The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Cori

Post by Cori »

Since I do in fact have an audacity problem, I thought I'd create a general thread for questions. If anyone else has any minor Audacity issues, and wants help with them, you're welcome to add to this thread rather than starting a new one. (If you prefer a new one, that's fine too.)

I'm doing screenshots and posting via postimage.org which allows me to add thumbnails rather than overwhelming the screen. Recommended! Alternatively, please post a link to the image, if applicable.

Image upload services: (free)
http://postimage.org
http://imageshack.us
http://imgur.com
http://tinypic.com

... or any other of your choice.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Cori

Post by Cori »

And, here's my problem:

I've clicked something in Audacity which means that files are opened with this weird pale line in the middle, and if I highlight an area (the first second of the file is highlighted) -- it appears behind the pale section. What single obvious keypush returns me to default settings? Simply closing and opening hasn't helped and I can't find anything helpful in the menus.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

You've clicked the multi-tool (that asterisk beside the magnifier and time shift tool)
If you click the "I" above the magnifier, it will eliminate the pale area :)
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
Cori

Post by Cori »

neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Aw, cute smiley :lol:

How about stickifying this thread?
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

This is actually what my Audacity screen looks like since very early days :mrgreen: It took me a while to figure out why it is so, but since I don't see any particular drawbacks of this, I don't see any point in reverting. Or perhaps I'm wrong? What does this "multi-tool" mode do? The only thing I noticed, though I'm not sure if it's a related issue, is that I have to constantly undo the "envelope" thing, because it is triggered very easily.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Cori

Post by Cori »

I couldn't get an accurate 'grip' on the room-noise at the end (which I was using for noise cleaning) because the pale-background wasn't being highlighted. I always clean using only proper room noise -- no breaths or clicks or chair-wriggles -- and apparently I can't keep quiet more than a couple of seconds.
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

Piotrek81 wrote:This is actually what my Audacity screen looks like since very early days :mrgreen: It took me a while to figure out why it is so, but since I don't see any particular drawbacks of this, I don't see any point in reverting. Or perhaps I'm wrong? What does this "multi-tool" mode do? The only thing I noticed, though I'm not sure if it's a related issue, is that I have to constantly undo the "envelope" thing, because it is triggered very easily.
Piotr,

Multi-tool automatically changes your mouse clicker when your pointer hover over some certain area, like when you place your pointer over the -1.0 line, it becomes an up-down arrow. Multi-tool also gives you a clear view if you are hitting the 0.5 mark or not. It always helps me with my amplifying :)
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
VictoriaBMartin

Post by VictoriaBMartin »

Okay, I'm new here and I'm trying to figure out how to upload my 1-Minute test. But I have a problem. I use the Audacity program for my recordings. I know I need to export my recording so that I can use it with other programs, and I understand that I can't have .aup behind it, but even when I export my program using .wav, the .aup pops up when I insert my file name into the space provided for "Choose a File" while trying to upload. Can anyone help me? This may be hard to understand, but I hope you can follow it.
~A Friend, Victoria
Enjoy adventure, suspense, and romance? Claim a chapter in The Scarlet Pimpernel!
L.M. Montgomery fan? help read Rilla of Ingleside.
I will be on vacation from Oct. 10-19, and will have no access to the internet.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

A couple of things - you may need more help on whichever is the problem so ask.
You need to check where the file is being saved when you export it - and upload from that folder,
You also need to export as an .mp3 file - check you can do that

Anne
VictoriaBMartin

Thanks alot, Anne. I think I've got it figured out. :D
~A Friend, Victoria
Enjoy adventure, suspense, and romance? Claim a chapter in The Scarlet Pimpernel!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

VictoriaBMartin wrote:Okay, I'm new here and I'm trying to figure out how to upload my 1-Minute test. But I have a problem. I use the Audacity program for my recordings. I know I need to export my recording so that I can use it with other programs, and I understand that I can't have .aup behind it, but even when I export my program using .wav, the .aup pops up when I insert my file name into the space provided for "Choose a File" while trying to upload. Can anyone help me? This may be hard to understand, but I hope you can follow it.
Hi Victoria. Welcome to LibriVox. Instead of trying to explain stuff, I've made a video How To Upload Your 1 minute test that may help a bit.

Exporting your file from Audacity can be confusing at first. Saving and Uploading a File to LibriVox might help with that.

The .aup file is the file type that Audacity uses to save it's files but when exporting for Librivox, use the mp3 option. thevideos explain that in detail.

Lots of other videos can be found linked from my signature. (the top one) Glad to have you with us Image
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
VictoriaBMartin

Thank you for the links. I used the first video you listed for uploading, and with Anne's help, I successfully exported and uploaded my recording. I'm thankful for all the help other members have given me. I'm really enjoying being on LibriVox. Thank you!!!
~A Friend, Victoria
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Since this thread is for smaller issues with Audacity, I have one that has bothered me for many months:

How to decrease a selected section by small increments using the keyboard.

When there is a pop or something strange in a word, usually my Ss and the defect is not obvious I highlight the area and slowly decrease the selected area from the right, constantly listening, until the pop is found, then remove just that tiny spot. but I must use my mouse to do it, slowly dragging it across the area, and it is tiring to my had and arm, so I'd like to be able to do it with the keyboard.

Thanks for any advice. Image
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Shift-Arrow increases in the direction of the arrow.

I just discovered by experimentation that Control-Shift-Arrow decreases in the direction of the arrow. Example: You have a highlighted section between time stamps 0:07 and 0:08. Ctrl-Shift-Right Arrow decreases from the side closest to the 0:07 mark.

8-)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine