Ways to Upload Files to LV [Solution in the works]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Gesine

Post by Gesine » January 12th, 2007, 5:34 am

Betsie - completely agree, and ditto for Yousendit links that are only sent by email and not posted. I've changed the BC template to ask that all links - to private or public servers - be posted in the thread.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

Gesine

Post by Gesine » January 12th, 2007, 5:53 am

Denny - some good points there. The easiest solution to me would seem that if a BC doesn't have server space and uses an MC's server to back up the files (and to enable easy access for proof-listening), that the BC asks readers (again only those who don't link to their own server space) to upload directly to the MC's server. This would save the BC one upload. For those readers who still prefer to use a free server such as Mediafire, YSI, etc, they can post the links and then the BC has to download and upload to the MC's server (but the details should be noted in the first post then).

In other words, a flowchart would look like this:
  1. BC has server space:
    1. if it has an uploader, ask readers (add to point 8. BC template) to upload there unless they have own server space
    2. if it doesn't have an uploader, leave BC template as is and download from Mediafire etc and upload files to your server yourself.
  2. BC doesn't have server space but MC does:
    1. if it has an uploader, ask readers (add to point 8. BC template) to upload there unless they have own server space
    2. if it doesn't have an uploader, leave BC template as is and download from Mediafire etc and upload files to MC's server yourself via ftp.
  3. BC doesn't have server space and MC also doesn't: PM an MC with an uploader and ask for a sub-folder, and follow step 2. above.
I'll put this into the BC instructions in the wiki at some point.

I wasn't aware that some Uploaders fill up, I hope mine doesn't have that problem. ftp is a good option but holds security risks for the server owner, and requires a learning curve for readers who don't know it - that's why we created the uploaders in the first place.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » January 12th, 2007, 6:23 am

thistlechick wrote:Alan, I just took a quick look at that page and found something that I would like to make a suggestion for changing.
As with any upload, either give the coordinator the direct link or tell which uploader the file is sitting in, with file name(s).
As a BC/MC, I find it very frustrating to have someone say that the file is in so-n-so's uploader. Since I don't know where everyone's servers are off-hand, I have to go hunting around for that link in order to find the file. I would appreciate it if people would post the link to the uploader they used when they let me know they have uploaded the file. =)
Hi Betsie,
uploaders have this one particular problem ... files are uploaded to one spot (and people often don't know how to construct the link to that spot), and the files are typically moved by the server's owner into a folder, thereby changing the file's url.

So it's very difficult for folks who aren't the server owner to provide a link.
Y' think?

I recently shortened the whole of HowToSendYourFiles (which was a page I originally wrote -- you can tell, because it's so wordy) into a In a Nutshell outline at the top of that page.

Won't have a chance to look over Alan's improvements till this wkend. Hafta dash now.

Oh...it is my wish and belief for 2007 that LibriVox will come into a large, free server with a convenient browser interface that allows all readers to post files to one location (directly into the appropriate project folder). I believe this will happen, because now that the catalogue is so very nicely advanced, this file delivery problem is the glaring next need.
Anita

kri

Post by kri » January 12th, 2007, 10:00 am

a.r.dobbs wrote:
Oh...it is my wish and belief for 2007 that LibriVox will come into a large, free server with a convenient browser interface that allows all readers to post files to one location (directly into the appropriate project folder). I believe this will happen, because now that the catalogue is so very nicely advanced, this file delivery problem is the glaring next need.
I don't think this is going to happen, and I don't think that it should actually. Having it spread out and a little chaotic makes it a bit harder for malicious people to mess things up. Also, which space to use is a question, as everyone has different amounts of space. Also, we would need someone to create the program behind such an interface, and I really think we should focus more on the catalog.

I would be willing to donate considerable amounts of my space (I'm only using 4% right now!!) for such a project, except for my concerns voiced above.

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » January 12th, 2007, 10:29 am

Hi kri, I more imagine some entity similar to archive.org coming along and offering it all up freely and securely and all that. I don't see it being any one of us supplying such a central server location.

Meanwhile, like you, I've got lots of space for our files, specifically for our files. But unlike you, I continue to baulk at putting an uploader onto it. (Advisors are standing by when I elect to take the plunge.)
Anita