[FIXED] iTunes scrambles the chapter order on my ipod

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KeithThomas

Post by KeithThomas » June 14th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Does anyone have an idea about this? It's pretty frustrating and sometimes borderline dangerous (I'm driving along happily listening to House of Mirth, the chapter ends and we go to the LAST chapter, in which too much is revealed, and I'm tempted to fiddle with my ipod while driving....)

Here is my process for getting Librivox onto my ipod (an older 4 gig model). I have a Mac with OS 10.6.8, iTunes 10. I download the books as zip files. Once loaded onto my computer I drag them into a new playlist. It all looks fine at this point. When I drag them onto my ipod they still look fine, with the correct order. But, when I play them back they don't play in order. They look right but they don't play right. Ideas? I'm guessing this isn't an unusual problem. If there's already a thread about this I'm sorry I didn't search around enough.

Best,
Keith

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 14th, 2012, 2:34 pm

I'm not a iThings user, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

Is there an option for random play that you're missing? Some MP3 players will shuffle the songs for you. This is nice for music, but not nice for a book. :lol:
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
The Medici family history: LINK

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw » June 14th, 2012, 2:47 pm

I am not an iPod user, but on my Sansa MP3 player, the files have to be in their own folder to play in order.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » June 14th, 2012, 4:15 pm

aradlaw wrote:I am not an iPod user, but on my Sansa MP3 player, the files have to be in their own folder to play in order.
Hey, I am a Sansa MP3 player user too and found that out after much confusion. :D Don't know about iPods but they are probably much easier and harder to use both.
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
I may sit there looking all nonchalant. But underneath I'm really just loaded with chalant. .

Need Help? More sorta helpful Videos Here

dusty

Post by dusty » June 14th, 2012, 5:45 pm

The iPod does have a shuffle option.
You should be able to go to the home screen and select the settings.
Look for the shuffle option and make sure it is set to off.

Another way: If you have an iPod with the click wheel, you can also try this:

Press the center button to page through the options

Press it one time and it puts the iPod into a mode where you can "scrub" through the file that is active. (handy if you want to fast forward or rewind a long file)

Press it again and you will see five little dots that you can change into stars to rate the song.

Press it a third time and you will see the criss-cross arrows that signify shuffling and three buttons: Off, Songs, Albumns.
Use the wheel to rotate to off and press the center button again to confirm your choice.

Hope this helps,
dusty

KeithThomas

Post by KeithThomas » June 15th, 2012, 7:12 am

I can't believe I didn't think of this. You guys are right, it was on Shuffle. Doh! Thank you so much. Now Dickens' Children's History of England is coming out as Charles intended it.

Keith