Taking care of the voice (before it takes care of me)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
trioptimum

Post by trioptimum » January 16th, 2007, 9:23 am

Just a quick addendum: thanks to Cori, I am now fostering a growing addiction to wonderful, wonderful peppermint tea.
Equipment: AT2020 mic, Audition CC on Mac, and peppermint tea :)

My Catalogue Page
My Tumblr

Starlite

Post by Starlite » January 16th, 2007, 10:28 am

trioptimum wrote:Just a quick addendum: thanks to Cori, I am now fostering a growing addiction to wonderful, wonderful peppermint tea.
YEAH. Lets have a round for the Brits and thier tea. :clap:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

ceastman

Post by ceastman » January 16th, 2007, 12:30 pm

yay tea!

My fave peppermint tea is Stash's. Herbal, as it happens.

-Catharine

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » January 16th, 2007, 12:31 pm

Mwahahah!

FINALLY my peppermint tea plantation investment will start paying off!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

Starlite

Post by Starlite » January 16th, 2007, 12:40 pm

Sorry Cori, its growin' in me front yard. FRIGGIN WEED!!

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » January 16th, 2007, 12:54 pm

HEY! Who're YOU calling a ....

.... oh. I see. Never mind.

:lol:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

fae

Post by fae » January 16th, 2007, 2:29 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Boy do we have fun here!!!

Jazbees

Post by Jazbees » January 16th, 2007, 4:57 pm

Cloud Mountain wrote:But interestingly, your voice appears to be a "head" voice (female singers know what I mean)...
Not just females. I took some voice lessons a while back, and my instructor had me specifically working on using my head voice. It allows me to hit the upper registers of my range more comfortably, and creates a more pleasing sound.

One of my bad habits that I have to constantly work on is ignoring the head voice principles when I'm talking. I have a tendency to force my voice higher when I talk quieter, and only using my throat in doing so, which strains my vocal cords in short order. I had this problem (and some others) just last night while recording a chapter for a project, but didn't catch it until I was halfway through. By that time, I couldn't relax my voice enough, and at the end of the chapter I was really hurting (and frustrated). I'm planning on re-recording the chapter so I can produce a more relaxed, natural delivery.

Anyway, here's a link to some voice-health tips I found on Voices.com's Vox Daily blog:

http://blogs.voices.com/voxdaily/2006/07/how_do_you_keep_your_voice_hea.html

I like the idea of recording standing up, and will give it a shot one of these days.
Justin Barrett
http://www.justinsbarrett.com/

Ponyfeathers

Post by Ponyfeathers » January 18th, 2007, 2:54 pm

Stop reading for the day if your voice feels tired or strained. Continuing can actually injure your vocal cords; injury produces scarring; scarring creates rasping. Think Louis Armstrong.

I notice most of the advice here is from singers. My own vocal background is for speaking (theatre) only, so maybe you will find it less complicated?

Warming up before you record will go a long way to helping with vocal exhaustion. One of the easiest, simplest warm-ups is to hum gently for about 10 minutes, starting at whatever note feels natural for about half of it and then humming a little higher than that for the second half. As you hum, try to feel the vibrations in your lips, nose, throat, chest, and belly, starting from the head down (you should feel them more as you become warmer.) Try to feel the vibrations loosening these areas.

It may also be helpful to try simply opening the mouth as you do this (towards the end), to say Ahhh.... This may be helpful in training yourself to keep your throat open as you speak. Keeping your throat open helps reduce strain and creates a richer sound. If you want to feel the difference between a closed and open throat, try yawning. The way the back of the throat opens up is very helpful in voice. If you try saying "ahh" with your throat open and then with it closed, you should be able to hear the difference readily: the closed throat produces a "clenched", nasal sound.

If you try these exercises, do not try to keep humming when you run out of air. "Pushing" past your natural breath capacity creates tension. When you are out of air, just breathe in again, and then hum some more.

Unfortunately, if you don't have any vocal training, it can be hard to understand what is meant by warming up your voice. It's certainly difficult to explain in words, but when you voice is warm, it will feel looser, opener, more flexible. When your voice is cold, it will feel "sticky" like it's grating in your throat a little as you hum.

Keeping your throat lubricated with any liquid like water or tea should also be helpful.

Edit: "Opener." Tee-hee! More open.

Starlite

Post by Starlite » January 18th, 2007, 3:42 pm

Great advice! Will definately do that. (I didn't even notice "opener" LOL)

fae

Post by fae » January 18th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Yes Pony thanks for explaining the opening the mouth thing so much better than I did, in fact you explained it all the way I couldn't, hehehe!

I thought of another one for opening you mouth, try this, record a line normally and then place as many vertical fingers between your teeth as you can (3 or 4 if possible, the wider the better) and hold them there for a count of 10; then repeat the same line. You will hear a difference in the clarity and tone of your voice.

Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » January 18th, 2007, 10:16 pm

I only open my mouth to change feet.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]

fae

Post by fae » January 19th, 2007, 7:15 am

Cloud Mountain wrote:I only open my mouth to change feet.
Well then just make sure they are vertically placed and your blunders will at least sound really good!