The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Does importing and exporting a file in and out of Audacity a lot cause the sound quality to become lossy? I've had to do...a lot of editing to a recording I'm working on, and I seem to notice that the older sections sound a little hissy compared to new sections I've had to edit in.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Exporting to MP3 and re-importing from it, multiple times, will cause a degradation of quality. Exporting to and importing from FLAC or WAV will not - they're lossless file types. (FLAC ends up as a smaller file size than WAV.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Ah, OK, thanks! I'll use one of those formats from now on.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
loon

Post by loon »

Scarbo wrote: September 29th, 2020, 11:42 am Does importing and exporting a file in and out of Audacity a lot cause the sound quality to become lossy? I've had to do...a lot of editing to a recording I'm working on, and I seem to notice that the older sections sound a little hissy compared to new sections I've had to edit in.
And, of course, you can save your project in the Audacity native format (.aup).
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I am having problems with Audacity and flac. My main question is: is there anywhere in Audacity that shows you exactly what file you have up on the screen?

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
loon

Post by loon »

You can do a File >> Save As. It will default to the directory your file is in and the exact filename. You can cancel out of the save if it is what you expected.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

:thumbs:
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Every once in awhile when I am attempting to edit a recording, I apparently accidentally click on something that makes the whole track drop down so that only the top half of it is visible. In other words, the "zero" level (at the left end) is at the bottom instead of the middle. Then I have to go through all sorts of machinations to have the track where is belongs. Usually I have to save the whole thing and then past it into a new, empty track. Is there a way, when this track problem happens, to easily move the track back up where it should be?
Russ Bruno
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

The first option under the Edit menu in Audacity is Undo. I'm not sure it will solve your problem, but it would be worth a try.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Shasta wrote: October 1st, 2020, 11:44 am Every once in awhile when I am attempting to edit a recording, I apparently accidentally click on something that makes the whole track drop down so that only the top half of it is visible. In other words, the "zero" level (at the left end) is at the bottom instead of the middle. Then I have to go through all sorts of machinations to have the track where is belongs. Usually I have to save the whole thing and then past it into a new, empty track. Is there a way, when this track problem happens, to easily move the track back up where it should be?
This sounds like a zoom issue. If it happens again, try right clicking on the space with the numbers (0 level, 0.5, etc) and choose "Zoom reset" to see if it helps.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Shasta wrote: October 1st, 2020, 11:44 am Every once in awhile when I am attempting to edit a recording, I apparently accidentally click on something that makes the whole track drop down so that only the top half of it is visible. In other words, the "zero" level (at the left end) is at the bottom instead of the middle. Then I have to go through all sorts of machinations to have the track where is belongs. Usually I have to save the whole thing and then past it into a new, empty track. Is there a way, when this track problem happens, to easily move the track back up where it should be?
You left-clicked the vertical scale on the left. Right-click it. (It takes some extra clicks one way or the other.) I do this all.the.time. :roll:

EDIT: Rapunzelina says the same thing, easier than I did. ;)
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Thank you for your suggestions regarding the wave drop. I haven't yet figured out the solution, but at least I know where I made my mistake and where i may be able to correct it.

Now I have another question about another annoying problem. I use an iMac computer for doing my recording and record with a Yeti (Blue) Multidirectional Stereo Microphone. Much of the time everything proceeds pretty well and then, out of the blue, I get this error message:

"Error opening recording device.
Error Code - 9997 Invalid Sample Rate."

There is a link that gives more information about this error code. For this code number is says that I should be sure that my Audacity "sample rate" matches the sample rate of my "device". The Audacity sample rate 44100 Hz. The recording device is my Yeti (Blue) Stereo Microphone and, at the moment, I have no idea what its "sample rate" is, if it has one. It is certainly nothing that I have fiddled with that should cause this error message to pop up.
Russ Bruno
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

I think I found the solution. When the error problem comes up, if I simply Quit Audacity and then bring it back, the fresh Audacity window doesn't come up with the error message when I try to record.
Russ Bruno
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Everyone,

I have upgraded to a new computer (Lenovo Yoga C740 running Windows 10) and have downloaded the latest version of Audacity. Everything was working fine, but while editing a file, I noticed that the volume had gone from 89 to 75 db and when I tried to amplify it back, I couldn't do so without clipping. I must have touched something wrong on the touch screen. Any ideas?

My best,

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Did you bump the little Gain slider on the left side of the track?