Need Uploader help? (was: Report Uploader Errors)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
MrsTiggyWinkle

Post by MrsTiggyWinkle »

Platform/Operating system: Windows 8
Connection type: Wireless (is that what you're asking for?)

I am attempting to upload 1 file.
File size: 5.91 MB

The error message I receive, is next to my file and file size and it says Error in a little red box and next to that it says "true".

Ive tried uploading about 4 times, and I receive the same message. Not sure what's wrong. :/

Thanks!
-Lexi
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Lexi, would you tell us 1) which browser you are using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc) and 2) the name of the file you tried to upload? Also, would you double check that you are using the new uploader:
http://librivox.org/login/uploader
NOT the one with dev. in the link name like this: dev.librivox.org
Laurie Anne
MrsTiggyWinkle

Post by MrsTiggyWinkle »

Sure! Sorry about that!
Im using Internet Explorer. Andd I am using the new uploader. I am trying to upload folktales_13_mabie. <- Is that what you were asking for?
Thanks!
-Lexi
Cori

Post by Cori »

Just to check, I know it's a silly question :) is there a .mp3 at the end of the file name?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
MrsTiggyWinkle

Post by MrsTiggyWinkle »

Uh well it is an mp3 so im assuming there is. Also, I re-named it several times some times with and without the mp3 name at the end so when I added it, it looked something like folktales_13_mabie_128kb_mp3_mp3.
if that makes any sense...

-Lexi
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It should end in .mp3, not _mp3. When you export an Audacity file as an MP3, it automatically adds the .mp3 to the end, but if you have renamed it, it may have gone a little awry. ;)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
MrsTiggyWinkle

Post by MrsTiggyWinkle »

okay. I think I've got this so: folktales_13_mabie_128kb.mp3
And if that's correct, I tried uploading it like that and it still gave me the error message. :|

Lexi
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

What is the web address for the uploader you're using?

I'm thinking there had been a problem with IE on Windows 8. I don't know if it's fixed or not. Perhaps that is the problem. :hmm:
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
MrsTiggyWinkle

Post by MrsTiggyWinkle »

http://librivox.org/uploader
and, I even tried exporting the original just now, and doing the process over again, but it still didn't work.
Also, could the lame be bad? The other day I downloaded lame from the website that audacity directed me to http://lame1.buanzo.com.ar/ Was I supposed to download lame from somewhere else?
-Lexi
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

This is a problem with Internet Explorer and Windows 8. I have never been able to upload to the new Uploader with that combination. It's reported in the second post in this thread. I just tried it again and it still doesn't work. The only difference with me is that I don't get an error message; I get nothing at all.

Lexi, I'm afraid the only way that I have found around this bug is to switch to a different browser. Firefox works for me with Windows 8; you might want to try that. If you don't have another browser to try and don't want to install one, tell your MC that you are having trouble and perhaps alternate arrangements can be made.
Laurie Anne
MrsTiggyWinkle

Post by MrsTiggyWinkle »

Okay. I tried it with Chrome, and that didn't work either... So I guess I'll try downloading Firefox. Now, last question, how do I download firefox? haha.

-Lexi
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Wait a bit and I'll try uploading something with Chrome on my Windows 8 computer. I haven't heard of any problems with it so far so there might be something else going wrong for you.
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

How disconcerting -- I just installed Chrome and it insists on working like an app from the Metro screen, not like a normal browser on the desktop. Anyway, I had no trouble uploading a file using Chrome in Windows 8. I see that you were able to upload a file for Pollyanna on Oct. 9; can you tell us what's different for you this time? Were you using Explorer when you uploaded that one, or a different computer? Did you use a different process? That was an FLAC file, which is not standard for Librivox, so it could be that there was something wrong with the mp3 encoding for this latest one.
Laurie Anne
MrsTiggyWinkle

Post by MrsTiggyWinkle »

Yes, that was a flac. I've never done mp3's before. Everything was the same except for the mp3 process part. I wonder what could be wrong... For some reason, I feel that it is the lame that is the problem, that I just downloaded the other night. But it was the one that audacity directed me to... Or could it be something wrong with my file name? this is the name of my file: folktales_13_mabie_128kb.mp3
Another thing! I hadn't downloaded the FFmpeg.. Is that important? I just downloaded it now, and Ill try to export once again.
-Lexi
MrsTiggyWinkle

Post by MrsTiggyWinkle »

Ugh. Still didn't work. D: I don't know what im doing wrong?
-Lexi