Just getting started ?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Denise

Post by Denise » January 19th, 2007, 12:08 pm

I haven't read much in this forum, so this may have been asked and answered. Do you need some place on the web to host your recordings? Does one read from the actual book or someplace online? I never hear pauses or page turning, but that could be edited out? Thanks for your help to a newbie!
Denise

kristin

Post by kristin » January 19th, 2007, 1:05 pm

Welcome Denise. You don't need to have server space to host your files. Some people do have it but others use services like mediafire or yousendit to transfer files and some people make their personal server space available for use on specific projects. The first post in a thread will give instruction for file transfer methods.

I think most people read from an online source or print out the pages and read from them. It is possible to read from an actual book but it would have to be oked first.

Yes, long pauses and page turning or other extra noises can usually be edited out provided they aren't under the speech. As well as any mistakes that might be made along the way.

earthcalling

Post by earthcalling » January 19th, 2007, 1:43 pm

Hi Denise,

A good one-stop-shop for beginners' info is the 'Guides for Listeners & Volunteers (the LibriVox wiki)' - linked at the top of this page.

David

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » January 19th, 2007, 1:47 pm

Welcome Denise :)
When you start reading over our Wiki and the Stickies and everything, it might seem overwhelming. There's a lot of info crammed into those pages! Take a deep breath and jump in. There's a bit of a learning curve when you first get started, but we're here to help you through it and it gets easy very soon. Have fun!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

Denise

Post by Denise » January 19th, 2007, 4:39 pm

Yes, it is all a bit too much. I think I have a good idea about how it works. Now I just need to start and work out the kinks as I go.

OT Kayray, Your voice was the first one we heard on Librivox. Our first book was Heidi! We all recognize your voice and name. :)
Denise

kri

Post by kri » January 19th, 2007, 7:22 pm

Once you do your first recording I think you'll have a better grasp of how things work around here :) Don't ever feel bashful about asking questions, that's what this section of the forum is for!