Pronunciation help: all languages

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Peter Why
Posts: 4599
Joined: November 24th, 2005, 3:54 am
Location: Chigwell (North-East London, U.K.)

Post by Peter Why » September 12th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Thanks, Availle; it's very early in the morning for me, so I'll listen to them in about 8 hours' time.

EDIT: That sounds fine; thanks, Availle.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5008
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » September 15th, 2019, 4:15 pm

Help with French, please!

Les sourd-muets se trouvent-ils malheureux?

No translation needed, just pronunciation, please. :)

tovarisch
Posts: 2883
Joined: February 24th, 2013, 7:14 am
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Post by tovarisch » September 15th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Could a native speaker please check my attempt to help Devorah:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/french_for_devorah.mp3

Thank you!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22774
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 16th, 2019, 1:18 am

tovarisch wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 5:50 pm
Could a native speaker please check my attempt to help Devorah:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/french_for_devorah.mp3
almost correct, Victor, just 2 small errors:

1) "les" (plural), you said "le" (singular): "les" sounds more like the English "lay" (not exactly, not really an "ey" sound but close. More like without pronouncing the 'i' at the end - it's difficult to explain). Maybe you know the French word "lait" (milk) it's pronounced exactly the same way
2) "trouvent" (plural again), you don't pronounce and nasalize the ending syllable "ent" in plural endings. So it's only "trouvetil" (the liaison with the end-t and the initial-i was very correct)

The rest was perfect. :thumbs:

I cannot record right now, Devorah, but if you need to hear what I mean, I can do it this evening. But maybe with Victor's file and my additional explanation you will manage.

Sonia

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5008
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » September 16th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Kitty wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 1:18 am
tovarisch wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 5:50 pm
Could a native speaker please check my attempt to help Devorah:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/french_for_devorah.mp3
almost correct, Victor, just 2 small errors:

1) "les" (plural), you said "le" (singular): "les" sounds more like the English "lay" (not exactly, not really an "ey" sound but close. More like without pronouncing the 'i' at the end - it's difficult to explain). Maybe you know the French word "lait" (milk) it's pronounced exactly the same way
2) "trouvent" (plural again), you don't pronounce and nasalize the ending syllable "ent" in plural endings. So it's only "trouvetil" (the liaison with the end-t and the initial-i was very correct)

The rest was perfect. :thumbs:

I cannot record right now, Devorah, but if you need to hear what I mean, I can do it this evening. But maybe with Victor's file and my additional explanation you will manage.

Sonia
I think I kind of understand what you mean, but it would really help to have a sample to imitate. If you could still manage. Thank you both! :D

tovarisch
Posts: 2883
Joined: February 24th, 2013, 7:14 am
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Post by tovarisch » September 16th, 2019, 5:57 pm

I think I've corrected the sound following Kitty's notes. Same link.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22774
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 16th, 2019, 11:51 pm

tovarisch wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 5:57 pm
I think I've corrected the sound following Kitty's notes. Same link.
it's perfect like that, Victor :thumbs: so I didn't explain too bad after all.

Devorah, sorry I got your message too late, but Victor made a great job of it, it's exactly how it should sound :)

Sonia

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5008
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » September 17th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Great, thanks again. I'll be running here and there with hardly a minute at home over the next two to three days, but I will at least find the time to download this file so that I'll have it at hand when I'm ready to record again. As I understand it, files in the tests folder can't be depended on to stick around for long before they're cleared out. :P

tovarisch
Posts: 2883
Joined: February 24th, 2013, 7:14 am
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Post by tovarisch » September 18th, 2019, 5:28 am

I have a copy of it, Devorah. :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 17568
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » September 18th, 2019, 5:34 am

We're trying to keep the tests around for half a year or so. You won't be gone that long, right? :shock:
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5008
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » September 18th, 2019, 7:09 pm

Availle wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 5:34 am
We're trying to keep the tests around for half a year or so. You won't be gone that long, right? :shock:
Haha no of course not! I wasn't sure how often they were cleaned out, really. I just wanted to be safe. But I've just saved a copy of it, so that I'll have it anyway. :)

GraceBuchanan
Posts: 120
Joined: September 28th, 2019, 7:23 am
Location: Northern New York
Contact:

Post by GraceBuchanan » March 21st, 2020, 4:04 pm

I have a list of words that I'd like help with pronouncing for the first chapter of the book that I'm preparing to record.

Se Wulf Saxon
Heafd Flowan Anglo-Saxon
Italiae Febris, pluo, fluo Latin
Le Tac, Le Horion, Cephale Catarrhale, Coqueluche, La Grippe French
Coccoluche Anglo-French
Ladendo, Influente, influo, Catarro Russo Italian

German fliessen
Greek phleo
Sanskrit san, sam, krita, Plu

Thank you so much!
LibriVox publications at https://librivox.org/reader/13638/
Blogging at https://WeaverGrace.com

schrm
Posts: 2544
Joined: February 10th, 2018, 11:02 am
Location: Austria

Post by schrm » April 5th, 2020, 1:51 am

GraceBuchanan wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 4:04 pm
I have a list of words that I'd like help with pronouncing for the first chapter of the book that I'm preparing to record.

Se Wulf Saxon
Heafd Flowan Anglo-Saxon
Italiae Febris, pluo, fluo Latin
Le Tac, Le Horion, Cephale Catarrhale, Coqueluche, La Grippe French
Coccoluche Anglo-French
Ladendo, Influente, influo, Catarro Russo Italian

German fliessen
Greek phleo
Sanskrit san, sam, krita, Plu

Thank you so much!
did you get help?
i can make audio files for german, italian and latin if needed

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words are missing.
thx!


en: lay down your arms, essays on art by goethe

de: sammlung prosa, katerpoesie, allerlei gelehrte

GraceBuchanan
Posts: 120
Joined: September 28th, 2019, 7:23 am
Location: Northern New York
Contact:

Post by GraceBuchanan » April 5th, 2020, 4:41 am

schrm wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 1:51 am

did you get help?
i can make audio files for german, italian and latin if needed
Thank you for the offer! I recorded the words, but welcome your feedback. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=78677
LibriVox publications at https://librivox.org/reader/13638/
Blogging at https://WeaverGrace.com

schrm
Posts: 2544
Joined: February 10th, 2018, 11:02 am
Location: Austria

Post by schrm » April 5th, 2020, 5:44 am

GraceBuchanan wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 4:41 am

Thank you for the offer! I recorded the words, but welcome your feedback. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=78677
hi grace,

oh, when rapunzelina is dpl, i'm sure everything will be ok and understandable!
(that is what i learned thelast days: in the end, you are recording for an english speaking audience as an english speaking reader and it may even ease the flow of reading and listening, when you speak it in our way! and on the other hand, most of english readers pronounce german words better than we are able to speak english :-) )

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words are missing.
thx!


en: lay down your arms, essays on art by goethe

de: sammlung prosa, katerpoesie, allerlei gelehrte

Post Reply