The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi thanks for that I have checked but it is set to 1.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

wib66 wrote: February 4th, 2021, 10:52 am Hi thanks for that I have checked but it is set to 1.
Weird. If you go to 'effect' 'change' speed is the 'standard vinyl rpm' set to 33 1/3? If that's correct, i can't think of anything else that would cause that issue :shock:
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

wib66 wrote: February 4th, 2021, 10:52 am Hi thanks for that I have checked but it is set to 1.
found this in the audacity forum 'Is the Project Sample Rate lower left and the Sample Rate of the recorded track (on the left) the same?'
wib66

Post by wib66 »

ashleighjane wrote: February 4th, 2021, 11:08 am
found this in the audacity forum 'Is the Project Sample Rate lower left and the Sample Rate of the recorded track (on the left) the same?'
Thank you I have checked those and they are the same. Its just given up on me now and won't record anything. Having a bit of a nightmare. Not sure what has gone wrong.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ashleighjane wrote: February 4th, 2021, 10:41 am
wib66 wrote: February 4th, 2021, 10:38 am Hi all wondering if you can help me. I have uploaded the newest version of audacity and for some reason when I play back my recordings it speeds them up and makes my voice funny any advice gratefully received.
There's a slider in the top right, next to a green 'play' button. Has this been altered somehow? It should be set at 1.00x
If you don't see that slider, you can toggle it on and off by going to View>Toolbars>Play-at-Speed Toolbar. (And I would recommend toggling it off after you check to make sure it's set correctly. Leaving it visible makes it too easy to change it by accident, in my opinion.)
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Thanks everyone for your help. Unfortunately it now won't record anything at all. Can't work out if its my laptop, the microphone or the m-audio fast track pro that I am using to connect my microphone to my computer. No recording for me till I get it sorted. Any ideas greatly welcomed. I have done a search on the internet and tried every suggestion going but just can't get it to work.
Michele
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

wib66 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 1:11 am Thanks everyone for your help. Unfortunately it now won't record anything at all. Can't work out if its my laptop, the microphone or the m-audio fast track pro that I am using to connect my microphone to my computer. No recording for me till I get it sorted. Any ideas greatly welcomed. I have done a search on the internet and tried every suggestion going but just can't get it to work.
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? The equivalent to turning it on and off again :lol:
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Yes I even tried installing an older version in case the new one had messed up somehow but that didn't work either. So frustrating. I think it might be my laptop as I tried a different programme to record and that didn't record either so it has to be my laptop or my microphone set up that is faulty just trying to rule out which one. Gonna try a different laptop later to see if that works. Fingers crossed. Thanks so much for all your advice it is very much appreciated.
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Have finally worked out that it is my laptop which is the problem. Tried another laptop and it workd perfectly. Told my husband he said oh well you will have to buy a new on. So of to the shop I go. :9:
Thanks for everyones help and advice.
Michele
shana122

Post by shana122 »

I just saw this after making a post

So I have successfully recorded stuff with audacity in the past.. I didnt change or toggle with any of the settings beyond what I was told to do when I did my initial one minute test.. So I recorded one chapter successfully, about 20 + minutes long, no issue.. So now I am trying to record another chapter, and it stops recording after 1 minute of audio. I can keep speaking into it but usually at 1:03 thereabout it will stop recording and the sound bar thing shows flatline whenever I speak into it.
shana122

Post by shana122 »

shana122 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 2:16 pm I just saw this after making a post

So I have successfully recorded stuff with audacity in the past.. I didnt change or toggle with any of the settings beyond what I was told to do when I did my initial one minute test.. So I recorded one chapter successfully, about 20 + minutes long, no issue.. So now I am trying to record another chapter, and it stops recording after 1 minute of audio. I can keep speaking into it but usually at 1:03 thereabout it will stop recording and the sound bar thing shows flatline whenever I speak into it.
Nevermind. Apparently my computer has been popping up update notifications which throw off Audacity
anneflebari

Post by anneflebari »

Downloaded Audacity3, recorded test, fine...try to open program again- get Audacity page but nothing works- can't select anything and can't even close, have to go to task bar to close window! Have uninstalled and reinstalled, restarted etc etc..Using laptop and Windows10 ..Anyone else having problems?I hate computers!! Anne
Generoushorse

Post by Generoushorse »

I don't know if this is an Audacity issue or a mic issue...

My recordings are dead Silent until I record, and then the mic picks up all the noise. So the pauses are dead quiet and the voice recordings have background noise.

Is Audacity blocking the silent sound Somehow? or do I need to dig up my Mic's instruction manual?
Roxy
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Generoushorse wrote: March 29th, 2021, 6:11 am I don't know if this is an Audacity issue or a mic issue...

My recordings are dead Silent until I record, and then the mic picks up all the noise. So the pauses are dead quiet and the voice recordings have background noise.

Is Audacity blocking the silent sound Somehow? or do I need to dig up my Mic's instruction manual?
This sounds like noise cancellation on the mic, or some sort of noise gate. Are you using Audacity 3 or an older one? I don't think Audacity has a noise gate feature, so it's probably the mic. (It might be easier to do a web search on your mic than to find instructions in a printed manual.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Generoushorse

Post by Generoushorse »

TriciaG wrote: March 29th, 2021, 6:18 am
This sounds like noise cancellation on the mic, or some sort of noise gate. Are you using Audacity 3 or an older one? I don't think Audacity has a noise gate feature, so it's probably the mic. (It might be easier to do a web search on your mic than to find instructions in a printed manual.)
I believe I'm using audacity 3. Now that I know it's not an audacity problem I'll check to see if its a mic issue.
Roxy