Does a Smart Tablet make noise?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Slithy

Post by Slithy » August 28th, 2014, 3:26 pm

GrayHouse wrote:
Slithy wrote:USB being behind it really makes a lot of sense. I'm using the USB cable that came with the Yeti itself combined with a low end OTG. Are there any keywords that would help me hunt down shielded products?
I don't think you'll find one. I've just cut open my own OTG adaptor to marvel at its poor construction. I'm guessing yours is similar - 30(?) pin edge connector with about 3 inches of cheap cable connecting to a USB A socket.

I'm very diy-inclined, so my approach would be to try to shield this one - the problem would be opening the 30 pin edge connector to make a connection to the outer metal casing. It's a lot of effort for a result that's not guaranteed...
Found one that claims some level of shielding that I'll probably try out. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4GGW5Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Not sure if i can link a product page but anyone can feel free to remove link if its a problem).

If that doesn't make an impact I can probably just deal with using the Notch Filter(there is a little noise left after filter but it is much better than before).

Thanks again for your help!

GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse » August 28th, 2014, 3:56 pm

You found one - excellent! Let us know if it works.

Yours is a little different to mine. I've just done some more surgery on mine - I used a scalpel to remove the plastic cover on the edge connector. If anyone else has this type [Samsung Galaxy Tab 2] and wants to experiment, you'd need to add some shielding (or replace the cable with proper shielded cable - some soldering required!) Solder the shield to the connector body at either end of the cable. I'm not going to do this because my recording solution is fine as it is. Hopefully this will help someone though.

Slithy

Post by Slithy » August 28th, 2014, 5:18 pm

Ah the old 30 pin samsung connectors... I was just shopping for a micro-b usb adapters for one of those because of the lack of higher durability charger cables(I'm afraid I don't have much DIY experience with cabling - though I have been considering playing with it after seeing a how-to on sleeving recently). The smaller size connectors are much nicer to deal with these days however, so I won't miss those 30 pin ones when they do go :P

Slithy

Post by Slithy » August 29th, 2014, 11:59 pm

So i tried out that otg adapter and it didn't work at all. I found a host otg cable that goes directly from mini usb to micro usb and that is going to be my next attempt at fixing this. It should be in by Wednesday so we'll see then if it helps. In the meantime if I have any free time this weekend, I do have my Pop filter in now , and I may try recording at a higher gain to see if that combined with the Notch Filter reduces the usb hum down to a level I'm happy with.

GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse » August 30th, 2014, 9:46 am

My experience with OTG is very hit-and-miss, so I'm not surprised.

The more I think about this, the more I suspect that it's a dirty power problem. If the 1kHz signal is getting in to the USB power wire (or the ground) inside the tablet then extra shielding won't help. The noise would then conduct up the USB cable and radiate inside the Yeti. Condenser mics are very susceptible to radiated noise which is why they have to be very well shielded.

I think that a powered USB hub may be the way to go. You want something like:
Tablet -> OTG adaptor -> powered hub -> Yeti [plus any extra adaptors/cables for size-change duties].

Obviously this make your setup less portable and perhaps a bit unwieldy. But my preferred solution is always to tackle noise at source, if possible. Invariably it makes for a better sound.
Regards,

-Ian
Last edited by GrayHouse on September 22nd, 2014, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slithy

Post by Slithy » September 2nd, 2014, 7:25 pm

I think you could be right about the power.

I got another OTG adapter in(of good quality) and a cable that went straight from the yeti to my tablet. Both of them functioned(unlike the star tech one which was "dead on arrival"), but both also had the same hum. I've been preoccupied the last couple of days but ill try to find a powered USB hub to try out.

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » September 4th, 2014, 9:49 am

For what it's worth, I read off of an iPad and record into a MacBook. The iPad is directly in front of a condenser mic and the 'Book a foot away within easy reach. Neither produces any measurably noise to the mic whatsoever. And no heat, which is a blessing working in a confined space.

There is no Audacity for iPad, although there is Twisted Wave for about $20. iPad would require a USB adapter to work with a Yeti; I have not tried an cannot vouch for it. The USB Apogee MiC and iTrack Solo interface both will work with an iPad, so it can provide phantom power. I have in a pinch recorded from a MiC (it comes with the correct connector) to iPad, and it works fine. In fact, Mic to iPad had less noise than MiC to MacBook via USB.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

Slithy

Post by Slithy » September 5th, 2014, 6:00 pm

sjmarky wrote:For what it's worth, I read off of an iPad and record into a MacBook. The iPad is directly in front of a condenser mic and the 'Book a foot away within easy reach. Neither produces any measurably noise to the mic whatsoever. And no heat, which is a blessing working in a confined space.

There is no Audacity for iPad, although there is Twisted Wave for about $20. iPad would require a USB adapter to work with a Yeti; I have not tried an cannot vouch for it. The USB Apogee MiC and iTrack Solo interface both will work with an iPad, so it can provide phantom power. I have in a pinch recorded from a MiC (it comes with the correct connector) to iPad, and it works fine. In fact, Mic to iPad had less noise than MiC to MacBook via USB.
I wonder if there could be any specific issue with the yeti connected via adapter or just something missing with the Android software to run usb mics.

Thank you for your input!

@GrayHouse
I tried out a powered USB hub today. I know the power was working because the Yeti light was on even before the tablet was connected, but the hum still remains. I think I may give in to the hum being there initially (which is light compared to the background noise my desktop makes) and refocus my efforts on using microphone settings and software to minimize the impact on my recordings.

Thank you for all your help in this thread!