setting up home PC Studio

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
CatherineEvans

Post by CatherineEvans »

Please refer me to the site telling me how to set up my studio. I had it but I do not remeber how to access. It was telling me wha type MIC usb to get and using audacity and lame.org
cannot fine Thks . CEVANS
carolb

Post by carolb »

Hello Catherine,

Welcome to LibriVox!

You should find all the information you need via the links in your welcome e-mail,
but if you've deleted it you can read it in the top post in this thread :wink:

Carol
CatherineEvans

Post by CatherineEvans »

Thank you for your response. I am reading all I can and trying to apply. Again I am very very very new to this. Including computer skills. This is a challenge and a process so I continue to move forward. I do know I will have to set up a home recording studio but, at this point in time it is an expense that will have to wait until after Christmas. And more importantly after I do diligence on what type of equipment will work with my Toshiba PC.
Do not mind spending the money but need to make sure it is the right product that will help me to produce a good product and is durable. Any other suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks CEVANS
carolb

Post by carolb »

Hello again Catherine,

The first 7 topics here might be of use to you.

You can also hear a wide variety of microphones here.

Setting up a 'recording studio' is often nothing more than strategically placed cushions, blankets etc. so doesn't have to cost the earth :?

Others may come along with more ideas for you.

Good luck, and don't worry - we have all been new, and appreciate your concerns.

Carol
Cori

Post by Cori »

I recorded with a Toshiba laptop for the first 2-3 years I was here. Marvellous thing it was. Please don't think you need to get fancy stuff to volunteer here, Catherine. It's much, much better to start really basic and then add in bits and pieces when you want. I'd start with a fairly simple mic, that plugs directly into your PC with a USB socket. That's honestly all that's really needed. And software-wise, most here use Audacity which is free, and a great product!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
CatherineEvans

Post by CatherineEvans »

Gosh thank you guys for all of our input. I reviewed the mics and I have made a decision. Will go to best buy tomorrow and pick up one. selected the Samson Go mic liked the reviews.Do I need a pop filter or sound booth? Thanks for your help. Catherine
DrewJ

Post by DrewJ »

Depending on how you talk, you may or may not need a pop filter.
I've got a Yeti, my pop filter? An old sock.

As for a sound booth, just find a quiet corner of your house.
I've found the AC/Heat to have a formidable hum, so I go to the opposite side of the house.
Where I live, people (in cars) are more active at night, so I tend to record early in the day.

If you find where you live to be noisy, you might be able to take you laptop into a closet, and record.
I think there is a member here who makes a blanket fort and records in it.

Long answer short, pop filter, maybe. Sound Booth, strong probability you won't ever need one.
When the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won. -Second Witch
Read some poetry?
Cori

Post by Cori »

I have a marshmallow palace :D (but I think it's generally acknowledged this is overkill! :oops: ) I've only had it a couple of years. For the first 3-4 years I was here, I just found a quiet corner. I tried recording under a duvet but it sounded muffled and not nice. I didn't use a pop filter then, either -- the mic I had just didn't need it.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=49036 has some more setups and pics. But seriously, get going with a mic first, make sure you completely love recording, and then grow from there. It's not at all necessary.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Hi Catherine

I have never used a sound booth. As I live in a fairly quiet house I can record in any one of three rooms. It is preferable to use a room with either a carpet or at least a large rug on the floor, and which also has some curtains. I find that it is best to aim for a sound with a little natural reverberation - if all the echo is completely dampened the sound can become dull, muffled and lifeless.

The Samson Gomic (I have one) will provide good qualify sound. However, it is important to anchor the device as it tends to slide if one touches the USB cable. It can be fastened by the clip to the top of a laptop screen, but the clip is not wide enough to be fastened to a desktop monitor. If necessary you can purchase a desktop mike stand for about $US12.

Being an electret condenser microphone the GoMic iis very sensitive to moisture. For this reason a pop filter is recommended. A surprising amount of moisture comes out of the mouth during ordinary speech, and much of this ends up on (or in) your microphone. If you don't want to buy a pop filter there are many YouTube videos about making your own.

Another quirk of the Gomic is that when connected Windows will make it the default device for audio playback. You then have the option of connecting your headphones to the Gomic or changing the audio playback setting in the Control Panel. I don't know if this is an issue for Mac users.

Apart from its sensitivity to moisture the GoMic is quite robust: it can handle the occasional knock reasonably well.

Overall the sound quality should be more than adequate for your needs. I know of at least one reader who uses the GoMic to record commercial audiobooks.

Have fun!

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page