Sound Studio (the Mac software) questions

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Gesine

Post by Gesine » January 27th, 2007, 5:00 pm

I used GarageBand first, then Audacity, now Sound Studio, and I like them in ascending order. I'm not sure I can comment on sound quality, as I've used about 5 different mics, and in a variety of rooms, so there's no comparison, really. I think the differences in recording would be more due to the hardware than the software though, wouldn't it? Probably a naive statement. ;)

As you can see from my comments, I know nothing about sound technology. I'm slowly trying to update my equipment (as I seem to be kind of stuck in this place, so I might as well make it a little easier on everyone's ears), but it's still all a bit of a mystery to me.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » January 27th, 2007, 10:56 pm

Gesine wrote:I used GarageBand first, then Audacity, now Sound Studio, and I like them in ascending order. I'm not sure I can comment on sound quality, as I've used about 5 different mics, and in a variety of rooms, so there's no comparison, really. I think the differences in recording would be more due to the hardware than the software though, wouldn't it? Probably a naive statement. ;)

As you can see from my comments, I know nothing about sound technology. I'm slowly trying to update my equipment (as I seem to be kind of stuck in this place, so I might as well make it a little easier on everyone's ears), but it's still all a bit of a mystery to me.
Actually, I was asking about "ease of use" and usability of the editing programs, not technology. By ascending order, does that mean you like GB most or least? Why? Thanks G.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]

Gesine

Post by Gesine » January 28th, 2007, 3:54 pm

Oh sorry Alan - sloppy reading. I like GB least, for usability. Both Audacity and SS don't chop up the track when editing, and both allow highlighting of a portion of the track and just listening to that portion - I find that very helpful during editing. Also there are no restrictions on recording duration in the latter two.

Audacity crashes regularly, one cannot change the sample rate easily (which I often have to do as MC), and the noise-cleaning and other filters are awkward.

Note that I'm not complaining about Audacity, which is a very good open source program, but SS is better.

HTH.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » January 28th, 2007, 4:11 pm

Gesine wrote:Oh sorry Alan - sloppy reading. I like GB least, for usability. Both Audacity and SS don't chop up the track when editing, and both allow highlighting of a portion of the track and just listening to that portion - I find that very helpful during editing. Also there are no restrictions on recording duration in the latter two.

Audacity crashes regularly, one cannot change the sample rate easily (which I often have to do as MC), and the noise-cleaning and other filters are awkward.

Note that I'm not complaining about Audacity, which is a very good open source program, but SS is better.

HTH.
Ah, just as I suspected. A few of most common complaints against GB are back again. And each is a myth. That is, these things CAN be done. I find GB far more "usable" than either of the other, particularly with visually see the actual wave forms and moving them about. I see you're concentrating on learning something new right now, but if you were ever interested in going back to GB or learning more about it, I'd be happy to help and to write things out and also include those in the LV Wiki also.

I continue to look to see what else is out there, but I have never found anything that I can edit with that does a job better and smoother than GB. (Which doesn't mean I don't continue to look!)

Just as a review, here are your issues with GB, each of which is easily attainable:

1. Chopped-up tracks
2. Highlighting of a portion of the track and just listening to that portion.
3. Restrictions on recording (& editing) duration.

Thanks for taking the time to explain things. I'm always interested in hearing what can be done in an easier/better way. Now I see your concerns and understand. (I agree that Audacity has it's problems. It's very best feature is that it's free. It also converts MP3's well, although its Tagging is but a very small window into what's avail. —Although I use it to convert my LV work.)

Alan
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]

Gesine

Post by Gesine » January 29th, 2007, 2:07 am

Cloud Mountain wrote:
Gesine wrote:I used GarageBand first, then Audacity, now Sound Studio, and I like them in ascending order. I'm not sure I can comment on sound quality, as I've used about 5 different mics, and in a variety of rooms, so there's no comparison, really. I think the differences in recording would be more due to the hardware than the software though, wouldn't it? Probably a naive statement. ;)

Actually, I was asking about "ease of use" and usability of the editing programs, not technology. By ascending order, does that mean you like GB most or least? Why? Thanks G.
Alan, it would be really really great if you could explain how these things are done, and put them in the wiki. We have a fair number of GB users and I know these issues come up a lot.

The other thing I forgot to mention, and to which you allude, is that GB only saves files in one format. Of course that's easy enough to get around with iTunes, or other free software.

One point against SS is that it doesn't do ID3 tags - not exactly a big hardship either, but one wonders why such a simple thing is not included.

Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » January 29th, 2007, 4:45 pm

I just check to remind myself that I wrote something at length a long while back about extending GB's "recording" time. I see that I never add the screen images to illutrate what's what. Maybe I can do that. According to my calculations at the time, you can edit up to 1 hour and fifty minutes. Sounds impractically large doesn't it? I wouldn't want to be recording something THAT long and have it get messed up!

Here's the link How Can I Extend GB's Recording Time?
Last edited by Cloud Mountain on January 29th, 2007, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » January 29th, 2007, 4:46 pm

Ooops. I DO now see that I DID add the screen shot way down at the bottom.

Have fun playing with this!