The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Thanks, Tovarisch. I think I'll stick with the newer version of Audacity. I can do without the ReplayGain feature, as long as I amplify with the peak settings to be no more than -3dbs. That should bring the volume up to the required 89dbs of LV.
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I am yet to succeed in using Checker on a Mac (works fine on Windows :roll: ), but it is another way to verify your volume. And, you're right, we work around our problems with what we have.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

tovarisch wrote:I am yet to succeed in using Checker on a Mac (works fine on Windows :roll: ), but it is another way to verify your volume. And, you're right, we work around our problems with what we have.
I use Checker all the time on my Mac. It works fine. I also have MP3 Gain Express, and that works too. But I always just do my amplification within Audacity. ReplayGain has been great until now, but since I've also started working on ACX projects, I've learned another way to fix the volume, and maintain the peaks at good levels. I'll just have to do the same with LV projects, and then use Checker to verify. So your Audacity 2.2.1 on Windows works well with Replay Gain?

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Ealswythe wrote:So your Audacity 2.2.1 on Windows works well with Replay Gain?
It does. I honestly have no idea why... Those plug-ins are just text files, AFAICT. Aren't they? Maybe there is some kind of permission level (those got to be different on Windows and macOS :roll: ) Then again, I am so new to macOS, that there might be something obvious that I am (and you are) missing. :?
tovarisch
JayS

Post by JayS »

I use an iMac running OSX 10.12.6, Audacity and use both MP3Gain and Checker. They are stand-alone apps and I simply drag the file to the app and it works fine.
I also have a host of other DAWs, plug-ins and the like as I do professional work also.
Jay Salam
Nothing sounds as good as audio! 8-)
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

JayS wrote:I use an iMac running OSX 10.12.6, Audacity and use both MP3Gain and Checker. They are stand-alone apps and I simply drag the file to the app and it works fine.
I also have a host of other DAWs, plug-ins and the like as I do professional work also.
Jay, are you using Audacity 2.2.1? Checker still works for me, but ReplayGain won’t work anymore since I updated, even though I did drag it to the Audacity Plug-ins folder.
MP3 Gain also works for me. They are stand alone apps, and I use that plus Checker separately from Audacity. The problem is ReplayGain.

Carod

Post by Carod »

Thanks MagicMan, I'll check out the LAME file reference, maybe that's it?

Happily, the workaround is not too onerous, so one way or another I should be sorted for that issue now :clap:

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Carod
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

tovarisch wrote:
It does. I honestly have no idea why... Those plug-ins are just text files, AFAICT. Aren't they? Maybe there is some kind of permission level (those got to be different on Windows and macOS :roll: ) Then again, I am so new to macOS, that there might be something obvious that I am (and you are) missing. :?
Here is an update, not sure if it's going to help you... I tried today again to enable ReplayGain plug-in, and then decided to re-download it. Turns out that the Audacity's directory with Nyquist plugins didn't actually have "ReplayGain.ny", and I am not sure why it was in the list of plug-ins at all, listed as residing in that directory. I downloaded it from the Web, placed it in the directory Audacity knew about and then went to enable it again, and voila, it was there and working fine. On a Mac (High Sierra 10.13.2), in v 2.2.1 :shock:
tovarisch
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

tovarisch wrote:
tovarisch wrote:
Here is an update, not sure if it's going to help you... I tried today again to enable ReplayGain plug-in, and then decided to re-download it. Turns out that the Audacity's directory with Nyquist plugins didn't actually have "ReplayGain.ny", and I am not sure why it was in the list of plug-ins at all, listed as residing in that directory. I downloaded it from the Web, placed it in the directory Audacity knew about and then went to enable it again, and voila, it was there and working fine. On a Mac (High Sierra 10.13.2), in v 2.2.1 :shock:
Hi Tovarisch,
I had already checked in my Audacity folder, and I noticed that it was not in there. I re-downloaded ReplayGain, placed it in the plug-ins folder, as you did, but it did not work for me. I looked at the extensions on the other items in that folder, and they match the extensions of the ReplayGain. It's a mystery why it doesn't work for me. :cry:

MrMedusa

Post by MrMedusa »

I've just tried setting up and using Audacity, and the problem was that when playing back, the audio would cut out in the middle of words and make it sound really stuttery and choppy. I reduced the buffering and latency to 50 and everything seemed fine from there...until I recorded my test and realized that the same thing happened with my 'p' sounds. How do I not get my recording to freak out whenever I use harsher letters? I've tried adjusting the input volume but it hasn't worked at all.
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

MrMedusa wrote: January 7th, 2018, 1:10 am I've just tried setting up and using Audacity, and the problem was that when playing back, the audio would cut out in the middle of words and make it sound really stuttery and choppy. I reduced the buffering and latency to 50 and everything seemed fine from there...until I recorded my test and realized that the same thing happened with my 'p' sounds. How do I not get my recording to freak out whenever I use harsher letters? I've tried adjusting the input volume but it hasn't worked at all.
Good morning. I have a set of videos that are tailored to Audacity and this community. They may help. I have my buffering set to 100 and my input level is between a -12dbs and -18dbs when using Audacity for recording. As far as the plosives, (harsh words), trying speaking past your mic and not directly into it. You can also place a wool sock over your mic to act as a pop filter. It does wonders. :thumbs:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

from the readers description it could be Audacity running out of resources - you could try and check what is running in the background and how much memory you have. Your comment that it "cuts out in the middle of a word " sounds a bit like it . Anyhow - it won't hurt to check - doesn't cost anything and can be fixed :D :D

Anne
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

annise wrote: January 7th, 2018, 4:32 am from the readers description it could be Audacity running out of resources
That's what I thought, too. When I record I usually close all other programs and have only the recording program open. Performance was worse before I put a bigger memory into my PC, but it still helps on recordings with tons of tracks to close the other progams :) And my PC is a bit outdated, but not too bad :oops:
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Another thing to do is to get rid of all the older .aup files and their data. Put them in an external drive. Audacity tends to want to read all the files available while it’s working, and this can cause problems, cutting out parts of your recordings. In addition, go to Audacity>About Audacity, and check for any available update. I just got mine updated to the newest version, and it works much better. Before that, it did cut out parts of my recordings at times.

ruthw

Post by ruthw »

Hi everyone, n00b here. I use a chromebook and it wont let me install audacity as it isn't compatible with chrome os. Help, anyone? Thanks in advance!