Normalization, hard limiting, and recording volume

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
tanzaku

Post by tanzaku »

I'm a newbie reader, but a long-time audio (and digital audio) techie.

After I uploaded my first recording, I became concerned about audible volume. In the audio world, it is a standard procedure to "normalize" an audio file in post-production and an even better supplement to then "hard limit" the file. This tends to raise the audible volume -- acutally raising the lower level passages while not raising the full-volume ones. It is sometimes known colloquially as "compression." As a standard procedure in audio post-production, I did this to my recording before uploading it, but I am concerned that it will now sound too loud compared to the other readers.

Are there standards for Librivox recordings relative to normalization and hard limiting? Should I be concerned about this? Or, am I being too picky and should just do what I do normally?

(If you want to hear what I'm referring to, I read for Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens, Book 2, Chapter 10. When I compared it to the other readers, my audio seemed much louder.)
kri

Post by kri »

tanzaku wrote:I'm a newbie reader, but a long-time audio (and digital audio) techie.

After I uploaded my first recording, I became concerned about audible volume. In the audio world, it is a standard procedure to "normalize" an audio file in post-production and an even better supplement to then "hard limit" the file. This tends to raise the audible volume -- acutally raising the lower level passages while not raising the full-volume ones. It is sometimes known colloquially as "compression." As a standard procedure in audio post-production, I did this to my recording before uploading it, but I am concerned that it will now sound too loud compared to the other readers.

Are there standards for Librivox recordings relative to normalization and hard limiting? Should I be concerned about this? Or, am I being too picky and should just do what I do normally?

(If you want to hear what I'm referring to, I read for Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens, Book 2, Chapter 10. When I compared it to the other readers, my audio seemed much louder.)
I'd say do whatever the heck you want in post-processing, and not worry about being the same as the other recordings. We should all try to be reaching the same medium volume, but I'm sure you can understand the difficulties attempting that may pose. We do use MP3 gain on projects with files that have differences in volume enough to worry about, and with files that are significantly quieter the MC will either increase the volume or ask the volunteer to do so.
kristin

Post by kristin »

I listened to your file, your volume sounds fine to me, and you sound great. I'd say keep doing whatever you're doing. :D
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

One step at a time. Put your heart into it from the start! And relax. You'll do well!
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
tanzaku

Post by tanzaku »

Well? We'll see. Fun? Most definitely!!!
Thanks for the encouragement. :D
Brooks