The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Thank you. Actually, I was about to post to say I figured out the problem. When I clicked on the green arrow at the far left I checked "Update display while playing" and that did the trick.
Russ Bruno
BeckyWTX

Post by BeckyWTX »

New user of Audacity.
After editting recording BEFORE Normalize Effect the volume of the saved mp3 is 88.8dB. AFTER Normalize Effect used on the recording then saved as mp3 Volume is 92.1 (beyond Librivox range limits.)
We're always supposed to Normalize the recording, right? Suggestions/guidance?
Thank you pros!
BeckyWTX
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If you're at the right volume without normalizing, then don't normalize. You don't need it. (And as your experience shows, normalizing doesn't always get you to the target volume.)

I don't normalize at all - neither normalize nor amplify - because my input volume is right in the target area.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

BeckyWTX wrote: December 20th, 2020, 12:45 pm New user of Audacity.
After editting recording BEFORE Normalize Effect the volume of the saved mp3 is 88.8dB. AFTER Normalize Effect used on the recording then saved as mp3 Volume is 92.1 (beyond Librivox range limits.)
Thank you pros!
BeckyWTX
Normalize only sets the peak amplitude (and, optionally, corrects any DC bias.)

TriciaG is correct. Why use it if you don't need to?

I still use the two steps of ReplayGain, however. I don't really need to, but sometimes my settings get thrown off. Using Zoom always shifts my volume down, for instance. I don't always remember to correct this. Still, the visuals should warn me about a low volume, but I'm kind of dense when it comes to all this.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

BeckyWTX wrote: December 20th, 2020, 12:45 pm New user of Audacity.
Thank you pros!
BeckyWTX
If you'd like to use Normalize to remove the DC offset, you can uncheck the second check-box, so Normalize will not change the volume at all. Just check the first check-box only.
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Hello everyone,
I FINALLY get my microphone back, plug it in, and... discover that it will not even turn on. It is a Samson Q2U USB. Any tips on reactivating a microphone?
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

Bookworm360 wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 1:17 pm Hello everyone,
I FINALLY get my microphone back, plug it in, and... discover that it will not even turn on. It is a Samson Q2U USB. Any tips on reactivating a microphone?
i see that this particular mic has an on off switch. Is it definitely switched to on? (i know that seems like a silly question but thought it best to check lol
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

Bookworm360 wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 1:17 pm Hello everyone,
Also, i'm guessing it's not showing up at all in your system preferences? it's not just audacity it's not showing up in?
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Precisely. And yes, it is on(and yes, I have made the mistake before. Thanks for the reminder! :wink: )
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Aand now it is working!! :hmm: Never mind, but thanks anyway.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Bookworm360 wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 1:38 pm Aand now it is working!! :hmm: Never mind, but thanks anyway.
Hi Bookworm,
I haven’t been able to reach you by PM (you’ve turned off your private messaging). I know you’ve had a lot of RL busyness lately, but we’re trying to finish up Little Men.... I was wondering if you could finish with Emil as soon as possible. :wink: (I know you were having mic issues and stuff so glad to hear that that’s resolved.)
Thank you!
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

That's good because i didn't have any other ideas lol. I have a macbook air too but i've never had anything like that happen :shock:
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

JayKitty76 wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 1:41 pm
Bookworm360 wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 1:38 pm Aand now it is working!! :hmm: Never mind, but thanks anyway.
Hi Bookworm,
I haven’t been able to reach you by PM (you’ve turned off your private messaging). I know you’ve had a lot of RL busyness lately, but we’re trying to finish up Little Men.... I was wondering if you could finish with Emil as soon as possible. :wink: (I know you were having mic issues and stuff so glad to hear that that’s resolved.)
Thank you!
I was just on my way to upload them!! :D They will be here within 20 minutes!
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi all wondering if you can help me. I have uploaded the newest version of audacity and for some reason when I play back my recordings it speeds them up and makes my voice funny any advice gratefully received.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

wib66 wrote: February 4th, 2021, 10:38 am Hi all wondering if you can help me. I have uploaded the newest version of audacity and for some reason when I play back my recordings it speeds them up and makes my voice funny any advice gratefully received.
There's a slider in the top right, next to a green 'play' button. Has this been altered somehow? It should be set at 1.00x