Pronunciation help: all languages

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

you're amazing! thanks Jordan. I'll do my best with it.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Montpelier:

* French city
* Vermont capital
* Square, in London <--- can someone tell me how this one is pronounced?

Thank you kindly!
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

I have several sources for pronunciation that have proven to be quite useful.

For English words - http://howjsay.com/
I have good confidence in their pronunciations, but it is mostly limited to English words and you'll find words that aren't listed on their site.

For everything else - https://www.howtopronounce.com/
Many languages and remarkable coverage (found pronunciation for 17th century Ojibwa proper names, for example). Also provides varying pronunciations of the same word used in different languages. I have less confidence in the "correctness" of some of these pronunciation though. In some cases you get multiple choices for the same word in the same language. Recording quality is variable from very good to indecipherable. However, I don't recall the last time I searched for a word and came up blank. I don't know how they do that unless it is computer generated or their contributors read the same books that I do. :roll:

Lastly, I recently found out that Google Translate has audio capability - https://translate.google.com/
Type in the word and it gives you a speaker icon in the bottom of the text box. Click on the icon and it pronounces the word. It offers pronunciation for both the word you enter and the derived word in the language you chose for translation. I haven't used it much, but it might fill some gaps in the others.

As for Montpelier, I don't have a guess, but wouldn't be surprised if it was pronounced differently in each place, France, Vermont and London.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Yes, they are pronounced differently, someone local perhaps will know how the locals say it. Unfortunately all resources I have found refer to the French city or the Vermont capital.

So, to reiterate for anyone only reading the tail end of this thread: :D

do you happen to know how to pronounce the Montpelier of Montpelier Square in London?

Thank you!
Eva D
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

If I was a betting person I'd go with the first pronunciation offered by howjsay.com, an anglicized French pronunciation, rather than their second one (a French version) or the peeler version which I'm guessing is what's used in Vermont. Now to wait for someone who knows what they're talking about. :lol:
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

My credentials for what they're worth. :)
I am from England. I know someone who lives in Montpellier Court in Exmouth. (I know it has an extra L in there.) We pronounce it as the first pronunciation here:
https://forvo.com/word/montpelier/#en
by gemmelo from the U.K.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Fritz, I am NOT the betting type. :D I know how much people hate it when you pronounce local landmarks wrong. But thank you. I like the sites you listed too, but I wish howjsay would move to a non-flash platform since browsers have moved so far against flash.

Bev, thank you so very much! :9: :clap:
Eva D
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Can someone tell me how I should pronounce the name of the polar explorer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Peary ?
Is it "pear" as in fruit or as in "spear?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Piotrek81 wrote:Can someone tell me how I should pronounce the name of the polar explorer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Peary ?
Is it "pear" as in fruit or as in "spear?
I have heard in pronounce "Peery" (so that would be your second option) but I'm not an expert.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Thanks. I am now watching a YT video about race to the poles and they also pronounce it this way.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Could someone help with the pronunciation of this (probably?) German sentence, please? It's for a non-LibriVox reading that someone has asked me for.

Noch einmal sattelt mir den Hyppogryfen,
Ihr Musen, Zum Ritt
Ins alte Romantische Land!

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Here you are:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/pronunciation_peter_why.mp3

I hope it's understandable, I did it very quickly on my internal laptop mic... if you need something more clear, I can do it later tonight.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

That's great; thank you, Ava. It sounds fine.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
mostlyantlers

Post by mostlyantlers »

A mountain in Victoria, Australia - Mount Eeles? Can't find anything online.

Also Terrinallum Hill.

Thanks.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Well as I'd never heard of it and have lived in Victoria all my life I googled it
The mountain was named Mount Eeles in 1836 by Major Thomas Mitchell after William Eeles of the 95th Regiment of Foot who fought with Mitchell in the Peninsular War. A draftsman's error meant that the name was rendered Eccles from 1845.[5]
, and it's now called Budj Bim
So say it any way you like , I probably would just say mount eels as although it still is a surname I've never met anyone with it.

As for Terrinallum Hill , much the same advice. Terrinallum very soon became a rich large grazing property.

Anne