The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

Hello and THANK YOU to all who replied to my dumb Q.
I think I might have to delete Audacity and re-download it, to make sure I have the latest version.
Meanwhile...
I can, of course, work with the flashdrives, thank goodness.
And I do save the files as mp3, thank goodness.
Onward...LJB :mrgreen:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

Pardon my ignorance, but what would be an output device for audacity? I am using a USB Mic at this time.

If not, any other suggestions? It just does not appear to be working.
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

Sorry...I meant to reply to TriciaG's post to me from last month.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Generally, the input device is the microphone, the output device your speakers or headphones. Some microphones (the Blue Yeti, for example) have a plug for headphones so you can monitor your recording as you speak, and so are effectively both input and output devices.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

Aha! It looks like I just found it out! Thanks so much for your help, PeterWhy and TriciaG!
njgorgen

Post by njgorgen »

Sometimes my Audacity just stops recording (thankfully not often). I can still play what I have recorded but, to continue recording I have to reboot my computer. Anybody else have this problem? Suggestions? Thx Nancy
loon

Post by loon »

njgorgen wrote: June 9th, 2021, 1:14 pm Sometimes my Audacity just stops recording (thankfully not often). I can still play what I have recorded but, to continue recording I have to reboot my computer. Anybody else have this problem? Suggestions? Thx Nancy
I have this occasionally as well. In my case a reboot isn't needed - log out/log back in is enough. I'm still trying to debug this.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

If this is happening with the new version 3.0, it might be because it's still buggy, in which case it might be worth trying an older version 2.**

I see the newest version is 3.0.2 which may or may not have addressed these bugs...
njgorgen

Post by njgorgen »

I have tried just logging out and logging back into Audacity But a reboot is the only thing I have found that works for me.
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

njgorgen wrote: June 10th, 2021, 12:20 pm I have tried just logging out and logging back into Audacity But a reboot is the only thing I have found that works for me.
Do you have enought free disc space before you start to recording?
It will be shown at the bottem of the window after you pressed record (May take a short time before the display appears).
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
njgorgen

Post by njgorgen »

I have a ton of disc space! Nancy
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Rapunzelina wrote: June 9th, 2021, 3:21 pm If this is happening with the new version 3.0, it might be because it's still buggy, in which case it might be worth trying an older version 2.**

I see the newest version is 3.0.2 which may or may not have addressed these bugs...
3.0.2 is a lot more stable than 3.0.0
Medieval History Volume 02 The Rise of the Saracens and the Foundation of the Western Empire 99% 1 left! "The Carlovingian Revolution, and Frankish Intervention in Italy Part 3 by G. L. Burr"
DPL DPL 27 19 43
NeilJaybe

Post by NeilJaybe »

Hi, I've got my mic set up nicely and everything but sometimes when I record, a little bit, maybe half of a second, of the audio is skipped. Anyone else have the same problem? More to the point, has anyone got any idea what might cause it and how it can be fixed? I'm using Audacity 2.1.0. I'll see if I can upload a file to show what I mean... TIA!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi, Neil! One of many possible causes is shortness of memory. I would check to see how much available space there is on the hard disk and also close any other programs when using Audacity to save on RAM.
2.1.0 is a pretty old version (6 years ago I think), maybe the whole computer is old so a hiccup here and there is to be expected ? :mrgreen:
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Is this at the start of the recording or further in?