The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thank you all for your help with my jump drive problem--it being too slow for recording. I am doing better with the hard drive, but I notice a great many little spikes making snaps. What's to be done?
Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It depends what they are. Could you upload a short sample, please?

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Will do when I have some more unedited material.
Thanks,
Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Ruth,

I made a short recording as if it were a Librivox project (which it isn't). I didn't get a really loud example of the problem, but at about 39.5 seconds inside the word "scandet" you can hear a faint one of these clicks. There is another little one at about 51.3 seconds after "agrestium".

https://librivox.org/uploads/ruthieg/odebook3_30_horace_128kb.mp3

So even though these examples aren't severe, they may tell you the type of click I am referring to. I edited out the obvious vocal clicks.

Thank you,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I can barely hear the first one, but the one after 'agrestium' is, I am sure, mouth noise - just a tiny bubble of saliva bursting as you take a breath. Intensely annoying, I agree. No-one else probably notices, but you do. There is a very useful additional plug-in for Audacity which is very effective at eliminating these. See viewtopic.php?f=23&t=52753

I would not recommend using this on an entire file. It is not suitable for that, as it may also affect consonant sounds that you do want. But I use it a lot on single words.

Ruth
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thank you, Ruth, for your help!
Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Ruth,

I am beginning to understand from your comments that many more clicks are vocal than I thought, but I have uploaded a file I am working on now with what seems like a computer click. If you could please listen just before 17:17 to the phrase "worked out under the influence of the central government" to the spike in the word "the", I think, and give me your opinion of it, I would be most grateful:

https://librivox.org/uploads/ruthieg/sample_10_haskins_128kb.mp3

Thanks,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I get those too, and often on 'the'. I just tried saying it and listened carefully to my mouth and I am pretty certain there was a click originating between my lower teeth and lower lip. I have made a keyboard shortcut (Edit | Preferences | Keyboard) F8 for the DeClicker and then just highlight the offending word, or part of a word (making sure I don't include the 'd' sound in the highlighted part, which seems particularly affected by DeClicker). Then all I have to do is press F8 and hey presto, that nasty click disappears.

https://librivox.org/uploads/ruthieg/underthe.mp3

Ruth
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Whoa, thanks Ruth. That will be very helpful!!
Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Ruth,

You are right about these ubiquitous vocal clicks, but what is this just before 24 seconds. I was nowhere near the mic?

https://librivox.org/uploads/ruthieg/fourgeorgesvol3_test_128kb.mp3

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Ah, you have me beaten there. I have no idea what that one is, but at least it is easy to cut out :).

I produce some remarkable clicks with my dodgy shoulder joints!

Ruth
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Haha! Thanks, Ruth.
Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Ruth,

With a little help, I was able to download the de-clicker plug-in and, there it is in the Effects menu!
How would you recommend applying it:
1. to the whole recording at the end?
2. or selectively to clicks inside of a vocal section that would otherwise have to be re-recorded?
(clicks in "silent" sections, I can just delete, I think.)

Thanks!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

pnagami wrote:Hi Ruth,

With a little help, I was able to download the de-clicker plug-in and, there it is in the Effects menu!
How would you recommend applying it:
1. to the whole recording at the end?
2. or selectively to clicks inside of a vocal section that would otherwise have to be re-recorded?
(clicks in "silent" sections, I can just delete, I think.)

Thanks!

Pam
She's hopefully asleep, so I'll answer:
Don not apply it to the whole recording. It would take FOREVER, and it would also affect legitimate clicks (the ones that belong in words, like K and T). Just use it on short parts (a word or part of a word) that needs de-clicking. You'll use it multiple times, but it'll be quicker, and the end result will be better. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thanks, TriciaG. I am off and running!
Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson