Replacing my microphone

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

For the past couple of days, I have had some serious issues with my microphone. It has been picking up some weird distortion and will occasionally make a high-pitched squealing sound under no provocation. In truth, I've been having trouble with this microphone since I got it (particularly with Main's Hum) and want to replace it.

I am currently using a Samson Meteor Mic, and would like to get something a little more dependable and convenient. Obviously, an increase in sound quality would be preferred (who wants a decrease?). I'd also like to see if there were any headset microphones worth considering. With my current set-up, I either have to sit on the floor or crouch forward on my sofa... and both of those positions really hurt my back. Cost is also a consideration. I'm not going to go too stingy, but I'd prefer getting a microphone that didn't go too far into the three-digit range.

Any recommendations?
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Could you get a regular mic and put it on a mic stand? I don't recall your recordings, but I would say in general that you'll get worse sound from a headset mic.

I've got the Samson Q1U mic - looks like a traditional mic, but plugs into my computer - that I have on a mic stand. I lounge on my couch and record. :lol:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

TriciaG wrote:Could you get a regular mic and put it on a mic stand? I don't recall your recordings, but I would say in general that you'll get worse sound from a headset mic.

I've got the Samson Q1U mic - looks like a traditional mic, but plugs into my computer - that I have on a mic stand. I lounge on my couch and record. :lol:
Oooo, yes, I want to lounge. I've noticed that my line readings are better in rehearsal, when I'm sitting comfortably on my sofa. And then I start flubbing lines when I'm recording, because my back is all twisted and hunched.

I'll definitely look into getting a microphone stand.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Guero

Post by Guero »

Chuck - This might be out of your price range, as it does go slightly into the 3-digits, but I think the Zoom H2 is the best thing since sliced bread! :) Once I bought it, I've never looked back! I'm sure others will be along to recommend microphones...and there are several threads on this subject with previous recommendations. This is one of the most common discussions here. :P
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

I'm really enjoying chasing down the links to these higher-fidelity/-end tools. I'm still bamboozled, but grateful to be able to participate, to date, as a recording reader. I'm still working on the listening end, which brings me to, if you'll pardon my leap, this topic-thread.

Okay, it also brings me to the Weekly Poetry topic-thread: I finally found *something* to do to A File that results in changes I can see & hear; yes, I have alternate mp3s already made for the recording I submitted for this week's poetry reading, which I can make available, but that's beside the point.

Without risking mis-using vocabulary like "sample rate" and "bit depth", I found out what happens when I do all my "usual edits" on, not the original-original Audacity recording, but an mp3 of that RAW data, which I've Exported then re-opened. On *my* equipment, it makes A Difference, and I'm just so happy to have found *anything* that makes enough of a difference for me to *hear* (seeing is easier, once I've zoomed in far enough to see the dots), and please recall how I'm using a dorky little Logitech USB mic on a Mac mini &c.

Bottom Line: for y'all who're trying out these pricey new mics, I should *hope* that if you were to run an experiment like to my own--that is, after recording, before making *any* edits, Export your raw recording to an mp3 and perform all your edits ("at the same time" is best, imo) on both files--the differences should be really, *really* obvious. See, if you can't tell the difference between the edited RAW.aup and the identically edited MP3.aup, you're plugging your fancy microphone into an under-powered system, right? {...but what that'ud mean specific to the sort of gizmo John/Guero is pointing at, i am in NO position to speculate, where Audacity is concerned}

If this is another one of those posts that doesn't make enough of the right kind of sense yet, I'm sorry already, please don't yell at me...and I'll try again next month! :mrgreen:
\\//_ -- cyn
____
"Computer: end program." - var.

"Here, this is not my doctrine, 'tis my study;"

"Word of the day"
catrose

Post by catrose »

My recommendations are on my blog! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

I would definitely recommend the Samson Go Mic if you record using a laptop, since you can clip it onto the monitor :)

Also, I got the Zoom H1 last week for my birthday, and have fallen in love with it. I get the impression that it's less complicated than the H2. Cheaper too :p

For a head set I would recommend the Logitech H360. Having a quick look on ebay, you can get it very cheaply and the quality is definitely good enough for librivox. However, I personally would never use a headset mic again as they make me feel trapped. Any slight movement, and it's gonna get picked up by the mic :(
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

ashleighjane wrote: I personally would never use a headset mic again as they make me feel trapped
I would think just the opposite would be true -
I have avoided using anything other than a headset mic, because I wanted the freedom to move my head around and still keep the mic at a constant distance from my mouth.

I did just order a Go mic, though, since everyone has been raving about it -
to improve the sound quality of my recordings. It'll be here next week, so It should be an interesting experiment.

Patti
The trouble with life isn't that there is no answer, it's that there are so many answers. Ruth Benedict

Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema

My Page
Guero

Post by Guero »

When I was using a headset I did like the freedom to move my head and have the mic stay at the same distance. But, as ashleighjane pointed out, that movement always resulted in unwanted noise added to my recording. So, I go with the handheld option and do my best to move my arm along with my head.
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

With a microphone on a stand, as long as it's reasonably sensitive with a wide-ish pickup area/volume, you can move your head fairly comfortably without affecting the sound too much (any anyway, unless you move way off centre, you'll only be affecting the volume, which you can adjust later).

Being able to move your head in relation to the mike does mean that whispers and shouts can be recorded nicely by moving in and out without being drowned in background noise or clipping.

My mike's on a free-standing vertical stand. I generally record sitting by it, with the computer screen perhaps a couple of metres away, so I can watch for low volume or spikes on Audacity, without the computer hard drive reaching the mike.

Peter

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I highly recommend the Zoom H2. I never record in front of my computer anymore as it's fan is really noisy! I read from a real book or an ipod. I love that I can move around the house to find the quietest places to record. It's also great if you are traveling.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

I am surprised to hear that you are having problems with the Samson Meteor mike, which is the actually the next step up from the Samson GoMic, which is popular with many LV readers . Maybe you simply had the misfortune to get a lemon.

If you don't want to persevere with the Samson range (many readers have been very happy with the Q1u and C01U) the AKG Perception 120 may be worth considering. You can check the product on Amazon -(http://www.amazon.com/AKG-PERCEPTION-120-USB-Microphone/dp/B003DSI62U). You would certainly notice the improvement in quality over the Meteor mike. Please note that the Perception comes in two varieties - the USB ( which is slightly more expensive) and the regular model (cheaper - but you would also need a mixer and an XLR cable.)

If you do decide to upgrade to another Samson model, I would avoid the G-Track - looks impressive but is extremely noisy.

Happy shopping!

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by ChuckW »

Thanks for the advice, everyone. After some consideration and counseling, I've decided to keep my microphone for the time being (the problems seem to have subsided) and instead invest in a good microphone stand. I don't know if that'll fix my sound quality issues, but I know it'll save me from hunching over my microphone.

Thanks for the help! :)
PROJECTS