Ways to Upload Files to LV [Solution in the works]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » January 10th, 2007, 3:51 pm

There are a variety of ways to upload sound files of poems, chapters, etc. to LV, but they all seem haphazardly project independent. These include the likes of YouSendIt as well as various coordinators providing upload space.

Is there a plan to...

1. Have a central place to upload.
2. Have a place on the wiki where people can select an uploader of their choice and tell the coordinator where a file is.
3. Keep it as it is with coordinators recommending how to upload or people storing files where they wish and giving links or people selecting available LV upload areas. (The way it is now.)

Just wondering and thanking whomever in advance.
Last edited by Cloud Mountain on January 10th, 2007, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]

kri

Post by kri » January 10th, 2007, 6:25 pm

I'm not sure how #1 would work.

#2 Putting it in the wiki takes it away from the project threads, which I think would confuse people.

#3 It seems to be working fine this way for now. If it ain't broke don't fix it? However, I do see the benefit of compiling a list of ways to send files to people at LV in the wiki.

Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » January 10th, 2007, 6:29 pm

kri wrote:#3 ... However, I do see the benefit of compiling a list of ways to send files to people at LV in the wiki.
#3 Is what I'm suggesting. Centralizing this. Perhaps a Sticky that lists links to all of the available LV Upload options. Seems to be a bunch of loose ends. Can do myself, but may take the permission of each to specifically list. Maybe those people themselves just like the looseness of things as they are.
Last edited by Cloud Mountain on January 10th, 2007, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]

kri

Post by kri » January 10th, 2007, 6:30 pm

Cloud Mountain wrote:
kri wrote:I'm not sure how #1 would work.

#2 Putting it in the wiki takes it away from the project threads, which I think would confuse people.

#3 It seems to be working fine this way for now. If it ain't broke don't fix it? However, I do see the benefit of compiling a list of ways to send files to people at LV in the wiki.
#3 Is what I'm suggesting. Centralizing this. Perhaps a Sticky that lists links to all of the available LV Upload options.
I think we should use the wiki, rather than a sticky. It feels to me that we're getting more and more cluttered with information in stickies, and that's what the wiki was supposed to clear out a bit.

Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » January 10th, 2007, 6:33 pm

kri wrote:
Cloud Mountain wrote:
kri wrote:I'm not sure how #1 would work.

#3 Is what I'm suggesting. Centralizing this. Perhaps a Sticky that lists links to all of the available LV Upload options.
I think we should use the wiki, rather than a sticky. It feels to me that we're getting more and more cluttered with information in stickies, and that's what the wiki was supposed to clear out a bit.
Okay, then I'll create what's available at present and figure an appropriate place. Note my edit/addition (above) as you were writing/sending your response.

kri

Post by kri » January 10th, 2007, 6:35 pm

My general uploader you can list. I have a feeling the rest of the MCs who have uploaders are OK with you listing them as well.

Good idea on this one Alan.

Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » January 10th, 2007, 6:35 pm

kri wrote:My general uploader you can list. I have a feeling the rest of the MCs who have uploaders are OK with you listing them as well.

Good idea on this one Alan.
Yes. Thanks K

earthcalling

Post by earthcalling » January 11th, 2007, 12:34 am

Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » January 11th, 2007, 4:41 am

Yes, but I'm adding to the end of it, as you can see, with SPECIFIC places (links). Thanks.

Gesine

Post by Gesine » January 11th, 2007, 6:22 am

I've been meaning to update point 8. "Transfer of files" of the BookCoordinator template - it still had the Yousendit info in there and some other services are now available that are more convenient. I've now made the following change:
Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
- If you have your own server space, post the link here. Please leave the file in this location until the project is catalogued.
- If you don't have your own server space, you'll need to transfer the file to one of the free servers available. For a list of options, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

ceastman

Post by ceastman » January 11th, 2007, 12:48 pm

There's a useful thread with further suggestions:

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3354&highlight=

DSayers

Post by DSayers » January 11th, 2007, 3:35 pm

I was a BC on four completed projects and am one on 7 current ones. Also, I read or have read for quite a few others.

It seems that Alan's #3 idea is winning the day. What a great initiative, from my point of view as reader and BC.

Right now, if I get/record a file, I then open up a list I've cobbled together over the last year that contains all the MC's and the ways/timelines they prefer me to upload my files to them. Some MC's use other MC's uploaders, and every uploader has a different password.

Also, once uploaded, I've learned to ask what subdirectory they will appear in, and I've recorded that information in my list, whenever there was a subdirectory. When there wasn't, that meant I should hold on to the audiofiles myself since there would be no way to send proof-listeners to them.

Other MC's don't have uploaders, and ask me to hold on to files till the project is done and they locate space. In the era of magic windows, this can slow down the prooflistening process.

Also, uploaders have memory limits ... three projects I was working on had an uploader, but it was full. So I contacted Anita who taught me how to use ftp and welcomed me to upload my files there. While I was doing so, I learned that the original uploader now had space.

I'm sure that from the perspective of MCs, it must be frustrating when the inevitable mishap occurs ... I have mistakenly uploaded files to the wrong uploader, or a full one.

I admit to being easily confused with too many options ... but I wonder if some more standardization wouldn't be helpful. Common passwords would help, maybe passwordGE or passwordKR to distinguish the person who manages the uploader.

There is a list that is currently circulating of MCs:

ll - LibraryLady (Annie)
tc - thistlechick (Betsie)
kr - kayray (Kara)
ge - Gesine (Gesine)
kl - Kri (Kristin)
ry - raynr (Rainer)
fx - Fox in the Stars (Laura)
ce - ceastman (Catharine)
ad - a.r.dobbs (anita)
ec - earthcalling (David)
ehl - Starlite (Esther)

It would be helpful if there could be a similar list that also included the preferred uploading approach and some indication as to the availability of space for completed files. Alan's idea of a central place and Kri's that it should be a Wiki would be a great repository spot.

It would also help if whenever an MC contacted a BC with the kind offer to coordinate, that this information and any uploading requirements/limitations be spelled out.

I'm trying to find out how to locate server space of my own to ease these logistics. But others may benefit from some standardization and clarity about uploaders.

Also, as to Option #1, leave a bit of space open for it, too. It seems to me that Anita sure has a lot of space on her server to hold files for multiple projects if some readers and BCs who learn how to use ftp.

-denny

Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » January 11th, 2007, 8:19 pm

Thanks Denny.

I'm currently creating this for the wiki and thanks for putting th list together. It's helpful. There are BC's have have to be added to this list as well, including my LV uploader.

add - Cloud Mountain (Alan)

There is A LOT of space there.

Since this is a three day weekend for me (thank you MLK)i intend to take the time to append this to the appropriate wiki page with info. and will, with links.

That page is:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/HowToSendYourRecording

This is a VERY full-of-into page already.
Heavens, how did I learn this system?
Seems there's So much info!

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » January 11th, 2007, 11:07 pm

Alan, I just took a quick look at that page and found something that I would like to make a suggestion for changing.
As with any upload, either give the coordinator the direct link or tell which uploader the file is sitting in, with file name(s).
As a BC/MC, I find it very frustrating to have someone say that the file is in so-n-so's uploader. Since I don't know where everyone's servers are off-hand, I have to go hunting around for that link in order to find the file. I would appreciate it if people would post the link to the uploader they used when they let me know they have uploaded the file. =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » January 12th, 2007, 4:37 am

thistlechick wrote:Alan, I just took a quick look at that page and found something that I would like to make a suggestion for changing.
As with any upload, either give the coordinator the direct link or tell which uploader the file is sitting in, with file name(s).
As a BC/MC, I find it very frustrating to have someone say that the file is in so-n-so's uploader. Since I don't know where everyone's servers are off-hand, I have to go hunting around for that link in order to find the file. I would appreciate it if people would post the link to the uploader they used when they let me know they have uploaded the file. =)
Very Good Point. Done.
wiki wrote:As with any upload, always give the coordinator (BC/MC) the direct link for your file(s).