DeEsser & DeClicker Plug-ins For Audacity

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Also, I'm way too intimidated to mess with the default settings. I have no clue what they do and I'm terrified of ruining a good thing! :lol:
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

How long it takes depends on your hardware. When I first tried it a 45 minute file took 6 hours! Yeah, old slow computer. Now the same file takes about 20 minutes on my new whizzy laptop.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Darvinia wrote:How long it takes depends on your hardware. When I first tried it a 45 minute file took 6 hours! Yeah, old slow computer. Now the same file takes about 20 minutes on my new whizzy laptop.
Good to know.
msfry

Post by msfry »

I am a recent devotee to the de-clicker Effect. I haven't run it on a whole file yet, but do short segments and find it works GREAT!

This short file contains a snippet of one reader's recent file, then the same snippet with the de-clck effect applied. Both clicks are audible, then both are gone, using the original setting that the plugin comes with. Often works within a word as well as between words, without affecting spacing. I set my D key to activate the effect in the Edit/Preferences/KeyBoard/Effects section, so the process is just HIGHLIGHT A SECTION/D/OK.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/de-click_demo_for_Rita.mp3 (download and open in Audacity to see the wave form)

To find the declicker ap in the Librivox Wiki. Search "Audacity Tutorials", scroll down to "Remove Clicking Sounds", follow that link, it will give you lots of detailed instructions.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: January 15th, 2023, 6:08 pm I am a recent devotee to the de-clicker Effect. I haven't run it on a whole file yet, but do short segments and find it works GREAT!

This short file contains a snippet of one reader's recent file, then the same snippet with the de-clck effect applied. Both clicks are audible, then both are gone, using the original setting that the plugin comes with. Often works within a word as well as between words, without affecting spacing. I set my D key to activate the effect in the Edit/Preferences/KeyBoard/Effects section, so the process is just HIGHLIGHT A SECTION/D/OK.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/de-click_demo_for_Rita.mp3 (download and open in Audacity to see the wave form)

To find the declicker ap in the Librivox Wiki. Search "Audacity Tutorials", scroll down to "Remove Clicking Sounds", follow that link, it will give you lots of detailed instructions.
Michele, I don't hear a click in the file you have linked. (Maybe I have misunderstood?)

I do see the 'click' in the waveform, but don't really hear it. It certainly has disappeared though.
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: January 15th, 2023, 6:34 pm Michele, I don't hear a click in the file you have linked. (Maybe I have misunderstood?)

I do see the 'click' in the waveform, but don't really hear it. It certainly has disappeared though.
Turn up your volume, (or your hearing aids :lol: :lol:) . They are audible, not loud, in my headset. At any rate, one or two clicks are not a problem in any file, but when a clicks are constant, it becomes annoying.

An alternate solution would be to figure out what is causing those clicks, and stop that behavior. Maybe moving my mouse, or when the lips part, or tongue noises? I haven't pinpointed that yet. Meanwhile, declick is the best thing going.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: January 15th, 2023, 8:30 pm
KevinS wrote: January 15th, 2023, 6:34 pm Michele, I don't hear a click in the file you have linked. (Maybe I have misunderstood?)

Turn up your volume, (or your hearing aids :lol: :lol:) . They are audible, not loud, in my headset. At any rate, one or two clicks are not a problem in any file, but when a clicks are constant, it becomes annoying.

An alternate solution would be to figure out what is causing those clicks, and stop that behavior. Maybe moving my mouse, or when the lips part, or tongue noises? I haven't pinpointed that yet. Meanwhile, declick is the best thing going.
I really should check my hearing. Seriously.