Auto-Scrolling Text Reading Software?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
otorrhea

Post by otorrhea »

Can anyone recommend a good software with a simple, straightforward interface that I can use to make text auto-scroll at a steady, adjustable speed?

Imagine how easy it would be if you could just input the length of the file you're reading in TIME, and then the software would automatically calculate how fast the text should scroll. That way what you're reading would reflect the speed of the recording you're listening to.

The whole idea is I want a way to have text scroll in sync with the audio I'm listening to, as a way of proof listening. It needs to be hands free so I can look at it while I'm listening and doing the dishes.

This sort of thing is a mind-blowingly simple idea, yet I'm having a bafflingly hard time trying to find it. I'd appreciate any suggestions, even if they don't have exactly what I described, but are just straightforward and effective text readers with auto-scroll.
Cori

Post by Cori »

On what platform? I've used a few on Android and could recommend if you are reading from a tablet. Haven't tried it on Windows, Mac or iOS, though. They don't autoadjust in the way you specify but often have a words per minute you can set, which can be easily calculated for any book with an online, non-graphic text.

For me, for recording, it works quite well for non-fiction, and less well for fiction. Fiction there's more swapping for voices and I need to stop and differently emphasise what I've said more often. There's also changes in pace, depending on whether it's a chase scene (which is slower) or a kissy bit (which is faster.) Non-fiction tends to be steadier throughout.

Search terms that might help you include: prompter, autoprompt, autocue and sermon software. When I've been reading reviews, it seems many preachers use this sort of function in one form and another.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Cori wrote:On what platform? I've used a few on Android and could recommend if you are reading from a tablet.
I've just got myself an android tablet and was using it to read from. But it was a pain to scroll while recording and this type of app never even occurred to me!

Thanks otorrhea for the question. Cori, can you recommend a couple for me to start playing with?
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Cori

Post by Cori »

I like Android Prompter, although I've not updated in about a year. The settings are occasionally a bit wonky about saving and it can take a minute or two to load a long text (so I recommend chopping books up into their chapters or whatever the duration of a recording session is for you.)

There are other free ones in the Play store, but I've not tried any of them. I did use one for about 10 minutes that had adverts (nightmarishly annoying.) And another didn't let me scroll back when it was going too fast. But there are several options now that I've not tried, and updates on most of the ones that I have, so ... actually, this is a bit of a rubbish recommendation. :D

The other fun thing I have tried (since I'm having a tech evangelism moment), is to hook up an Android Phone with the tablet. There's a remote control app produced by the tablet manufacturer, for free! So I can use a phone as a remote control and just tap the screen in some book apps, rather than touching the tablet to turn the page. Not all reader apps work in a way that makes this useful, and I did find I kept missing the button on the phone screen and going to the menu instead. On a good day, it was very smooth, though.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
otorrhea

Post by otorrhea »

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll be trying to find something for my laptop running Windows 7. I will try those search terms that Cori suggested.

I also have an iPhone and an Android phone, and they may become useful for these purposes, but at the moment my laptop is the most physically appropriate for what I'm doing.
otorrhea

Post by otorrhea »

Ah, here we go. http://www.freetelepromptersoftware.com

Out of the handful of programs I've tried, this is the first one that's not total garbage. It's actually almost perfect, you can adjust the background / text colour, and size / formatting easily. The only thing is the scroll speed doesn't use numbers, just a visual dial, so I'll have to spend some time tuning it to the recording.
Cori

Post by Cori »

*grins* So, are you going to pick readers who you hope don't make too many mistakes? Or do you have a Cunning Plan for noting problems?
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Thanks Cori, I've downloaded that one to start with.

Thanks for that link, otorrhea. I see 6 android apps there, including the one Cori mentioned. I'll be playing all afternoon. :)
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
JaySands

Post by JaySands »

Hi all.
Not sure if your still looking for a auto scrolling device or teleprompter, I have found, and used this one at http://www.easypromter.com
You can use this free of charge and can control the speed of the scroll, and all you have to do is highlight what you what to read and insert it into this program and there you go. The only prblem is you have to purchase the program to be able to store your reading projects.

Not a bad program for what you want ot use it for . Hope this helps.
Entertainingly Yours,
Jay Sands
CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon »

That link did not work, but http://www.easyprompter.com/ did...
JaySands

Post by JaySands »

CalmDragon wrote:That link did not work, but http://www.easyprompter.com/ did...

Sorry about that. Let me know how it works out.
Entertainingly Yours,
Jay Sands
socks4tay

Post by socks4tay »

NinaBrown

Post by NinaBrown »

Cori wrote:*grins* So, are you going to pick readers who you hope don't make too many mistakes? Or do you have a Cunning Plan for noting problems?
That was exactly my question too, Cori. I did some PL for poetry with numbered verses and first few parts I did from screen - no scrolling text as I was PLing from raster scanned pages - I was taking notes of line number and scribbling comments, and found it very cumbersome, especially at the second go, when I was checking corrected recording. I found that paper printout worked best for me. Also I only have small notebook computer and the screen is just too small to keep Audacity (I PL from Audacity) and the text screen visible at the same time. It may work better on computers with two monitors.
-nina-