Newbie microphone question

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » January 23rd, 2007, 5:19 pm

Alan -- you sweetened the sound for Laurie's audio? How superlative of you! So what we've all been commenting on (like me saying I'd listen to her read a book on her little mp3 recorder) was not actually what her little recorder recorded? It was the sweetened audio you created? (number 10 reading in the poem's lineup)

Good thing she's going for a USB mic then! :D
Anita

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » January 23rd, 2007, 6:40 pm

Thanks, CloudMountain! Sorry you had to go to the trouble! OK, no more recordings on the mp3 player. :lol: Yes, I've got the Logitech USB microphone on its way. Would you like me to re-record Sympathy once it arrives? It would be no trouble at all, and I know there are still some hisses etc on the version you archived. Or is it too big a pain to substitute out recordings that are already archived?
Laurie Anne

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » January 23rd, 2007, 7:35 pm

It is a big pain to replace files -- so don't worry about re-recording the poem, but have a great time with your new mic when it arrives! :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » January 24th, 2007, 6:12 am

chocoholic wrote:Thanks, CloudMountain! Sorry you had to go to the trouble! OK, no more recordings on the mp3 player. :lol: Yes, I've got the Logitech USB microphone on its way. Would you like me to re-record Sympathy once it arrives? It would be no trouble at all, and I know there are still some hisses etc on the version you archived. Or is it too big a pain to substitute out recordings that are already archived?
C- Did you compare the two versions? Your original thin one and the enhancements made in GarageBand? One of the things you should experiment with before making another submission is the volume/gain. Maybe make some preliminary recordings on your USB mike with levels set at a medium and then a higher setting and let others hear them. This might be good to try. The idea is to let your meter indicator be close to the mark that starts to turn yellow (or is indicated by a zero) when you are speaking at your loudest. Certainly don't put it in "the red." Any other things come after that. (What I mean is any other effects or equalization is secondary to that.)

The "problem" with fixing your first recording was that the hiss sounds were in the same range as your voice and so taking that out made you sound unnatural, so I lowered the tones of just the more annoying background sounds. But none of any of this is relevant anymore because you'll be using a different mike. Great! Good luck with all of this. Keep asking questions! Plenty of help here for you, on just about everything! (Including knitting.)

(Sorry Anita that I didn't notice this thread earlier to save some work 'n' words.)
Last edited by Cloud Mountain on January 26th, 2007, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » January 24th, 2007, 11:17 am

Cloud Mountain wrote:C- Did you compare the two versions? Your original thin one and my enhancements?
Actually, the version I have saved on my hard drive is much better than the one here (though mine isn't great either). LibraryLady says that my second recording is unlistenable :lol: because I sent it with the wrong megahertage -- so I have no doubt that I goofed up the transmission to you as well. I was using Audacity to edit but not to record, so I am hoping that your cryptic reference to a "yellow mark" becomes clear when I am using a mic that is actually attached to the computer. (I'll post again if I can't figure it out.)

Thank you all for your patience with *sigh* MORE rookie questions! :wink:
Laurie Anne