The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
VivianWeaver

Post by VivianWeaver »

tovarisch

In reply to your comment. Yes I am using Audacity. Hmmm, checking on the sound activating recording comment....NO sound activated recording is not on; checking... I just disabled all sound effects in my OS under Control Panel for my headset and under communications it was set at reduce volume by 80% or 50% and I clicked on "Do nothing"...My frequency analysis settings in Audacity are; Algorithm: Spectrum; Function: Hanning window; Size: 512; Axis: Linear frequency....Am gonna have to look up High Pass....and Notch filter.... in my head set. Thank you. let me know if what I did change is all good.
Vivian Weaver
Never underestimate the power of your truth.
VivianWeaver

Post by VivianWeaver »

Carol,

Thank you, what a variety, and what a difference!!!

:shock:
Vivian Weaver
Never underestimate the power of your truth.
carolb

Post by carolb »

I hope you find one that suits you and ends your frustration, Vivian ;)

Carol
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

VivianWeaver wrote:tovarisch

In reply to your comment. Yes I am using Audacity.
Doh! My bad. We're in "an Audacity problem thread"... :oops:
VivianWeaver wrote: Hmmm, checking on the sound activating recording comment....NO sound activated recording is not on; checking... I just disabled all sound effects in my OS under Control Panel for my headset and under communications it was set at reduce volume by 80% or 50% and I clicked on "Do nothing"...My frequency analysis settings in Audacity are; Algorithm: Spectrum; Function: Hanning window; Size: 512; Axis: Linear frequency....Am gonna have to look up High Pass....and Notch filter.... in my head set. Thank you. let me know if what I did change is all good.
When I look at the spectrum, I use "Log frequency" and Size 8192, that gives much better resolution.

High pass and Notch filter are effects in Audacity. They aren't part of your OS device properties. If you didn't use those effects, that's fine. It was just strange to see low frequencies essentially non-existent in your waveform, but it could be the nature of your microphone.

I thought that your device might have either "auto-gain" or "voice-activated recording" or something, which is usually detrimental to recording, and that would be in the properties accessible via your OS.

As you turn those things off in your Control Panel, try recording again. See if it makes any difference now.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

High pass and Notch filter are effects in Audacity. They aren't part of your OS device properties. If you didn't use those effects, that's fine. It was just strange to see low frequencies essentially non-existent in your waveform, but it could be the nature of your microphone.
When I listened, it reminded me of my old headset microphone. I think low-cost headset mics do tend to have trouble picking up lower frequencies, which makes them sound a bit tinny. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I bought a new laptop a week ago which came with Windows 10. Are there any issues with Audacity on this OS that I should be aware of? The Audacityteam website says something about additional audio drivers that I may need to install. http://www.audacityteam.org/download/
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

My advice is to fix the problem when you have it, not when somebody else might have had it. Until (and unless) you actually are unable to record, put it out of your mind. Life's easier that way. :)

P.S. I know of "an ounce of prevention, etc." and in this case it really doesn't apply I believe.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I am running Audacity with Windows 10 and having no troubles yet. Seems identical to using it on my older Vista machine.

Thanks, Todd
mongope

Post by mongope »

I updated my computer to windows 10 and I did not have any problems.
Montse
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Thanks. :)

I downloaded Audacity 2.1.2 and followed the instruction to install LAME. Now, how do I check that it is actually installed properly? (It's been 5 years or so, since I last did it, and on a much earlier version).

EDIT: Wait, it says that I have LAME v. 3.99.3 Looks like a success. Now, on to setting the tech specs :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Notch Filter help

Hey! I've finished a recording but I am hearing something like a hum (that's what I think) especially at 1:38. I also tried using the notch filter but it's not working (I don't understand how to apply it). I think this sound comes from the laptop's fan. I used a headset while recording. Can anyone help me solve this problem? Or do I have to record the section again?

https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/notch_filter_gadfly.mp3

I am so sorry to bother you with my problem. And thank you for helping me.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I highlighted the "T" sound on "great" at 1:41 and did an Analyze/Plot Spectrum. Even taking into account the T sound itself, there are a lot of frequencies in your noise. The notch filter is great at filtering out noise in one or two frequencies, but not great at filtering out noise at a lot of different frequencies, since you have to filter them out one by one.

I tried filtering at 150 Hz and at 250 Hz, which were the two larger spikes, but it didn't help much.

I think this noise is too complex to use filters on. It'd be better to re-record the portions with the noise, I think. Someone else may chime in with a different answer and a magnificent set of filters to take it out, though. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Thank you, TriciaG, for your help. :D I think I will re-record it but not in the same place. Maybe the problem is in the place where I recorded the section.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
gloryb

Post by gloryb »

Hi, I have been recording all along with Audacity and Windows 10. Yesterday when I went to record and clicked on "click here to start monitoring" nothing happened. I have checked everything I know and reinstalled Audacity and took out the old one and still nothing happens when I try to start recording. Any suggestions? Gloria
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

gloryb wrote:Hi, I have been recording all along with Audacity and Windows 10. Yesterday when I went to record and clicked on "click here to start monitoring" nothing happened. I have checked everything I know and reinstalled Audacity and took out the old one and still nothing happens when I try to start recording. Any suggestions? Gloria
Hi Gloria. Where is this button that says "click here to start monitoring" in Audacity? I don't remember that one?
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk