Pronunciation help: all languages

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ArthurTrinchera wrote: March 12th, 2021, 3:47 pm I particularly needed help with names today, particularly names in different languages. Any recommendations?
English Wikipedia includes pronunciations of many historical names in the first sentence of the article devoted to the person. For hearing pronunciations by native speakers, my favorite site is https://forvo.com/

Michael
ArthurTrinchera

Post by ArthurTrinchera »

Much thanks for both replies !
sincerely,
Arthur
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Italian name pronunciation question:
How should I pronounce LoPizzo (as in Anna LoPizzo, killed during the Bread and Roses Strike)?
I had guessed the latter part of the name should sound similar to "pizza," but found online pronunciations for "Lopizzo" ranging from "low-PEAS-oh" to "LOP-is-oh."
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

JoannaHoyt wrote: March 28th, 2021, 5:53 pm Italian name pronunciation question:
How should I pronounce LoPizzo (as in Anna LoPizzo, killed during the Bread and Roses Strike)?
I had guessed the latter part of the name should sound similar to "pizza," but found online pronunciations for "Lopizzo" ranging from "low-PEAS-oh" to "LOP-is-oh."
Yes, in Italian, the word pizzo is prounounced like pizza which an o, and the expected Italian pronunciation would be law-PITS-tso (doubled ts sound). However, I believe it's a Sicilian name, and I'm not familiar with Sicilian.

Michael
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Thank you very much! Sorry, I hadn't realized it was actually a Sicilian name.

I've found audio clips of a few lecturers on the strike pronouncing her last name law-PEAS-oh, so I guess I'll go with that and hope it's right. Thank you again!
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Could someone speak the following French line for me, please? It's from a Sherlock Holmes story.
Un sot trouve toujours un plus sot qui l'admire.
Thanks,
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Peter Why wrote: April 27th, 2021, 5:10 am Could someone speak the following French line for me, please? It's from a Sherlock Holmes story.
Un sot trouve toujours un plus sot qui l'admire.
Thanks,
Peter
Here you go:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/french-for-peter.mp3

Michael
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Michael, that's perfect.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I'd like to request some pronunciation tips for the following Classical Greek phrases and words:

Περὶ μεσοτήτων

κόσκινον

χρονογραφία
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
MichaelCarter

Post by MichaelCarter »

Hi, I'm just wondering what Librivox policy is on exotic (hard to pronounce) names on these older English texts.
Is my "best effort" good enough? Is there a reliable place to look up how to say these names? Especially on joint efforts, how do i know what the others chapter readers are saying or pronouncing?

I imagine this question comes up a lot. I'm just struggling to find an answer.
What do you think?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Piotrek81 wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 9:39 am I'd like to request some pronunciation tips for the following Classical Greek phrases and words:

Περὶ μεσοτήτων

κόσκινον

χρονογραφία
Here's how I would say it if it helps: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/igxigckg.mp3
pe-ree me-so-tee-ton
kos-kih-non
hro-no-gra-fee-ah
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

MichaelCarter wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 10:08 am Hi, I'm just wondering what Librivox policy is on exotic (hard to pronounce) names on these older English texts.
Is my "best effort" good enough? Is there a reliable place to look up how to say these names? Especially on joint efforts, how do i know what the others chapter readers are saying or pronouncing?

I imagine this question comes up a lot. I'm just struggling to find an answer.
What do you think?
If it's a group project, I would ask in the thread; maybe the Book coordinator or other readers have an answer. Otherwise, "best effort" is more than good enough :D You could also do a forvo.com search or youtube.com search in case it appears in a video, though that wouldn't mean it's correct... :|
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Rapunzelina wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 10:43 am
Piotrek81 wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 9:39 am I'd like to request some pronunciation tips for the following Classical Greek phrases and words:

Περὶ μεσοτήτων

κόσκινον

χρονογραφία
Here's how I would say it if it helps: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/igxigckg.mp3
pe-ree me-so-tee-ton
kos-kih-non
hro-no-gra-fee-ah
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
MichaelCarter

Post by MichaelCarter »

If it's a group project, I would ask in the thread; maybe the Book coordinator or other readers have an answer. Otherwise, "best effort" is more than good enough :D You could also do a forvo.com search or youtube.com search in case it appears in a video, though that wouldn't mean it's correct... :|
Thank you so much! I'll do just that!
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Hi

Can anyone tell how to pronounce

Three _ li _ deep

Chapter 2 book Shen of the Sea

Regards
Viney Mala
:D