The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

larryhayes7 wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 6:03 pm Is anyone using Audacity having an issue with Limiter effect? I've never had an issue with this and all of a sudden when I try to use it lit locks up Audacity

Larry
No problem for me, but I only tested a short section of recording.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

It should not be necessary to use a limiter. If you keep your gain level down to below -12 dB as a peak, then the recording will not distort. You can keep it even lower for safety and then apply gain in post.
dklymenko

Post by dklymenko »

Hi everyone.

I am panicking a little... I was working on a recording which was finished, and only needed some editing. While I had the aup. file opened, I moved both the aup. and the _data files to a different folder. Then I saved the aup. file and closed it. But my _data folder has disappeared. It is not on my desktop where it was originally saved, it is not in the new folder to which I moved it, it is not showing up in any search. It isn't in the trash either. It is just gone :/ I am working on a Mac. I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before, and if it's possible to retrieve the file...

Thank you!
DaleInTexas

Post by DaleInTexas »

Is it not showing in your File/Recent Files -list?
Dale
Dale Latham
Down on the Poor Farm
https://twitter.com/dalelatham
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It is possible that it vaporized your folder. I take it if you open the .aup file, it doesn't find the audio?

It's very risky to move the .aup file and data folders, as you seem to have found out. :?

In future, either do a Save As to "move" to a different folder, or export the raw file as FLAC (which is lossless). That can be moved around and imported back into Audacity with no issues.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
dklymenko

Post by dklymenko »

TriciaG wrote: April 12th, 2020, 7:09 am It is possible that it vaporized your folder. I take it if you open the .aup file, it doesn't find the audio?

It's very risky to move the .aup file and data folders, as you seem to have found out. :?

In future, either do a Save As to "move" to a different folder, or export the raw file as FLAC (which is lossless). That can be moved around and imported back into Audacity with no issues.
Hi, thanks for your reply :) Yes, the .aup file doesn't find the audio... I guess next time I will make sure all the audacity files stay where they were originally saved :/ Such a shame though...
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Go to FINDER and click on RECENTS and you should find where it is.
wildlindajohnson

Post by wildlindajohnson »

After a Catalina upgrade on my Mac, Checker is no longer functional/compatible. Is there another utility to check an audio file against Audacity's requirements prior to uploading it?
Linda Johnson
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

wildlindajohnson wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 4:39 am After a Catalina upgrade on my Mac, Checker is no longer functional/compatible. Is there another utility to check an audio file against Audacity's requirements prior to uploading it?
I don't know of one. You can either try and check everything yourself and submit the file and the DP will check it, and suggest any changes if needed. If you have access to a previous O/S it would be better. The best thing is to avoid new Operating systems especially with Macs as they are notorious for being rubbish for at least 18 months from when new. It may take a while for Checker to be Catalina friendly and by then the same problems may occur with a new rubbish O/S from Apple, or we may all be dead ... Sorry for the bad news!

P S Someone else might know of one - good luck!

Peter
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is less a "Help! I have an Audacity problem" than a "Help! I have an Apple problem." LOL! Funny - most people have problems using Audacity in Catalina; haven't heard much about not being able to use Checker.

For volume, you can use MP3Gain, or you could use the ReplayGain directly in Audacity. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

For the other tech specs, I don't know. Is there a way to view a file's properties in OS? (In Windows, you can right click on an MP3 file and go to Properties, then Details, and you can see the bit rate.)
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

All these can be checked in Audacity or any decent DAW on a Mac. Play the file in any DAW including Audacity and you can get a readout of the maximum peak reading in dB's. It won't tell you if the filename is OK or any of that, but all other important attributes will be seen. (Bit rate - file type - file size - duration etc., etc.) Of course if your recording is loud at certain points and then incredibly low for most of the recording you won't be told that, but it will be obvious from the waveform.
iManar

Post by iManar »

Hello,

I'm new here and I'm trying to start a recording, but I'm getting an error opening recording device -9999. I've allowed the mic to access from laptop settings, still didn't work. Any help?
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

iManar wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 2:33 pm Hello,

I'm new here and I'm trying to start a recording, but I'm getting an error opening recording device -9999. I've allowed the mic to access from laptop settings, still didn't work. Any help?
Can you try in the menu going to 'Transport<Rescan Audio Devices' then making sure the correct mic is selected? That worked for me when I had that issue.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
iManar

Post by iManar »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 2:47 pm
iManar wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 2:33 pm Hello,

Can you try in the menu going to 'Transport<Rescan Audio Devices' then making sure the correct mic is selected? That worked for me when I had that issue.
When I press 'Transport<Rescan Audio Devices', nothing happens, no new window or setting to check
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That's correct - it'll not give you any visual confirmation. But then go to your microphones (shift-I) and make sure your mic is selected.