Pronunciation help: all languages

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

msfry wrote: June 20th, 2018, 3:10 pm Ah, and now this French sentence -- an advertisement for negro slaves back in 1852. Any help much appreciated.

Wm. F. Tannehill & Co. ont constamment en mains un assortiment complet d’ESCLAVES bien choisis A VENDRE. Aussi, vente et achat d’esclaves par commission.
Nous avons actuellement en mains un grand nombre de NEGRES à louer aux mois, parmi lesquels se trouvent des jeunes garcons, domestiques de maison, cuisinières, blanchisseuses et repasseuses, nourices, etc.
:shock: where did you get that from ? Well if you have time and if no one else is doing it till this evening, I can do you a recording of the text. Do you also need a translation ? :)

As for your newspaper abbreviations, I'm stumped :?

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Perhaps you should put the abbreviations in the general help section - and maybe a link to where they appear ? The are new to me but they are with advertisements for slave dogs -which give rates. She mentions printer comments on an ad giving info about how often they are to appear, I suppose they could be that but it's only a very wild guess

Anne
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

msfry wrote: June 20th, 2018, 3:10 pm Ah, and now this French sentence -- an advertisement for negro slaves back in 1852. Any help much appreciated.
Gosh! :shock: I'll give it a try. It's for the explanation to Uncle Tom's Cabin, right?

https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/french_ad_session.mp3

Sonia maybe should have a listen, as I am not a native french speaker :) I did it connected (like the french do, they have only one single word in a sentence :lol:), then tried to say every word, then connected again. Sorry, didn't manage to say it slower :oops: .

A rough translation:
Wm. F. Tannehill & Co. have constantly a complete choice of well chosen slaves ready to hand for selling. Additionally slaves are sold and bought on sale or return.
Presently we have ready to hand a high number of Negroes to rent this month (?), among those there are to be found young boys, servants, cooks, laundresses and ironer, nanas etc.
msfry wrote: June 17th, 2018, 10:39 am Terms, &c. &c.
That's the only one I have a clue - might be etc., etc. (et cetera)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

moniaqua wrote: June 21st, 2018, 1:47 am Sonia maybe should have a listen, as I am not a native french speaker :) I did it connected (like the french do, they have only one single word in a sentence :lol:),
:lol: there are also French speakers who make some breathing spaces in their sentences :mrgreen: but it's good that you made the "liaison" that's indeed sounding more genuine French. :thumbs:

Actually it's quite a good recording, I don't think I need to re-record anything. You pronounced the words correctly. Maybe only one error: repasseuses, you read it like it only has one 's' in "pass". It should have a harsh 's' because there are two. But that's being picky ;)

wasn't sure if the "co" is compagnon or compagnie, but I guess yours is correct.

Well done :clap:

PS only one question: why is this recording in stereo ? :lol:

Sonia
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Thank you, Sonia.

I hopefully won't need repasseuses in future, but I'll keep it in mind :D
Kitty wrote: June 21st, 2018, 1:56 am PS only one question: why is this recording in stereo ? :lol:
Ähm, oh, ähm, ja, also - because that sounds so way much better. :lol: Autsch. Didn't send the file through checker and forgot to reset the settings; I lately needed stereo somewhere else. Good, that you mention it :clap:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

moniaqua wrote: June 21st, 2018, 2:13 am Ähm, oh, ähm, ja, also - because that sounds so way much better. :lol: Autsch. Didn't send the file through checker and forgot to reset the settings; I lately needed stereo somewhere else.
:lol: ok well I was just curious. I never change my settings so I'm puzzled when all of a sudden other readers switch theirs. But yes, if you are recording for other things, you may need stereo.

Sonia
msfry

Post by msfry »

moniaqua wrote: June 21st, 2018, 1:47 am
Gosh! :shock: I'll give it a try. It's for the explanation to Uncle Tom's Cabin, right?
Thanks I will have a listen soon. No need to speak slowly, as I can use the Tempo Effect in Audacity to adjust speed.

Yes it is for the Key to Uncle Tom's Cabin, Section 34.
msfry

Post by msfry »

At last I have recorded the French ad for my Section 34 of Key. Thanks for all your help, and do let me know if anything is glaringly bad.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/michele_french_Key34.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

msfry wrote: July 20th, 2018, 10:56 am At last I have recorded the French ad for my Section 34 of Key. Thanks for all your help, and do let me know if anything is glaringly bad.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/michele_french_Key34.mp3
super well done :thumbs: I specifically listened to it without having the text before my eyes, to check if I would really understand even without a text. And I was able to follow :) You can leave it like that. It's good.

Sonia
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

French speakers! I need some help with a longer passage of French in this 1899 introduction to an old 16th century text (https://archive.org/details/cu31924027163835):

"Son oeuvre capitale est un ouvrage qu'il composa et publia
sous le titre de Champ fieury, migvel est contenu art et science de la due et
vraye proportion des lettres aitigues, qu'on dit autrement lettres antiques, et
vulgairement lettres romaines, proportionnees selon le corps et le visage
humain (Paris, 1529) ... ou il jette les bases d'une nouvelle grammaire
franijaise."

the shorter bits of French in this, I've been managing okay with, but listening to my terrible attempts at this longer thing while trying to edit them into a sensible/listenable anything is so hard. if anyone is willing to record a real French pronunciation of these lines for me to copy, I would be so grateful.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi :) I had a bit of time and recorded the sentence for you, first slowly bit by bit and then the whole sentence more fluently to hear it all in context.

Let me know if you need it even slower to copy.

I had to go to the original source though to read from, because your text here had many typos which made the sentence strange. Here is the correct sentence from the source, I underlined the words that were corrected:
"Son oeuvre capitale est un ouvrage qu'il composa et publia sous le titre de Champ fleury, auquel est contenu art et science de la due et vraye proportion des lettres attiques, qu'on dit autrement lettres antiques, et vulgairement lettres romaines, proportionnées selon le corps et le visage humain (Paris, 1529) ... il jette les bases d'une nouvelle grammaire française."
https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/french_plaidsicle.mp3

I wasn't sure if you wanted to say the date in French, but I included it to be on the safe side.

Hope it's of any help. :) I can have a listen to it if you wish.

Sonia
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

thank you so much! I will practice and let you know if I need more help or feedback... :)
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

This is not a pronunciation help, but I'm looking for a Japanese speaker who could help out PLing one poem in the Multilingual Project. It's Section 11, here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=70768

The poem is 9 minutes long. I already checked the technical settings and they are all ok. I only need someone who can check against the text, since I cannot read the Japanese script fluent enough to do it myself. :?

Thanks to anyone who can help out. :)

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm back again! There are numerous phrases I'm asking help for this time.
  • les petites morales "I fear the professors of universities do not attend much to les petites morales"
  • tout seul "I have no doubt but he will be weak enough to follow her daughter there, and leave poor solitary me to pass the winter, tout seul, in Dover-street."
  • Maudit amour "yet I fancy if she were obliged to sing a French song, Maudit amour, would be the first that would occur to her."
  • Adieu, adieu, ma tres chere soeur (at the close of a letter)
  • autour de vous "for there certainly is a serpent in the grass, somewhere, autour de vous"
  • Mais assez sur ce point "Yet I fear I shall make but few converts to my opinion; especially amongst the gay world, who, looking upon it in such a servile light, rank it with fasting, penitence and prayer; and too often postpone them together, till they may need them all themselves, and then are left, in their turn, to the care of servants and other mercenaries.—Mais assez sur ce point."
  • et mon pauvre amant humilié et humiliant "Now, pray let me be indulged in talking a little of myself, et mon pauvre amant humilié et humiliant"
So far as I can find, that's everything I'll need help with from all the sections assigned to me in this book. It'll take me awhile to get to all of them, so no hurry. :)

Thanks in advance. This community is wonderful!
Last edited by mightyfelix on October 27th, 2018, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

In a pinch I always turn to Google Translate, paste the phrase in the left-hand box and click on the speaker icon under it...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please