PD Status of collections

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
raezel

Post by raezel »

I loaned The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Science Fiction from my local library. The book states the copyright status of the works, and a few of them say [story title] is in the Public Domain. So, is it possible for me to read these from this story collection for Librivox, or are they copyrighted "inside" the collection?
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

As long as they are listed as Public Domain, you can read them from anywhere -- hard copy or e-text. The only things in the book that would be considered under copyright are the post-1922 stories and any introductions, annotations, etc which were added to the stories after their original publication.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

in practice tho, if they are not in gutenberg, we need some way to verify that they are indeed public domain ... [oh, betsie....?]
raezel

Post by raezel »

hugh wrote:in practice tho, if they are not in gutenberg, we need some way to verify that they are indeed public domain ... [oh, betsie....?]
Would a photo of the copyright notice from the book suffice?
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

The answer is Yes..... cite your source like you would if you were writing a paper for school (Title, author, publisher, original publication date)

... it falls under the same guideline as html versions: Info Here

... in otherwords, what Caeristhiona said =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
kri

Post by kri »

Also, if you're positive (having double checked the two texts) that the work you have is exactly the same as a Gutenberg version, then read from it with no worries.
raezel

Post by raezel »

kri wrote:Also, if you're positive (having double checked the two texts) that the work you have is exactly the same as a Gutenberg version, then read from it with no worries.
The problem is that the story I'm interested in (Scarlet Plague by Jack London) is not in Gutenberg. I know it is published prior 1923 and it clearly is stated in the book that it is PD.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

raezel wrote:The problem is that the story I'm interested in (Scarlet Plague by Jack London) is not in Gutenberg. I know it is published prior 1923 and it clearly is stated in the book that it is PD.
Then you should be fine. If the book says it is public domain, then it is public domain. :)
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Razel, if you want to submit it to Project Gutenberg's copyright clearence process that would be great too... Here is the: How-to

... or, scan the title page and the publication information and I'll submit it for you =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!