Real Name vs Screen Name

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Vespero

Post by Vespero »

I'm trying to decide what name I want to use as a reader.
I'm either going to go with "Vespero" (my forum name), or my real name. Currently, my reader name is Vespero, but I have two recordings and one is with my screen name and one is with my real name (it was an accident).

What did you use for your Reader name, and why did you decide to use that vs something else?
"Reading by Zachary Whitworth"
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I use my real name, but a lot of readers use pseudonyms for privacy. I haven't (so far :)) recorded anything I don't want attached to my name for all eternity, but when I Google myself, most of the top results are audiobook websites that post or review LV recordings. So be prepared for that, especially if you record a lot of books.
Laurie Anne
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

I chose to use my screen name for privacy. I just didn't like the idea of anyone searching my real name on the net finding out about my hobbies (even though they are nothing to be ashamed of). Hmm... and probably vice versa: have listeners find out about me, my profession, ... (even though it is nothing to be ashamed of either).
Besides, my screen name is much easier to pronounce in any language and to remember than my full name.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Vespero wrote:What did you use for your Reader name, and why did you decide to use that vs something else?
just make sure your catalog name is easily distinguishable (dont go simply by "John"), so that listeners can find you :)

i personally go by an abbreviation of my real name so that real life friends can find my recordings more easily :)
Carolin
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

And if you want listeners to be able to find your other recordings don't have a catalogue name of John Smith and when reading say " Read by Charlie Brown" :D

Anne
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

chocoholic wrote:I use my real name, but a lot of readers use pseudonyms for privacy. I haven't (so far :)) recorded anything I don't want attached to my name for all eternity, but when I Google myself, most of the top results are audiobook websites that post or review LV recordings. So be prepared for that, especially if you record a lot of books.
I use a pseudonym for privacy, but I started out using my real name. I wish I had known what Laurie said above when I started recording. I just don't like the idea that anyone searching for my real name can find everything attached to it. (I'm applying to college soon.)
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

I have only one contribution here (so far) so I don't have much experience in this regard, but, I use a variation on my real name for both my forum name & catalog name. It's a nickname my sister gave me years ago. My real name is fairly common(It's one letter different from my forum name, so you might be able to guess it) , so it's nice to go by a name that's distinctive.

(However, I only use that name for thing in anyway connected to entertainment. When I write or lecture in my day-job field, I use my real name)
Truth,
James
---------------------