The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » May 28th, 2020, 8:54 am

In case somebody else needs older versions, Audacity team has their own repository of "legacy" stuff: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/legacy-windows/ and https://www.audacityteam.org/download/legacy-mac/
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 11th, 2020, 9:03 am

Y'all ought to hear me cuss!

I had to do one of those Zoom meetings for the first time last night. Didn't care for the experience really, but that's beside the point.

Today I recorded about thirty minutes of material and the ends of many of the words are getting cut off. To be fair, the computer insisted on updating something last night, too, but that seems to happen often enough without ill effects.

So, I don't know what to do. I assume I will remove the Zoom program entirely and maybe re-load Audacity. Maybe I'll install my new modem too. If I'm not around for a day or two, you'll know what happened.

Errrrggghhhhh.

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » June 11th, 2020, 9:44 am

KevinS wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 9:03 am
Y'all ought to hear me cuss!

I had to do one of those Zoom meetings for the first time last night. Didn't care for the experience really, but that's beside the point.

Today I recorded about thirty minutes of material and the ends of many of the words are getting cut off. To be fair, the computer insisted on updating something last night, too, but that seems to happen often enough without ill effects.

So, I don't know what to do. I assume I will remove the Zoom program entirely and maybe re-load Audacity. Maybe I'll install my new modem too. If I'm not around for a day or two, you'll know what happened.

Errrrggghhhhh.
I suppose you’ve read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=79454 Not that I would know anything about it. 8-)
~Rosebud

My DPL List

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 11th, 2020, 10:55 am

RSlabaugh wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 9:44 am
KevinS wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 9:03 am
Errrrggghhhhh.
I suppose you’ve read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=79454 Not that I would know anything about it. 8-)
Thank you. This confirms the reality of my problem. (Sometimes I wonder what I get into.)

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » June 11th, 2020, 3:05 pm

Having the ends of words cut off sounds like there might be some automatic noise cancelling turned on. Did you check the audio settings on your computer?

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 11th, 2020, 3:21 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 3:05 pm
Having the ends of words cut off sounds like there might be some automatic noise cancelling turned on. Did you check the audio settings on your computer?
Everything seems to be fine now. Thank you for asking! I thought the same thing, but in installing the new version of Audacity, the problems seem to be gone. (I still have to used to the few changes in Audacity, though. In four or five days I won't be moaning anymore about them, I suppose. I am something of a stick-in-the-mud.)

PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV » June 23rd, 2020, 1:18 pm

I have been having a problem with static sounds when listening to playback to edit my audacity files. This has been happening with increasing frequency. I know it's not embedded in the file, as I can play a 10 second clip and hear static, then play it again and it's clean. I hear the static both using headphones or the laptop speakers. I've run all kinds of diagnostics on my laptop and all are fine. The odd thing is that when I convert the files to .mp3's, they are clean as a whistle - no static at all. So I'm thinking it has something to do with Audacity. I downloaded the latest version, but still have the static sounds. Has anyone else experienced this?

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » June 23rd, 2020, 3:34 pm

Have you tried listening on different devices? Or with a different speaker/headphones? This sounds to me like it could be a hardware problem.

EDIT: Or, reading your post again, it could be that you're running out of storage space.

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 23rd, 2020, 4:19 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 3:34 pm
Or, reading your post again, it could be that you're running out of storage space.
Or, perhaps you have too many apps running at the same time, and Audacity is starved. So, free up some memory, CPU and hard drive space, and try again! :)
tovarisch

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » June 23rd, 2020, 6:07 pm

Yes, I also get the sounds like you mention once in a while, and then on replay it is clean. Audacity requires a lot of space in the computer and on the disks to work properly.

Thanks, Todd

PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV » June 27th, 2020, 7:45 am

Thanks everyone! I had a lot of older audio files taking up way too much space. Got rid of them and the static seems to be gone - :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 » July 1st, 2020, 9:32 pm

Hi, how do you decrease the playback volume on a recording so it falls inside the target range without having to record the section all over again? :help:

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » July 1st, 2020, 9:39 pm

Bookworm360 wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 9:32 pm
Hi, how do you decrease the playback volume on a recording so it falls inside the target range without having to record the section all over again? :help:
Here you go: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Amplifying :D

EDIT: To make it quieter instead of louder, just use a negative number.

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 2nd, 2020, 5:07 am

Bookworm360 wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 9:32 pm
Deamplifying helps only if the samples weren't clipped. If they were, no saving them, alas. Distortion (if it exists) is due to loss of information.

Best of luck!
tovarisch

Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 » July 2nd, 2020, 11:31 am

Thanks y’all, I will put it into practice soon! :D :clap: