. Also, the actual audio player does have a clock.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thank you both! I had no idea that Quicktime isn't the automatic official default for everybody. I just did an Einstein section by downloading and running it through Media Player. Now I'm going to go poke around in the bowels of my computer (so to speak) and see if I can figure out how to dismantle the auto-Quicktime thing. I am so the wrong person to be doing this. :lol:
Laurie Anne
kristin

Post by kristin »

This might work to keep quick time from auto launching when you click on files if you are interested in that option.

Open your quicktime player. Under edit -> preferences -> quicktime preferences -> file types -> then untick the audio types that you don't want it to launch (specifically mp3 and wave for our purposes.)

Then there is another tab called browser in preferences, there is a button there called mime settings. That also shows file types that you should untick.

Be sure to click apply after unticking these things then click ok. Hope this helps.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

chocoholic wrote:Is there any way to tell how long a file/section lasts before you commit to prooflisten? It would be great to have times noted in those boxes that get filled in as each project progresses -- but I can see how that might be a pain.
This is a good suggestion for folks posting projects that need proof-listening to post in the Notes field the running time. Also, if you can figure out the size of the file, you can approximate the length from that... am 20MB file is approx. 20 minutes long (generally a few minutes longer, but it gives you a rough idea =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!