The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

It's not a button, but the recording level (on the "Audacity Recording Meter Toolbar"); if you click on it, Audacity starts getting the sound from the input and show the level. Seems useful to see if your microphone is hooked up and giving some signal...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
gloryb

Post by gloryb »

Thank you for your help. I have a SamsonQ1U USB microphone. When I plug it into the USB port on the computer the green light comes on the mic. The computer also indicates that microphone is operating correctly. I tried three different USB ports on the computer. :hmm:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I have a SamsonQ1U USB microphone.
Me, too. 8-) And I haven't had any issues.

Have you chosen your mic in Audacity? Shift-I?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

gloryb wrote:Thank you for your help. I have a SamsonQ1U USB microphone. When I plug it into the USB port on the computer the green light comes on the mic. The computer also indicates that microphone is operating correctly. I tried three different USB ports on the computer. :hmm:
Do you start Audacity first and THEN plug the mic in? If so, Audacity has no idea that the microphone is there. Do "Transport -> Rescan Audio Devices" first, and then pick your microphone from the list of devices (or go to Preferences and select it as the recording device).

This is just a guess...
tovarisch
gloryb

Post by gloryb »

I do appreciate your time! I tried both of those. Still nothing.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

(1) Can you use your built-in mic (or another mic) to see if Audacity picks up another mic?

(2) Can you try using your Samson in another program (Skype, or something else that picks up sound), and see if it's working? The light may be on, and it may communicate with the computer, but maybe it went kaput in some other way. :hmm:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Have you checked to make sure the Samson is not muted or that the recording volume under Sound in the computer settings (control panel) hasn't been reset at zero?
Jo
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Another possibility (albeit rather slim) that some other program is running and has taken exclusive control of your USB mic...
tovarisch
gloryb

Post by gloryb »

Thank you all for these great suggestions. I will check out each and every one and get back with you. Gloria
gloryb

Post by gloryb »

Hello, I have isolated the problem however I don't know how to fix it. Maybe you can help. Jo was the one to lead me to the problem. Went to control panel to Hardware and Sound to Sound to Recording (shows my Samson as default) I clicked on mic. Sound level was at "zero." When I raise the level it won't stay where I put it and kicks right back to zero. I'm not able to click on "apply." Any help will be greatly appreciated. Gloria
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

You just found another symptom; let's hope it helps diagnose the actual cause... Can you select the microphone and click on "Properties"? If a new window appears, look through all the tabs there. BTW, which of the recording devices is your "default"?
tovarisch
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

gloryb wrote:Hello, I have isolated the problem however I don't know how to fix it. Maybe you can help. Jo was the one to lead me to the problem. Went to control panel to Hardware and Sound to Sound to Recording (shows my Samson as default) I clicked on mic. Sound level was at "zero." When I raise the level it won't stay where I put it and kicks right back to zero. I'm not able to click on "apply." Any help will be greatly appreciated. Gloria
After you click on the Samson mic on the Sound Recording tab, click on Properties to bring up the Microphone properties popup, then select the levels tab. You should be able to move the blue slider to the right to increase the level. Set it around 80% and then click OK.
Jo
gloryb

Post by gloryb »

When I do that it resets itself back to mute and 0 level as soon as I try to record. The volume level will not stay. I don't have any idea why. Is there something somewhere in the program that might be controlling that?
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I just checked on my system here (it's Win 7, though). The mic I have here is always plugged in, so that's different with your system, I suppose. It's a USB headset, that's another difference. I don't know if any of that matters. I start Audacity, it has the mic selected, I look at the "Recording Volume" slider - it's at 0.7. I go to Recording Devices (via system area, right-click on the speaker icon, Recording Devices). One of the devices is that mic. I click on properties, Levels tab - it says 70%. I start moving it and can see the Recording Volume in Audacity move in real time. I have no idea what else might be hogging your microphone and resetting its level. Can it be Skype or other communication program? My microphone is set as default recording device.
tovarisch
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Also, check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=64019 , the problem was some kind of malware.
tovarisch