Pronunciation help: all languages

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan » April 5th, 2020, 7:12 am

schrm wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 5:44 am
hi grace,

oh, when rapunzelina is dpl, i'm sure everything will be ok and understandable!
(that is what i learned thelast days: in the end, you are recording for an english speaking audience as an english speaking reader and it may even ease the flow of reading and listening, when you speak it in our way! and on the other hand, most of english readers pronounce german words better than we are able to speak english :-) )
Thank you for your kind message!

Yes, Rapunzelina is super supportive! Good point about recording for an English-speaking audience. I would like the words to be intelligible to someone who is familiar with them, but, like you wrote, it really isn't necessary since the text is written for people who don't speak those languages. Besides, I have heard varying pronunciations of common medical terms among people in the profession, so I must be excused for irregular pronunciation of these uncommon words.
LibriVox publications at https://librivox.org/reader/13638/
Blogging at https://WeaverGrace.com

acarlow

Post by acarlow » May 11th, 2020, 9:17 pm

Help with Greek, please!

In the second paragraph of page 260 of this text: https://archive.org/details/cu31924023187465/page/n297/mode/1up is a sentence in what I believe to be Greek. I am hoping that someone here could somehow provide the pronunciation of the sentence so that I could then record it for our project: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78960 (Cambridge Modern History, vol. 1).

Thank you!

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » May 11th, 2020, 9:54 pm

acarlow wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 9:17 pm
Help with Greek, please!

In the second paragraph of page 260 of this text: https://archive.org/details/cu31924023187465/page/n297/mode/1up is a sentence in what I believe to be Greek. I am hoping that someone here could somehow provide the pronunciation of the sentence so that I could then record it for our project: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78960 (Cambridge Modern History, vol. 1).

Thank you!
Two options:

1) Read it in Erasmian classical Greek pronunciation as eh-MAYS DOO-loy THE-loh-men EY-nai too bah-see-LAY-os tohn roh-MAI-on kai oo-HEE soo, with "THE" as in "thespian", and "ai" as in "my"

2) Read it in modern Greek pronunciation, which would be closer to the Byzantine Greek of that time: ee-MEES THOO-lee THE-loh-men EE-nay too vah-see-LAY-os ton roh-MAY-on kay oo-HEE soo, with the TH in THOO voiced as in "that" and the other voiceless as before.

It means "we want to be slaves of the king of the Romans (i.e., Byzantine emperor) and not yours".

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

Michael

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » May 19th, 2020, 4:55 pm

Any Kölsch speakers around here? I could use some pronunciation tips for a text written in Cologne around 1500 (so, probably with antiquated orthography). I can make sense of most of it, but I'm not entirely sure what sounds some of the letters represent.

https://archive.org/details/epidemicsofmiddl00unse/page/156/mode/1up

Michael

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » May 20th, 2020, 7:46 am

Two notes, Michael.

One, if you are not entirely sure, there is probably not enough people in the world (among our listeners) who would, either. Give it your best shot and move on.

Two, on the page 156, the link to which you posted, which line/paragraph are you referring to? Or is it the entire page?

Those are general notes. I am not proficient enough in Koelsch to provide any specific assistance. Sorry.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

KevinS

Post by KevinS » May 20th, 2020, 10:31 am

Kazbek wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 4:55 pm
Any Kölsch speakers around here?
Beer? Now you're talkin'!

schrm

Post by schrm » May 20th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Kazbek wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 4:55 pm
Any Kölsch speakers around here? I could use some pronunciation tips for a text written in Cologne around 1500 (so, probably with antiquated orthography). I can make sense of most of it, but I'm not entirely sure what sounds some of the letters represent.

https://archive.org/details/epidemicsofmiddl00unse/page/156/mode/1up

Michael
that was really long ago, as a not-cologne german speaker i have to pass here..
won't be of much help.
so i just could read it for you, and it wouldn't even be near the original pronounciation..

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words are missing.
thx!

en: lay down your arms, essays on art by goethe

de: sammlung prosa, katerpoesie, allerlei gelehrte

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » May 20th, 2020, 3:09 pm

schrm wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 1:00 pm

won't be of much help.
so i just could read it for you, and it wouldn't even be near the original pronounciation..
Thanks for the offer! It's for a solo project, but if you'd like to record it, I'll use your pronunciation for inspiration. My goal isn't to be historically accurate, but rather to make the text vaguely intelligible to listeners who know German. And if someone from Cologne hears it, hopefully give them a good laugh. :)

Michael

schrm

Post by schrm » May 21st, 2020, 3:40 am

Kazbek wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 3:09 pm
schrm wrote:

won't be of much help.
Thanks for the offer! It's for a solo project, but if you'd like to record it, I'll use your pronunciation for inspiration. My goal isn't to be historically accurate, but rather to make the text vaguely intelligible to listeners who know German. And if someone from Cologne hears it, hopefully give them a good laugh. :)

Michael
ok, since you are aware of the problems :-D

i will try to upload in a few hours into the tests folder, will post the link here

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words are missing.
thx!

schrm

Post by schrm » May 21st, 2020, 6:03 am

Kazbek wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 3:09 pm
schrm wrote:

won't be of much help.

Michael
hi michael,

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/katzbecks_mittelhochdeutsch.mp3
Track Length
2:55,07 (m:ss.ss)

my try..
just a little bit of editing, im sorry for every mouthnoise etc

this recording is in the public domain - you can delete it, also :-D

i hope i have time to choose one of the italien poetesse poems and read it, sometimes..

cheers,

edit: i know now, what you couldn't figure out:
he uses v as u, y as i, sometimes ae is ä, sometimes rather a_e
i know some of this problems with reading from grimms fairytales and my own projects - but that is difficult in dialect..
quite confusing!

/reader/12275
thx!

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » May 21st, 2020, 6:39 am

Great. Many thanks!

Michael