having problems finding certain readers

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
BainbridgeCatherine

Post by BainbridgeCatherine »

I discovered Librivox (via AudioBooks) a few years ago and am a huge fan (when my list of completed works went over 100, I stopped counting!). One way I find new recordings is to follow a favorite reader, and one way I find a new favorite reader is to listen to projects that have various readers. However. Sometimes I hear a reader I like very much and when enter their name in the "narrator" field in the Catalog Search, there are 0 matches. I know many readers (all?) have screen names or nick names -- how do I find them if their "real" names do not return any search results? How do I find someone who has identified themselves in a chapter reading but does not show up in a narrator search? (Hope that makes sense!)

Also, can anyone tell me how to find solo works by a narrator? When I search for a reader, I get a list that usually includes many projects where that reader is just one of many. Perhaps this is just a matter of refining my search options but I haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks for any and all advice! If Librivox ever needs testimonials, I would happily write one. This project has truly changed my life.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello!

If you are using the catalog's search function, maybe you could try searching for the book itself and there find the name of the reader of the particular section you were interested in. Most names are linked to their catalog pages, so by clicking the name you can see the rest of the projects they have participated in. Or you can make a new search based on this name. Indeed, you can search for solo projects by choosing 'Solo' in the Solo/Group drop down menu in the advanced search (more search options) https://catalog.librivox.org/visitor_advanced.php

:D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Ah the mysteries of our catalog search. But first, thanks for the glowing testimonial; we do it for the art but appreciate listeners.

Every reader has a forum name and a catalog name. Sometimes they are the same, sometimes not; it is our choice. But the catalog name should be the only thing in our catalog so there are no nick names or stuff, just catalog names that we choose. But the search by narrator is uh ... quirky. I was waiting in a doctor's office just yesterday and wanted to check out the volume on something I had recorded last month so I did a search for my name and got a list of 133 'things' I had done. Now I know I've recorded over 700 sections (what we call chapters) so where were they? why did it return books that I had not recorded anything in?

I cannot answer your question as to why the incongruity with searching. Readers names should not change at all.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I will come along and answer us both. In the meantime, happy listening!!!! Image
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

What Phil said. :)

Also, to eliminate results "where that reader is just one of many," simply select Solo in the Solo/Group: field in the Advanced Search screen.

Hope this is helpful. If you're still having problems, a specific example might help further.

Enjoy!

Jim

EDIT: Sorry to simply repeat Rapunzelina excellent suggestion. Didn't see that somehow. :oops:
BainbridgeCatherine

Post by BainbridgeCatherine »

great suggestions, thank you Rapunzelina and Jim. (sometimes I am screen blind! -- did not see the Solo/Group field...)

Thanks also, Phil -- tell me, is there a way I can submit a letter/email to Librivox with my personal listening experience? It has been quite profound... Or maybe there is a forum topic where it would be useful? I confess to struggling with discussion formats.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Yes, Catherine! We have a thread called "Thankyous for LibriVox in general" and that would be a lovely place for that kind of post.

Phil wrote:But the search by narrator is uh ... quirky. I was waiting in a doctor's office just yesterday and wanted to check out the volume on something I had recorded last month so I did a search for my name and got a list of 133 'things' I had done. Now I know I've recorded over 700 sections (what we call chapters) so where were they? why did it return books that I had not recorded anything in?
Unless you only ever contribute one section to a project, Phil, your 'things' count will always be rather lower than your sections count. And in fact it's too late now anyway, since you've done a number of solos and can't "minus" anything to even the scores. :lol: Which books did your search include that you've not contributed to? That shouldn't happen, although sometimes there is oddness within collections.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Cori wrote:Yes, Catherine! We have a thread called "Thankyous for LibriVox in general" and that would be a lovely place for that kind of post.

Phil wrote:But the search by narrator is uh ... quirky. I was waiting in a doctor's office just yesterday and wanted to check out the volume on something I had recorded last month so I did a search for my name and got a list of 133 'things' I had done. Now I know I've recorded over 700 sections (what we call chapters) so where were they? why did it return books that I had not recorded anything in?
Unless you only ever contribute one section to a project, Phil, your 'things' count will always be rather lower than your sections count. And in fact it's too late now anyway, since you've done a number of solos and can't "minus" anything to even the scores. :lol: Which books did your search include that you've not contributed to? That shouldn't happen, although sometimes there is oddness within collections.
Yes, I realize now, a bit late, that you are exactly correct. The thing I alluded to was that even though I put my name in Narrator, with no other qualifications, the search returned things I had only BCd. Not a big thing but somewhat misleading. So I did contribute to all the search results, but just did not narrate some of them.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Can you give an example, Phil? That just shouldn't happen (and I've BCed WAY less than you, but still some, and they don't show up in my search.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Cori wrote:Can you give an example, Phil? That just shouldn't happen (and I've BCed WAY less than you, but still some, and they don't show up in my search.)
No I cannot Cori. I just took the time to do a careful search and found that the ones where I thought I was only BC or MC, I had indeed recorded a chapter. So indeed, the Reader search is working as it should. Sorry for jumping to erroneous conclusions. And i'm glad you had me check;that is why we pay you the big bucks, eh?
It does show me as a reader for Emma, a dramatic reading in progress, where I am only an editor. But this is no doubt the way my name is recorded in the MW.

Cori

Post by Cori »

Big bucks? :lol: I'm pretty sure my payment is all the audiobooks I can listen to, right?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just to keep the thread correct , the advanced search (more search options) has a "reader" option not a narrator :D
Both the forum name and the catalogue name are searchable but if you are listening it may be difficult to tell exactly how the readers name is spelled and our search is not as forgiving as google but as rapunzelina suggested look for the book you have and find the name , then you can search for the right spelling :D

Anne
Cori

Post by Cori »

People quite often write to the forums and say "I have a new favourite reader, and their name sounds something like Cory Samual, but I can't find them in the catalogue, help."

Well, actually, I don't think anyone's ever written EXACTLY that. But, for other people's names it's true ... and we have never failed to figure out a reader yet. (Even the ones that aren't actually from LibriVox :lol:)

Oh, also, in the search, you can put the first part of people's name. So "phil ch" "annis" etc. It's not a brilliant search, but sometimes that's enough to help.