Help! How Do I record from my iPad ?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Lanerd

Post by Lanerd » August 8th, 2012, 9:13 pm

I'm a complete noob at this, so I need some tips and advice on the right software to use for recording frm my iPad. I tried wavepad but apparently The project rate or something doesn't reach 44,100 Hz. And I really want to get started on recording soon.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks,
Alana

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » August 8th, 2012, 10:39 pm

I don't know much about iPads so if some comes along that does , ignore this

Can you tell us a bit more about what you are trying to do ?
Are you using the built in microphone ?
Are you recording straight into wavepad , or transferring the files to wavepad -
Is Wavepad on your computer or on the iPad ?
How are you making mp3 files ?

Anne

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » August 9th, 2012, 2:47 am

Someone else asked about this recently, no idea if the thread will be of any use to you: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=40214
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

Lanerd

Post by Lanerd » August 10th, 2012, 11:19 am

Thanks for the replies guys!

Anne,
Yep, I'm currently using Wavepad but it seems that the settings etc aren't up to par with what Librivox requires. Thankfully though I just set up Audacity on my PC, but I find it's still more convenient to record from my iPad.

So any suggestions for alternative apps I can use? or perhaps how I can properly configure Wavepad? (I tried googling but perhaps I can get more useful tips from here)

neckertb

Post by neckertb » August 10th, 2012, 1:29 pm

Last I checked I did not find any useful apps for recording on an iPad, which is funny because there are some for iPhone.
How about this?
sjmarky wrote:You can record and edit in GarageBand for iPad, however to export you would need to sync your iPad with a computer with iTunes. Your recording would then appear in your iTunes music, where you can convert to MP3 and do ID3 tags. The iPad mic will work (doesn't sound as good as the iPhone mic to me).
ETA: my experience with GB is really bad, it kept on adding silence and converting my files to stereo, but I think someone since posted in the wiki how to do it properly.
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus

ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro » August 10th, 2012, 2:35 pm

Hello again Alana san,
Lanerd wrote:Thankfully though I just set up Audacity on my PC
So it's easy. Just record sound in wav on iPad and transfer the data into PC.
Then you can convert the format from wav into mp3, also do noise cleaning & amplifying.

For recording I used PCM recorder on iPad. I recorded 2 poetries on iPad for LibriVox.
Don't forget 5 second silence time when you record.

Cheers,
Masa

Lanerd

Post by Lanerd » August 11th, 2012, 9:56 pm

Thanks guys!

Very useful tips. I am trying them out as we speak :D

Cheers

David Richardson

Post by David Richardson » August 12th, 2012, 1:34 am

I use the free App - 'Pocket Wavepad' on my iPad with an external mic. Open 'settings' in the App (Bottom left button) choose WAV/PCM, sample rate 44.1 and 16 bit and you're away. I then export to the desktop and edit in Audacity.
The universe is made up of stories, not of atoms.
- Muriel Rukeyser

My LibriVox Page Blog The Metamorphosis

David Richardson

Post by David Richardson » August 29th, 2012, 3:33 am

How to record with an External Mic on the iPad.

Thought I’d give a more detailed account of how to record with an iPad and external mic. This is how I do it – not definitive but it works for me. :)
Firstly, you can get really great quality technical results – I recorded this one using a Blue Yeti on an iPad.
http://ia600604.us.archive.org/24/items/mystery_1208_librivox/mystery_dunbar_dr_64kb.mp3

How you do it depends on which external mic you use. USB mics generally need phantom power to make them work – on a desktop and most laptops the computer provides this phantom power via the usb socket that the mic is plugged into. The iPad is not able to produce as much phantom power as a computer but does work directly with some mics (usually the smaller ones) but not others like the Blue Yeti. But there is a solution to that.

You’ll need an iPad that runs IOS 5.

The iPad does not have a usb input so you need to buy an adaptor – you can use the Apple Camera Connection kit (around £25 or $29) there are actually 2 connectors in this kit but you only need one of them):
http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit?fnode=3a

Or the Editors Keys Microphone Connection Cable (around £14 or $20):
http://www.editorskeys.com/recording-equipment/ipad-microphone-connection-cable.html

First download a recording app onto your iPad from the App Store – I use ‘wavepad’ (it’s free) which works really well and includes the 44.1Khz 16 bit settings for LV.

Plug you mic into the iPad via the adaptor and start recording. When you’re done, unplug the mic then plug the iPad into a desk or laptop open it in iTunes and once it has ‘synched’ click on ‘iPad’ in the left panel then click on ‘apps’ in the top panel – scroll down to the very bottom where you’ll find ‘wavepad’ click on this and up will come the files of your recording – click on these then on ‘save’ and the file will be saved as a ‘wav’ file on the computer, where you can then open it in Audacity or whatever. That’s it.

But what if you are using a bigger mic like the Yeti. What you need is a Powered USB Hub to provide the phantom power and unfortunately not all powered hubs will work (it’s something to do with the voltages) so it’s important you choose the right one – I use this one which I know works:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-2-0-4-Port-White/dp/B000NB05MO

Then it is important you plug things in the right way around.
The connection sequence is:
▪ plug the powered USB hub into a power socket
▪ plug theYeti into the powered USB hub
▪ connect the USB cable from the hub to the camera connection kit
▪ plug the camera connection kit into the iPad
& open the recording app (it can be already open, it doesn’t matter)

There is a more detailed article on this at:
http://mactips.info/2011/11/how-to-use-a-yeti-microphone-with-the-ipad-2
Although the article refers to an iPad 2 the setup also works with the iPad 1

When you first set up the mic on an iPad you may get a warning: "The connected USB device is not supported'. Ignore this. It pops up regardless of whether the microphone actually is supported.

And that’s it. You can of course edit the files in WavePad itself on the iPad but to be honest this is quite fiddly compared to Audacity.

Now the above may seem a little complicated at first, but once it’s set up it’s simple. I’ve used both a Blue Yeti and Editors Keys SL150 with an iPad 1 and they both give great results. If you read your ‘script’ from an iPad you can easily flip between the recording ‘app’ and the reading ‘app’. Using a powered hub, even if your mic works without one, also reduces battery drain on the iPad.
The universe is made up of stories, not of atoms.
- Muriel Rukeyser

My LibriVox Page Blog The Metamorphosis