hardware question usb soundcard

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
lulularsen

Post by lulularsen »

Hi someone

I bought a microphone with af jackstick before I heard that one with a usb stick is much better. If I buy a usbstick with a soundcard and possibility to connect my jackstick microphone, will it then be as good as if the microphone had an usb? I´m looking at this one:

http://www.elgiganten.dk/product/spil-konsol/tilbehor-pc-spil/SSSIBERUSBWH/steelseries-siberia-usb-soundcard-hvid

Hope to hear from someone soon, I can´t wait to get started.

Sarah
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Some computer sound cards are better than others. I would suggest first submitting a one-minute test to see if your setup is fine without buying anything extra. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lulularsen

Post by lulularsen »

But it´s even more due to that I only have a microphone with a jackstick, so instead of buying a new microphone, could I maybe use the solution I mentioned?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

What is a jackstick? I assumed it was a round plug that you put into the microphone port on the computer. Do you have a link to the microphone that shows the connector?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lulularsen

Post by lulularsen »

Yes it is the stick you plug in to the computer, but I heard that it is better using usb to connect the microphone to the computer. So i thougt the usb "adapter" i found could turn my microphone to a usb microphone, but I don´t know if the sound will be better or worse by using that device
Cori

Post by Cori »

No, that won't make the mic a USB one ... I would definitely recommend a test now, before spending any money. Quite often, it's better to get a better microphone, it's very rarely better to upgrade the sound-card.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
lulularsen

Post by lulularsen »

Thanks for all the help.
I´m a little afraid of sounding negative. I tried using the microphone I have, but it doesn´t work. I run windows 7 and I´ve been trying every button I could find in the microphone settings, but even though I turn up the microphone volume to maximum and I yell in the microphone, I can only hear a little when playing it
Cori

Post by Cori »

Can you test it out on a friend's computer -- it might be that the mic itself is broken?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
carolb

Post by carolb »

lulularsen wrote:Thanks for all the help.
I´m a little afraid of sounding negative. I tried using the microphone I have, but it doesn´t work. I run windows 7 and I´ve been trying every button I could find in the microphone settings, but even though I turn up the microphone volume to maximum and I yell in the microphone, I can only hear a little when playing it
Just a thought...are you using Audacity?

If so you need to make sure that Audacity is switched on before you plug the mic in, otherwise it won't be recognised - even if you shout really loudly :wink:

Good luck.

Carol
lulularsen

Post by lulularsen »

I tried it on my netbook just now, and the sound is definitely higher, and I can see differences in the soundwaves in audacity which I almost can´t on my laptop though I set the preferences for the microphone the same.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I've done a test with a crappy analog mic using a USB adapter and without. It definitely made a difference with the adapter. The adapter itself costs about $5 Canadian.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

I just have to mention one other thing on the laptop--(simply because I have made this mistake! :) )

When you plug in your microphone to the laptop, then open Audacity, there is a little dropdown menu (kind of right under the Record button). Make sure that you have the correct microphone selected in Audacity. Otherwise, when you are yelling at your laptop (as I did!!), you are just recording using the internal laptop microphone--not the microphone that you have plugged in.

At least, this was a problem for me until I figured it out. Keep trying. :thumbs: There are lots and lots of knowledgeable, helpful people here at LibriVox!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
carolb

Post by carolb »

lubee930 wrote:When you plug in your microphone to the laptop, then open Audacity, there is a little dropdown menu (kind of right under the Record button).
But when I plugged the mic in before opening Audacity I was given no option at all in the drop-down box, it was just blank.
So Audacity needs to be opened first on my computer. :?

Carol
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

carolb wrote:
lubee930 wrote:When you plug in your microphone to the laptop, then open Audacity, there is a little dropdown menu (kind of right under the Record button).
But when I plugged the mic in before opening Audacity I was given no option at all in the drop-down box, it was just blank.
So Audacity needs to be opened first on my computer. :?

Carol
Very interesting, Carol! With mine, I have to plug the mic in first, then open Audacity. Otherwise, it doesn't "find" my USB mic at all. These computers just have minds of their own, I think--kind of magically do things! :shock: As for myself, I just accidentally stumble on the answer more often than not (as I'm not very technically astute)--hence my advice "Keep trying"--! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
carolb

Post by carolb »

ImageI'm just going to hide behind the sofa now!

I'm so sorry for the confusion - sometimes I talk rubbish, so please take no notice!

Carol :oops: