Noise problem with recommended audio setup

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
sjmarky
Posts: 2883
Joined: August 28th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Location: Poictesme
Contact:

Post by sjmarky » January 13th, 2007, 5:04 pm

Opening both your WAV and MP3 in SoundStudio, I don't find an abnormal amount of background noise. It's just that your recording volume is too low, so the ratio of recording to noise is relatively high. If you try and normalize the signal in the software, the hiss will boost, too. The MP3's volume was much better and the noise was quite low, but I guess you had to "eat the mic".

If you want to go to a condenser mic, M-Audio makes a very good condenser mic - the Nova - that costs less than the Shure. In fact GuitarCenter, zZounds etc. each have a variety of condenser mics for under $150 USD. The MXL 990 for $89USD is a good deal, too, and was recently recommended by Inside Home Recording. I've used the Nova with an M-Audio FW Pre and been quite happy.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

Drigor
Posts: 8
Joined: January 5th, 2007, 5:37 am

Post by Drigor » January 14th, 2007, 6:32 am

sjmarky wrote:Opening both your WAV and MP3 in SoundStudio, I don't find an abnormal amount of background noise. It's just that your recording volume is too low, so the ratio of recording to noise is relatively high. If you try and normalize the signal in the software, the hiss will boost, too. The MP3's volume was much better and the noise was quite low, but I guess you had to "eat the mic".

If you want to go to a condenser mic, M-Audio makes a very good condenser mic - the Nova - that costs less than the Shure. In fact GuitarCenter, zZounds etc. each have a variety of condenser mics for under $150 USD. The MXL 990 for $89USD is a good deal, too, and was recently recommended by Inside Home Recording. I've used the Nova with an M-Audio FW Pre and been quite happy.
Thank youl sjmarky and Le Marteau. I have returned the MobilePre and would like to try the DMP-3. According to DARE (Accent research institute, they record a lot of voices and have dealt with the same problem) a dynamic mic should be used with a "good" preamp that is, gain higher 60 dB and extremely low noise.

The MobilePre provides a maximum gain of 40 dB. This is the reason why you have to "eat the microphone" or you hear the hiss from the preamp. Musicians don't have the problem, they produce much louder "signals".

I made my latest recordings with plugging the Beta 58 directly into my soundblaster with the +20dB Gain switched off. To me, the recording sounded eqal to the recording that used the USB recording device. Therefore there was no reason to use the MobilePre.

I agree with your view that a condenser microphone probably would have saved me from a lot of trouble. A number of people recommend the Audio-Technica AT3035. Does anyone have experience with it?

Regards,
Igor
Last edited by Drigor on January 14th, 2007, 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sjmarky
Posts: 2883
Joined: August 28th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Location: Poictesme
Contact:

Post by sjmarky » January 14th, 2007, 9:18 am

Drigor wrote:
sjmarky wrote:
I agree with your view that a condenser microphone probably would have saved me from a lot of trouble. A number of people recommend the Audio-Technica AT3035. Does anyone have experience with it?

Regards,
Igor
No, but here's some user reviews:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_audiotechnica_at3035_cardioid_condenser_microphone?full_sku=101433159
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

Drigor
Posts: 8
Joined: January 5th, 2007, 5:37 am

Post by Drigor » January 14th, 2007, 1:00 pm

sjmarky wrote:
Drigor wrote:
sjmarky wrote:
I agree with your view that a condenser microphone probably would have saved me from a lot of trouble. A number of people recommend the Audio-Technica AT3035. Does anyone have experience with it?

Regards,
Igor
No, but here's some user reviews:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_audiotechnica_at3035_cardioid_condenser_microphone?full_sku=101433159
Hm, should the amount of praise make us suspicious?

I'll wait for the new preamp. then I'll decide what to do next. But in a way, this microphone got my attention.

Regards,
Igor

Dri
Posts: 97
Joined: January 11th, 2007, 4:00 am
Location: Magdeburg, Germany

Post by Dri » January 15th, 2007, 3:26 pm

Drigor wrote:
sjmarky wrote:
Hm, should the amount of praise make us suspicious?

I'll wait for the new preamp. then I'll decide what to do next. But in a way, this microphone got my attention.

Regards,
Igor

Here are two recordings with the current setup (Shure Beta 58A, Soundblaster Audigy, no preamp).

If anyone bothers to listen to those files, which one would you prefer?

I would like to go on with the recording but I am somewhat uncertain about the style. You have certainly listened to many more readings, therefore your opinion is of great importance to me.

http://home.arcor.de/t2c/Doyle-HorrorOfTheHeights.mp3 (3.7 MB)
running time 7:50 min

http://home.arcor.de/t2c/Doyle-HorrorOfTheHeightsV2.mp3 (3.4 MB)
running time 7:06 min

Regards,
Igor

PS. I've shortened my nick.

sjmarky
Posts: 2883
Joined: August 28th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Location: Poictesme
Contact:

Post by sjmarky » January 15th, 2007, 4:38 pm

Dri wrote:
Drigor wrote:
sjmarky wrote:
Close, but I'd take V2.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

Dri
Posts: 97
Joined: January 11th, 2007, 4:00 am
Location: Magdeburg, Germany

Post by Dri » January 16th, 2007, 1:21 am

sjmarky wrote:
Dri wrote:
Drigor wrote:
Thank you. That is an unequivocal vote, especially when you take into consideration that I recorded V2 yesterday rather in a hurry.

Regards,
Igor

Dri
Posts: 97
Joined: January 11th, 2007, 4:00 am
Location: Magdeburg, Germany

Post by Dri » January 23rd, 2007, 5:39 am

I have finished my evaluation period. I am glad I found the Behringer Ultravoice Digital VX 2496. I haven't connected it via S/PDIF yet. So, there is still room for improvement.


1. For everyone who is interested in technical questions, here is a clip out of The Horror of the Heights:
http://home.arcor.de/t2c/HoH-nurAnfang.mp3 (7.1MB)
running time 7:24


2. This is the full story of the Horror of the Heights (includes the clip in section 1). This is for everyone who would like to listen to the whole story
http://home.arcor.de/t2c/Doyle_Horror_of_the_Heights-22kHz.mp3 (25.2MB)
running time 48:19


3. This is the same recording as under section 2. However, encoded at a higher bitrate
http://download.yousendit.com/E20737241CA6C7AC (45.4MB)
running time 48:19

If would like to comment on anything, please do so, no reason to hold back.

Regards,
Igor

Dri
Posts: 97
Joined: January 11th, 2007, 4:00 am
Location: Magdeburg, Germany

Post by Dri » January 27th, 2007, 8:59 am

Digital connection established

Finally, I have managed to use a digital link between the preamp and my soundcard. Unfortunately my soundcard accepts only 16 Bit instead of the 24 Bit that are actually available from the preamp. Nevertheless, the sound changed and the noise decreased. What I miss now is a popkiller for the microphone ...:) I think it would be necessary not to come too close to the mike.

Here is a testfile, in case anyone would like to know what it sounds like at the moment.

http://home.arcor.de/t2c/Digital.mp3 (4.9MB)
running time: 5:03
from Little Lord Fauntleroy, chapter X

The funny thing is that I sit in front of my rather noisy computer and still, all that noise does not seem to make it into the recording. I think this merit belongs to the microphone though ...

Regards,
Igor

PS.
CC on anything is welcome:
- sound
- voice
- pronunciation
- pace
- ...

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11869
Joined: September 26th, 2005, 9:10 am
Location: Union City, California
Contact:

Post by kayray » January 27th, 2007, 10:15 am

That's a lovely clear recordng, Igor! I'm jealous :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

Dri
Posts: 97
Joined: January 11th, 2007, 4:00 am
Location: Magdeburg, Germany

Post by Dri » January 28th, 2007, 4:11 am

kayray wrote:That's a lovely clear recordng, Igor! I'm jealous :)
Thank you, kayray. The "clarity" is added with "Breath" control. It boosts frequencies around 8 kHz. In that way one can achieve the typical DJ sound. Finding a "balanced" sound is difficult though. :) One must be careful not to overdo here ...

Regards,
Igor

Dri
Posts: 97
Joined: January 11th, 2007, 4:00 am
Location: Magdeburg, Germany

Post by Dri » January 28th, 2007, 2:08 pm

Hi Kayray - oh, it's you.

Sorry, I didn't realize. I have listened to the chapters 3 and 4 you had already submitted on Friday. I wanted to pick up the right mood for my reading.

Your chapters sound fine and I regretted that the whole book hadn't been finished already.

Regards,
Igor

Post Reply